Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Budget DSLR Group test - Your Thoughts!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
MattGrayson
17 Jul 2007 - 11:00 AM

I will be writing ePHOTOzine's first group SLR test on Digitial SLR's under 500 and instead of me blundering through with what I think you want to hear, I want to know what you want me to test on the cameras. For example:
What was/is most important thing when looking for a Digital SLR?
Features? Speed? Build? Name? Lens quality? Resolution?
That kind of thing.

Let me know and I'll try my best to include as many as I can in the test. Unless the thread goes over a few pages!
Cheers Smile

Matt

Last Modified By MattGrayson at 17 Jul 2007 - 5:26 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jul 2007 - 11:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2007 - 11:13 AM

image quality

jaspernina
17 Jul 2007 - 11:16 AM

Probably sounds daft this, but as a newbie, can you remark on what the instructions are like that come with the camera and are they written in a way that people who are new to photography can understand? Smile

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2007 - 11:21 AM

Again, image quality
Ken

Last Modified By KenTaylor at 17 Jul 2007 - 11:22 AM
clancy
clancy  6 Scotland
17 Jul 2007 - 11:24 AM

Image quality
Build quality
Ease of use
Availability of accessories

Prior to buying my first DSLR recently, I read dozens of magazines and their reviews, especially on the Canon 400, Sony Alpha 100 and Nikon D80, the reviews were confusing as there was no clear winner. The only consistency I noticed was that there seemed to be a bias towards Canon. Many magazines gave Canon higher marks for build quality than the Nikon and having handles all three the Nikon is easily better made than the other two.
I bought the Sony as I have Minolta lenses that I can use but would have bought the Nikon D80.

MattGrayson
17 Jul 2007 - 11:28 AM

Of course, Jasper

Thanks guys keep 'em coming...

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2007 - 11:44 AM

I would like to see them reviewed for their suitability for use in the real world.

For example, tripod mounted long exposure low ISO landscape.

A bit of sport photography, overcast day, high ish ISO, a bit of a test of AF performance, metering accuracy as you swept around etc.

Some wildlife photography,

In a portrait session.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2007 - 11:56 AM

ISO Noise.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2007 - 12:00 PM

Good comments.
So what things did you wish had been covered in reviews that you only found out when you bought your camera.

Also were there any things that the magazines did really well that helped you make your decision?

We are aiming to make our comparisons better than the rest. Smile

park my ferret
17 Jul 2007 - 12:07 PM

Maybe you could include a feedback review from people who have owned the cameras - I.E. it could be helpful to list the percentage of each camera make that went wrong within 1 year or something.

heres the first one... Canon 1ds mkII ... within 1 year - shutter developed problem, within 1.5 yrs - shutter failed ... compared to my 20D which I've used about 4 times as much is still fine !!

... so much for high end build quality!!

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2007 - 12:19 PM

Difficult to do Pete because as you work with your camera you adjust how you work with it to do things.

Real world quality data would be handy as suggested in the post above. My nieces husband went through 5 D50's to get one that worked for example. Is that a fluke or representative though? And do those who experience problems speak up while those who are happy just go out and take photo's ?

Coleslaw
17 Jul 2007 - 12:28 PM

maybe cheapest price you can find, rather than high street price as normally stated in the magazines.

theorderingone
17 Jul 2007 - 12:34 PM

Second opinions for different types of photography on handling, exposure, features etc.

One man's meat is another's poison after all.

MattGrayson
17 Jul 2007 - 12:54 PM

My WORD is all you need. Smile

Last Modified By MattGrayson at 17 Jul 2007 - 12:55 PM
conrad
conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2007 - 1:06 PM

Lens compatibility. Many first-time DSLR buyers may already have a film SLR.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.