Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Budget Lighting Kit advice please (specifically relevant to Elinchrom D-Lite IT 4...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chelle
    chelle  977 forum posts
    9 Oct 2011 - 10:12 PM

Hi all!

I currently have the Elinchrom D-Lite 4 twin head lighting kit. I have been using it for around 3/4 years now and I really like it, apart from one thing (see below).

I have previously used this kit for Uni work and portrait shoots for family and friends. I have been asked to start doing events now but in previous non-paid shoots I have noticed that my lighting kit seems to get really hot and stop working after a couple of hours or so. I think I read somewhere about problems with overheating issues and so assume this is why my lights turn themselves off after a couple of hours use?

At the events I will be doing I will need the lighting to be lasting a lot longer than just a couple of hours so I was thinking about upgrading to the new Elinchrom D-Lite IT 4 lighting kit instead. (My budget isn't very big which is why I'm looking at Elinchrom's cheaper kits.)

Can anyone tell me if the new D-Lite IT 4 kit has overheating issues too as I don't really want to go from one unsuitable kit to another? And also are they suitable for long periods of use (at events or for portrait shoots)?

If they aren't ok for these then are there any similar priced lighting kits anyone would recommend that are suitable for long lengths of time?

Thankyou in advance!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Oct 2011 - 10:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miked70
    miked70  5225 forum posts South Africa3 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2011 - 5:56 AM

first are you leaving the modeling lamp on as this is un-needed heat as well what you need are fan cooled units check spec. of new unit but dont think they have,and it sounds like you are using them at or near full power another problem my need to up the power on the new ones,i have done studio days of over 1300 shots and no problem(not elinchrom) with no sign of overheating i use the Jinbei units

popeyebilly
    10 Oct 2011 - 6:58 AM

I have D lite IT 4 kits and i only use it at home for now, but it gets used alot and i have had no problems. I got them because I was on a course and the course used them in his actual studio. They were on for a good 7 hours and getting used by 6 students in quick succession. He uses these lights every week and he has had no problems.

Ant

Miles Herbert
    10 Oct 2011 - 8:46 AM

The old D-lites had no built in fan and are prone to overheating if you work them hard with the modelling lights on. The new ones, including the ITs, have a built in cooling fan, so much more dependable. Our ITs are used on photo days for portrait and model shoots where they are in use just about all day and as yet have never had a problem despite some very hard usage.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72306 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2011 - 5:32 PM

I have the 2/4 d-lite kit that came out just before the 'IT' model. It has constant fan cooling, and was on for 7hrs in a studio yesterday with modeling lamps on.
    The 'IT' range seem quite pricey, so if you can, get the version before - they sell on ebay for 200-400 quid(per kit) depending on condition and usage.
    I'm thinking of getting a second set too.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.