Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Budget studio flash kit?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Alda
Alda  246 forum posts United Kingdom27 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2013 - 11:42 PM

I found this one that also looks good

http://www.juststudiogear.co.uk/interfit-int477-ex400-ti-2-head-flash-kit.html

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jul 2013 - 11:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cathal
cathal  10492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2013 - 11:56 PM

Quote: Oh, and most of the nude/glamour shots in my pf were taken at studio tuition days, so I didn't have much to do with the lighting. The tutor, however, didn't really teach much and is a little bit reluctant to answer questions

Sigh... which is the whole point of the tuition... to teach you lighting and posing. I despair!

Actually, it's one of the reasons I hate it when judging a club competition where a series of images from a club studio session are introduced. In most cases, one person will have set the lights up and the rest just snapped away.

Alda
10 Jul 2013 - 12:07 AM

Quote: Sigh... which is the whole point of the tuition... to teach you lighting and posing. I despair!

Especially with what we pay them for the tuition! But I was told (more than once) that I'm not allowed to use the imaged in my professional pf.

Last Modified By Alda at 10 Jul 2013 - 12:07 AM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72332 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2013 - 8:06 AM

Quote: Sigh... which is the whole point of the tuition... to teach you lighting and posing. I despair!

Especially with what we pay them for the tuition! But I was told (more than once) that I'm not allowed to use the imaged in my professional pf.

That also runs contrary to the established group and 1-2-1 workshops I've attended -
the strictest being to submit images we wanted to publish to the model/tutor, and this was merely a formality - it had to be bad to get a refusal.
Maybe put this workshop down to experience Smile

That said, whilst you need something to start a portfolio, it is better to clear out the workshop images when you have sufficient number of images to use from your own shoots.

I just looked on Amazon and there are 2-3 books on lighting boudoir and art nude that might be some help,
plus there are bound to be some youtube tutorial that would cover lighting that is appropriate for these genres.

miptog
miptog  93532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2013 - 3:21 PM

Quote: In most cases, one person will have set the lights up and the rest just snapped away.

A good way to learn how to light is to let each shooter set up the lights at each change of shooter, and to keep the lighting set-up's simple at first (e.g one light), and then build on that. This approach though lends itself to either 1-2-1 tuition or just 2 or 3 shooters, so will likely be more expensive.

In my experience, and ignoring both the post production process, and pre-production (e.g Hair and Makeup), there are two key parts to get a good photos; 1) the ability to set up the lights well, 2) the ability to get the best out of your model.

Last Modified By miptog at 10 Jul 2013 - 3:22 PM
Pottzi
Pottzi  3 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2013 - 10:18 AM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobo-Lighting-Merlin-Remote-Controllable-600Ws-LCD-Stu...

These have had good reviews in the past. Within your budget and Bowens fit.

Alda
3 Sep 2013 - 11:25 PM

Right, thanks for all your help. I'm ready to buy now and I think I've settled on this:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-elinchrom-400-400-d-lite-4-rx-softbox/p153330...

Any final thoughts before I click buy? GrinGrinGrin

LesleyJ
LesleyJ  7144 forum posts England
4 Sep 2013 - 2:50 PM

I have this setits bowens and I love it. I have taken it to parties and wedding or set it up in my home studio. Just slighting over your budget but well worth it.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44037 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2013 - 4:03 PM

I agree about the D-Lites - can't fault them. Very reliable

Another thing...are 60x60 softboxes going to be big enough? You may consider going up to 90x60 if thinking of taking full-length images, not just upper body shots.

Malc

Alda
4 Sep 2013 - 4:07 PM

Quote: I agree about the D-Lites - can't fault them. Very reliable

Another thing...are 60x60 softboxes going to be big enough? You may consider going up to 90x60 if thinking of taking full-length images, not just upper body shots.

Malc

I am going to phone them and see if I can upgrade one of the softboxes Malc. But I also may buy a cheaper one with grid, or a strip light. GrinGrin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.