Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Budget studio flash kit?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315154 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2013 - 4:37 PM

Quote: If it is going to be used everyday, you really should be looking at 400Ws heads like Bowens Gemini. I suspect the cheaper kits are built for amateur who use the kit only occasionally and will not last very long if used daily.

Yeh I believe I said that amd linked to two 400w head setups, and recommended twin head sets, try and find decent 3 head sets with a budget of 500 and your going to run into problems, you could always add a third light later on, perhaps with a little more power.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Jul 2013 - 4:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
4 Jul 2013 - 9:13 PM

Try to get a set of identical lights. That way, the modelling light will be proportional to the flash output and the setup will be WYSIWYG.

When She-who-must-be-obeyed retired from wedding photography and started to do "bumps" in the studio, the WYSIWYG gave her far better control of the lighting and eliminated the guesswork.

Alda
Alda  146 forum posts United Kingdom27 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2013 - 12:41 AM

Right well, following all your advice, these two look good:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-elinchrom-400-400-d-lite-4-rx-softbox/p153330...
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lastolite-lumen8-twin-head-softbox-kit/p15184...

The Elinchrom one sounds good although it's more expensive, because it has user-replaceable bulbs. Is that very important?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315154 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2013 - 2:43 AM

Quote: because it has user-replaceable bulbs. Is that very important?

Flash tubes Smile

Nah not really unless you like throwing your lights around, a lot of the cheaper units have user replaceable tubes, it saves the manufacturers on cost.

The Lumens will be a better choice than the d lights.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2013 - 7:04 AM

Quote:
The Elinchrom one sounds good although it's more expensive, because it has user-replaceable bulbs. Is that very important?

I am pretty sure that the info on the Wex site is out of date as the new Lumen8 units have user replacable flash tubes.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72190 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2013 - 8:06 AM

Quote:
The Lumens will be a better choice than the d lights.

I could argue the toss about this, but I'm not going to Smile

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72190 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2013 - 8:14 AM

Quote: The Elinchrom one sounds good although it's more expensive, because it has user-replaceable bulbs. Is that very important?

I am pretty sure that the info on the Wex site is out of date as the new Lumen8 units have user replacable flash tubes.

On the subject of 'out of date', this 2009 Chris Burfoot Portrait lighting course is being shown as related content on the News tab on this page.

Alda
5 Jul 2013 - 8:34 AM

Quote: On the subject of 'out of date', this 2009 Chris Burfoot Portrait lighting course is being shown as related content on the News tab on this page.

Oh bugger! I missed it! TongueWinkGrinGrin

Last Modified By Alda at 5 Jul 2013 - 8:35 AM
Paul Morgan
5 Jul 2013 - 2:06 PM

Quote: I could argue the toss about this, but I'm not going to

Yeh there is probably very little in it, apart from fitting mount Smile

Those new Metz units look interesting that I linked to, I`m not even sure if there out yet.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 5 Jul 2013 - 2:07 PM
arhb
5 Jul 2013 - 3:02 PM

Thing is with Lastolite, they make some great studio accessories - their pop-up light reflectors and and pop-up backgrounds are the best and I have one of each.
They dont have the background history in studio lighting that Elinchrom do.
Lastolite even make light modifiers for Elinchrom lights - specifically the Ranger Quadra.

Will take a look at Metz link now.

Paul Morgan
5 Jul 2013 - 3:29 PM

Interfit do a range of lights now that come with power packs, but I think they only come in single head kits.

They look like great value for money though, and give you a choice of a standard mains lead connection or going mobile with the supplied battery pack.

The only thing with them though is I don`t believe there all that powerful.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 5 Jul 2013 - 3:31 PM
arhb
5 Jul 2013 - 3:53 PM

Power, and portability are often the factors that make or break the location lighting systems.

Paul Morgan
5 Jul 2013 - 3:58 PM

Yes very true

Alda
8 Jul 2013 - 9:42 AM

Thanks for all your input guys GrinGrin

So it looks like it's between these three:

Metz: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-metz-bl-400-twin-head-softbox-kit/p1537993?cm...

Elinchrom: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-elinchrom-400-400-d-lite-4-rx-softbox/p153330...

Lastolite: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lastolite-lumen8-twin-head-softbox-kit/p15184...

In your experienced opinions, which one would be best?

arhb
8 Jul 2013 - 10:37 AM

E L I N C H R O M ..... based on personal experience.
Save up for the Rotalux if you want quality softboxes.
Buy the deflectors too.
It might be worth phoning The Flash Centre in Birmingham to see if they'll give you a better deal than WEX - you never know Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.