Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Budget Tablet advice anyone ??

pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2012 12:58PM
Thinking of getting my 7yr old a tablet as he loves looking at lego on youtube and playing the odd game , he has an ipod touch but its just too small ..

Anyone give me any advice , need good wifi and browsing flash/ video etc maybe display photos with it occasionally and under 150

thank you !

Andrew

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
2 Apr 2012 2:20PM
I was half-thinking about getting an iPad (my wife loves hers) but ultimately decided to get a netbook with a 10.1" screen mainly because it has a big HDD and USB connectivity so I can use it as a travel back-up device for my camera memory cards as well as an "on the hoof" e-mail and internet wifi connection.

The other advantage (which I don't use much) is that it is a "full" Windows computer. And, of course, much cheaper than an iPad.

I think (but may be wrong) that most "tablets" are similar to the iPad in that they only run "apps" rather than full programs and it could be that, as your son gets a wee bit older, this factor will be a restriction to what he can do with it.
scartlane 3 68 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2012 3:08PM
I wouldnt let the "Apps" part disuade you, I have just got a motorola xoom, cos bascially my lappy broke n it was on a silly deal cos a newer vesion has been released.

You can get apps that will do everything you need to, printing, nas drives, cloud based storage, office, games, security, photoshop, different photo options, and videos etc,

im not sure what you can get for your 150 tho, thats my sticking point, ive had one that was like 70 quid from china n it was rubbish, but this one was around 270 (200 quid off!)
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2012 5:10PM
I have seen quite a few for the 100-150 mark but dont really know if theyre going to suffice but cant justify 300-400 on a 7ry old , he has got a laptop just prefers to use the ipod as its much easier !
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2012 6:41AM
tablets that are less than about 300 dont seem to have the android market option, cant remember why, but they dont have the ability to access the market, so whatever is on them when you buy them is on them for life. I got the xoom too, as it was on offer, down from 500 to 329, and cant fault it.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2012 7:47AM
Motorola Xoom 2 is excellent. I saw them listed at 280 a few days ago.

Sub 150 tablets can have android market, probably don't all have it though.
A year ago they had resistive screens which were usable, but not always very good.
Don't know what they're like now.

(Using the XOOM now btw)
scartlane 3 68 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2012 8:11AM
id suggest if he is used to his ipod then a sub 150 tablet would be a dissapointment to him,

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.