Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Budget studio flash kit?

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
4 Jul 2013 4:37PM

Quote:If it is going to be used everyday, you really should be looking at 400Ws heads like Bowens Gemini. I suspect the cheaper kits are built for amateur who use the kit only occasionally and will not last very long if used daily.

Yeh I believe I said that amd linked to two 400w head setups, and recommended twin head sets, try and find decent 3 head sets with a budget of 500 and your going to run into problems, you could always add a third light later on, perhaps with a little more power.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 6 4.7k
4 Jul 2013 9:13PM
Try to get a set of identical lights. That way, the modelling light will be proportional to the flash output and the setup will be WYSIWYG.

When She-who-must-be-obeyed retired from wedding photography and started to do "bumps" in the studio, the WYSIWYG gave her far better control of the lighting and eliminated the guesswork.
Alda 2 46 27 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2013 12:41AM
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
5 Jul 2013 2:43AM

Quote: because it has user-replaceable bulbs. Is that very important?

Flash tubes Smile

Nah not really unless you like throwing your lights around, a lot of the cheaper units have user replaceable tubes, it saves the manufacturers on cost.

The Lumens will be a better choice than the d lights.
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2013 7:04AM

Quote:
The Elinchrom one sounds good although it's more expensive, because it has user-replaceable bulbs. Is that very important?

I am pretty sure that the info on the Wex site is out of date as the new Lumen8 units have user replacable flash tubes.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2013 8:06AM

Quote:
The Lumens will be a better choice than the d lights.

I could argue the toss about this, but I'm not going to Smile
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2013 8:14AM

Quote:The Elinchrom one sounds good although it's more expensive, because it has user-replaceable bulbs. Is that very important?

I am pretty sure that the info on the Wex site is out of date as the new Lumen8 units have user replacable flash tubes.

On the subject of 'out of date', this 2009 Chris Burfoot Portrait lighting course is being shown as related content on the News tab on this page.
5 Jul 2013 8:34AM

Quote: On the subject of 'out of date', this 2009 Chris Burfoot Portrait lighting course is being shown as related content on the News tab on this page.

Oh bugger! I missed it! TongueWinkGrinGrin
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
5 Jul 2013 2:06PM

Quote:I could argue the toss about this, but I'm not going to

Yeh there is probably very little in it, apart from fitting mount Smile

Those new Metz units look interesting that I linked to, I`m not even sure if there out yet.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2013 3:02PM
Thing is with Lastolite, they make some great studio accessories - their pop-up light reflectors and and pop-up backgrounds are the best and I have one of each.
They dont have the background history in studio lighting that Elinchrom do.
Lastolite even make light modifiers for Elinchrom lights - specifically the Ranger Quadra.

Will take a look at Metz link now.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
5 Jul 2013 3:29PM
Interfit do a range of lights now that come with power packs, but I think they only come in single head kits.

They look like great value for money though, and give you a choice of a standard mains lead connection or going mobile with the supplied battery pack.

The only thing with them though is I don`t believe there all that powerful.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2013 3:53PM
Power, and portability are often the factors that make or break the location lighting systems.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
5 Jul 2013 3:58PM
Yes very true
8 Jul 2013 9:42AM
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2013 10:37AM
E L I N C H R O M ..... based on personal experience.
Save up for the Rotalux if you want quality softboxes.
Buy the deflectors too.
It might be worth phoning The Flash Centre in Birmingham to see if they'll give you a better deal than WEX - you never know Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.