Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Building a DIY battery pack for stobes/lighting on location

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    scotty99
    scotty99  8121 forum posts
    28 Mar 2014 - 9:06 PM

I used to have one of those Innovotronix explorer XTs a few years back, which died on me (out of warranty!) After a break from photography, I want to get shooting again using my flash heads Bowens 500ws on location where there is no mains power, but cannot afford a battery pack (Innovotronix has doubled in price from when I bought one)

I came across I few articles on making one, as they are basically a pure sine wave inverter/car battery.Just wondering If anyone has made one, or if any sparkies can give me some specs to look for, as the articles are mainly using US/non UK components/wattage. Would like to have one to power poss 4x 500w heads, which would need a peak output of 2000w sine wave inverter. Link below to explain better than me!!

http://www.photigy.com/diy-portable-power-system-for-paul-c-buff-monolights-vaga...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Mar 2014 - 9:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    29 Mar 2014 - 2:58 PM

In the interests of Elfin Safety, I'd advise you to buy a ready-made mains inverter and connect it to a 12v "leisure" battery from a caravan supplier. Leisure batteries are designed to be carried around and generally have handles for this purpose. Car batteries are designed to give the many hundreds of Amps needed for the starter motor for a short time but don't usually store a lot of energy.

The other possibility is a petrol-powered generator but feed your flash kit via an AVR (automatic voltage regulator) so that voltage spikes don't kill your valuable kit.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315485 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2014 - 3:02 PM

I once converted one of those un interuptal power supplies designed for PC backup, it worked well for a while.

The worst bit was disabling the speaker to stop it bleeping.

scotty99
    29 Mar 2014 - 6:27 PM

Cheers for the replies, much appreciated. Yep I'll look into a leisure battery, thanks for the heads up regards health and safety Wink. Will have to look into adding a grounding to it, being diy and all

scotty99
    5 Apr 2014 - 12:13 AM

Looking at this inverter to power 2x500w bowens heads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200985923751?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa...

What size battery would be suitable to run this inverter, thinking something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271148368751?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.