Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Budget DSLR Group test - Your Thoughts!

MattGrayson 7 622 3 England
17 Jul 2007 11:00AM
I will be writing ePHOTOzine's first group SLR test on Digitial SLR's under 500 and instead of me blundering through with what I think you want to hear, I want to know what you want me to test on the cameras. For example:
What was/is most important thing when looking for a Digital SLR?
Features? Speed? Build? Name? Lens quality? Resolution?
That kind of thing.

Let me know and I'll try my best to include as many as I can in the test. Unless the thread goes over a few pages!
Cheers Smile

Matt

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Jul 2007 11:13AM
image quality
jaspernina 7 1.0k Wales
17 Jul 2007 11:16AM
Probably sounds daft this, but as a newbie, can you remark on what the instructions are like that come with the camera and are they written in a way that people who are new to photography can understand? Smile
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2007 11:21AM
Again, image quality
Ken
clancy 7 4 Scotland
17 Jul 2007 11:24AM
Image quality
Build quality
Ease of use
Availability of accessories

Prior to buying my first DSLR recently, I read dozens of magazines and their reviews, especially on the Canon 400, Sony Alpha 100 and Nikon D80, the reviews were confusing as there was no clear winner. The only consistency I noticed was that there seemed to be a bias towards Canon. Many magazines gave Canon higher marks for build quality than the Nikon and having handles all three the Nikon is easily better made than the other two.
I bought the Sony as I have Minolta lenses that I can use but would have bought the Nikon D80.
17 Jul 2007 11:28AM
Of course, Jasper

Thanks guys keep 'em coming...
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2007 11:44AM
I would like to see them reviewed for their suitability for use in the real world.

For example, tripod mounted long exposure low ISO landscape.

A bit of sport photography, overcast day, high ish ISO, a bit of a test of AF performance, metering accuracy as you swept around etc.

Some wildlife photography,

In a portrait session.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Jul 2007 11:56AM
ISO Noise.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
17 Jul 2007 12:00PM
Good comments.
So what things did you wish had been covered in reviews that you only found out when you bought your camera.

Also were there any things that the magazines did really well that helped you make your decision?

We are aiming to make our comparisons better than the rest. Smile
park my ferret 10 1.0k United Kingdom
17 Jul 2007 12:07PM
Maybe you could include a feedback review from people who have owned the cameras - I.E. it could be helpful to list the percentage of each camera make that went wrong within 1 year or something.

heres the first one... Canon 1ds mkII ... within 1 year - shutter developed problem, within 1.5 yrs - shutter failed ... compared to my 20D which I've used about 4 times as much is still fine !!

... so much for high end build quality!!
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2007 12:19PM
Difficult to do Pete because as you work with your camera you adjust how you work with it to do things.

Real world quality data would be handy as suggested in the post above. My nieces husband went through 5 D50's to get one that worked for example. Is that a fluke or representative though? And do those who experience problems speak up while those who are happy just go out and take photo's ?
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Jul 2007 12:28PM
maybe cheapest price you can find, rather than high street price as normally stated in the magazines.
theorderingone 10 2.4k United Kingdom
17 Jul 2007 12:34PM
Second opinions for different types of photography on handling, exposure, features etc.

One man's meat is another's poison after all.
17 Jul 2007 12:54PM
My WORD is all you need. Smile
conrad 10 10.9k 116
17 Jul 2007 1:06PM
Lens compatibility. Many first-time DSLR buyers may already have a film SLR.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.