Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Budapest

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    oldham
    oldham  10198 forum posts England
    7 Sep 2012 - 1:17 PM

I am visiting Budapest shortly and was wondering if anyone can give me advice on any thing of interest and sights of photographic interest

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Sep 2012 - 1:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

llareggub
    llareggub  4706 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Sep 2012 - 3:29 PM

I live in Hungary (a fair distance from Budapest) strolling around you will find tonnes to photograph but there are some cool places worth making a visit too if you are around for a few days.

The statue park on the outskirts of the city is well worth a visit, it is where they took all of the old communist era statues depending on the lighting you can get some great shots of a blast from the cities past. Anwhere along the danube at night is simply spectaular, Heroes square at sunrise is pretty cool. Head over to the BUda side of the river after dark from either the palace or possibly even better the Citadel for some great cityscapes over the danube... The list is huge, when are you going and how long you going for?

Brian Smile

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Sep 2012 - 5:40 PM

You lucky person. Budapest is fantastically photogenic. I only ever had a few hours - up to one day and I got lots of great photographs.

The obvious place to start is Buda. Photographing from the Széchenyi or "Chain" Bridge (on the Pest shore) you will get the classic view of Buda Castle. Cross the bridge and work your way up to the Castle itself for some excellent shots of the details of that building. The quarter just outside the castle is worth a look and particularly the Fisherman's Bastion to the north of the castle. Travel south along the ridge and even down by the river you will find lots to photograph. I found the Citadel and the modernist sculptures there to be very interesting too.

Cross the Freedom Bridge and have a look at the market hall with its lovely roof. Then work you way along through the city to St Stephen's Basilica. As you go look out for the Fin de Siecle Art Nouveau architecture - some in a poor state but much of it very interesting. You have to look for it and the best places are near the Basilica. The church is quite special and worth go inside. If you have time, pay the few pounds and climb to the roof for excellent views.

Next take the underground out to Heroes square - I found it fascinating as is the park nearby with the 19th century Turkish bath and the nearby smaller castle. A curiosity there is the cowled sculpture called "Anonymous" It's a bronze and much photographed. Explore around the lovely Parliament Building - recently cleaned up and really fascinating gothic architecture. I understand it is lovely inside but the queues are very long. Nearby on the river bank is the memorial to the Jews murdered in the second world war. It's quite poignant as it consists of a row of bronze shoes by the quayside. Basically many victims were simply thrown in the Danube and left to drown.

Late evening views by the Danube are excellent and the nighttime shot par excellence is from the Pest bank of the Széchenyi Bridge and the Castle.

Well that's my quick look, but enjoy it, Budapest is lovely.

Alan

llareggub
    llareggub  4706 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Sep 2012 - 1:45 PM

Alan mentioned the spas and they are fabulous places there are several around the city the one near Heroes square is called the Szechenyi and is really cool, good opportimoty for some people shots in there too, generally no issues having a camera in there... If you ghet a chance to go in the evening when it gets chilly the steam off the thermally heated waters makes for some cool images Smile

oldham
    oldham  10198 forum posts England
    8 Sep 2012 - 6:42 PM

Thank you all for your help Regards Gordon

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.