Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Building & running your own web site.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • 1
    • »
    Richardtyrrelllandscapes

    As most of you know, I have only been taking pictures since Christmas 06. However I do have a love for motor sports, more so motorcycle racing and track days. I have a few contact in bike shops that run track days and also the owner of a moto x track, which means getting to these events should not be a problem.

    A few of my friends now have been saying that the pictures that I take at track day events are fantastic and that I should start my own web site. Its something that they have been saying for a while now, so obviously I have been starting to think of doing so.
    I donít intend to start a serious business here as Iím in full time employment, but only work on a two weeks at work and two weeks at home basis, photography is only a hobby to me, but I would get a kick from people buying my pictures as memories of there day on track, and some extra cash would be good for new gear so I could supply hopefully better images.

    Just like everything else I do in life, I must know everything about it before I go ahead with it, (Iím a control freak) so I know what is happening at all stages of progress, so I have some questions that I would like answered , and I canít think of anywhere else to ask for true answers from the members of this site.

    Firstly the web site questions.

    Does anyone have any preferences between these ready to go sites and building your own site as one of my mates has offered to build me one but has never built one that connects to pay pal. Whatís your opinions on these sites.

    I shoot track day shots as Jpegís and I know I will have to copyright them, so will I have to start saving them as PSD files to remove copyrights stamps before printing.

    Does anyone have any tips that could help me out here please.

    I know these questions might sound silly to some folks, but I am new to photography.

    Thanks for any help.

    Richie.

    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Oct 2007 - 9:01 PM

    Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

    richard00
    richard00  8504 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2007 - 10:01 PM

    Professionally done sites are always better than the ready made ones, but they come at a price. Only use a mate if they really know what they are doing [i.e. do it for a living] - as you need someone who can design something eye catching, as well as functional.

    For what they cost photium etc are cost effective and visually appealing enough for most peoples needs - they are good enough to sell pictures via without having to spend a lot of money. Photium costs £80 a year and gives eveything you need [more expensive packages are available], including domain name - or why not try it for a few months - I'm thinking of it as a cost effective way of doing things

    Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Hugeknot
    Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2007 - 11:33 PM

    Hey, why not try both!

    If you can learn HTML and then CSS (google for online help) and try building the site yourself. You can do this on your computer for free, all you need is word pad and a browser.

    Paypal is very simple to set up as they will provide the code for you to put on your website. It gets a bit more complicated if you have different prices for different images, but not impossible.

    If this fails, or you don't get what you want, you can always try a site like photium.

    I think that if you are going to run a website, it is always best to know some of the basic code. If you get stuck, you can always ask one of us, there is plenty of knowledge on this site. Feel free to PM me with any (easy) questions.

    Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Richardtyrrelllandscapes


    Quote: Professionally done sites are always better than the ready made ones, but they come at a price. Only use a mate if they really know what they are doing [i.e. do it for a living] - as you need someone who can design something eye catching, as well as functional.

    For what they cost photium etc are cost effective and visually appealing enough for most peoples needs - they are good enough to sell pictures via without having to spend a lot of money. Photium costs £80 a year and gives eveything you need [more expensive packages are available], including domain name - or why not try it for a few months - I'm thinking of it as a cost effective way of doing things

    Richard, thanks very much for your advice on photium. I've had agood look through the site and its just what I need to start off with.
    I will discuss it with my mate and see what he thinks of it as he is the IT and software sharp shooter.

    Thanks again.

    Richie.

    Richardtyrrelllandscapes


    Quote: Hey, why not try both!

    If you can learn HTML and then CSS (google for online help) and try building the site yourself. You can do this on your computer for free, all you need is word pad and a browser.

    Paypal is very simple to set up as they will provide the code for you to put on your website. It gets a bit more complicated if you have different prices for different images, but not impossible.

    If this fails, or you don't get what you want, you can always try a site like photium.

    I think that if you are going to run a website, it is always best to know some of the basic code. If you get stuck, you can always ask one of us, there is plenty of knowledge on this site. Feel free to PM me with any (easy) questions.

    Another reason I have asked the question on here is because I knew there was people on here who could help me out with this. I may have a good at doing my own web site as 300 images on the photium site is not a lot when I think that I may take over 700 at a day out shooting track side.
    All the same I'll have to learn a little more before I jump into the deep end as I like to ensure I know what I'm doing.
    Thanks for the offer of pm'ing you for advice, I hope you don't regret it. lol...

    I had alook at your web site there and the first thing that struck me was the fantastic colours that just draw you into looking around..

    Thanks again.
    Richie.

    StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014859 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Oct 2007 - 1:05 AM

    You need to read everything here. I have been researching for a month or so, and all my questions were answered on this site. I signed with PowWeb last night for $77.77 usd/year plus the privacy option for an extra $8.99/year. This includes 2 months free, and free registration of your domain name. The space is huge, and you won't ever use it all. The price includes free software to build your site, including your own design, or one of theirs, or any combination thereof. My friend recommended the host that I chose, because of 2 years worry and trouble-free service. This includes everything, including a shopping cart and payment settup. Read it for yourself, it's a deal.

    Good luck,
    Denny

    Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    snapperpaul
    4 Oct 2007 - 8:22 AM

    An easy way to have galleries and paypal is to EOS template on any site you build / get built. EOS has nothing to do with canon but stands for Enhanced Ordering System, even a complete HTML novice managed to get it onto my site (that I had built professionally) - just took an evening - complete flexibility in galleries / payment options / products / prices etc etc.

    Another cheap alternative for pre built sites tat you tweak is bluedomain.com prices start from $200, so with the current exchange rate they are v tempting

    Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    mikeweeks
    mikeweeks  9954 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Oct 2007 - 10:43 AM

    Instead of paying for the EOS template you may like to look at Ultimate Free template which could have you and running very quickly with payment via PayPal.
    If you are using your web site to attract potential new clients then there is more importance on the design, if however you are handing out cards at events and the photos are on spec it is the ability to view them that is most important and the design can take second place.

    Mike

    Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Richardtyrrelllandscapes

    Thanks for all your feed back folks. I'll be doing a little more research into whatís best for me and what works best for viewing the images.
    As the walrus has said, I will only be displaying images for people to purchase, as cards will be handed out with the web site details on it and words of mouth is always your best bet after some satisfied customers.

    Richie.

    Richardtyrrelllandscapes

    Well folks thanks very much for your advice on this one. As I have said before its the people on here that make this site so great.

    I have opted to go with a 30 day free trial with photium, and I have secured a domain name for the web site from websitepalace.com. However its won't been linked to the site until I decide whether I will be taking out the yearly plan and purchasing the wed site.

    I never thought I would have a website never mind a sports photography one, but thatís ephotozine for you. you can learn so much in such a short time on this site due to the wealth of experience.

    Thanks for your help folks.

    Richie.

    aftertherain
    6 Oct 2007 - 4:31 PM

    I've been considering this site
    to run alongside my clickpic website.
    I need something where I can post 'event' photographs, like Gilsland Agricultural Show.
    I've asked a few users for feedback and it's all been positive.
    They also have referral scheme so if you can put in the email address of someone already signed up you get a $5 discount.
    Maybe if you're covering motorsports then this would suit you for the same reasons.

    Last Modified By aftertherain at 6 Oct 2007 - 4:32 PM
    Richardtyrrelllandscapes


    Quote: I've been considering this site
    to run alongside my clickpic website.
    I need something where I can post 'event' photographs, like Gilsland Agricultural Show.
    I've asked a few users for feedback and it's all been positive.
    They also have referral scheme so if you can put in the email address of someone already signed up you get a $5 discount.
    Maybe if you're covering motorsports then this would suit you for the same reasons.

    I've gone ahead and paid out for the first year. I've also got the domain name and the site is up and running. For me i think its a good starting point and I should be able to make improvements as I go.

    Thanks again for the help and advice folks.

    Richie.

    snapperpaul
    8 Oct 2007 - 12:01 PM

    so whats the link then

    rictac2
    rictac2  10150 forum posts England
    9 Oct 2007 - 5:17 PM

    Richard,
    You may also get a trial with theimagefile.
    You can see my site hosted by them here

    Richardtyrrelllandscapes


    Quote: So whats the link then

    My web site
    Its nothing great but its a start for me.
    Photography is only a hobby for me.


    Quote: Richard,
    You may also get a trial with theimagefile.
    You can see my site hosted by them here

    I like the format of your site. Thereís some great shots there as well. I've signed up for a year with photium so I'll see how this goes first before exploring anything else.

    Thanks anyway folks, and a big thanks for all you're advice..

    Richie.

    Last Modified By Richardtyrrelllandscapes at 9 Oct 2007 - 9:30 PM
    • «
    • 1
    • »

    Add a Comment

    You must be a member to leave a comment

    Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.