Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Building a new computer possibly!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    studioline
    23 Feb 2012 - 12:41 PM

It has been a long time since I put a computer together and I was hoping for some advice. To start of with, my system at present is a small for factor acer with and amd phenom x4 , 4g ddr2 (max) and 1tb memory. Nvidia feforce g100

I have noticed that the computer is struggling a little on multi layer cs4 files and hence it may be wise to get a new machine before this one struggles with the file sizes of the d800.

I would appreciate anyones thoughts on what I should be looking to get. I am thinking if I am going for a larger size computer then I should get all the back ups etc internal and maybe have a raid configuration. I am also unsure about all the new processors that are on the market and finally would a quality graphics card make a difference with 2d images as seen on photoshop.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Feb 2012 - 12:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
    lemmy  71776 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Feb 2012 - 3:00 PM

Quote: and finally would a quality graphics card make a difference with 2d images as seen on photoshop.

For Photoshop you only need a card (these days the inbuilt graphics on the M/b is plenty good enough) which supports the resolution of your monitor.

Photoshop will transfer some functions to a graphics card if you are working on 3D rendering or with very, very large and complex images but these are unlikely to be normal photographic images.(This is from Adobe Photoshop knowledge-base). You might want a graphics card that has multiple outputs if you plan to use a multi-monitor setup, just top get the connectors but any one with the required sockets will do. Also, if you are short on memory PS will transfer some of the load to card but you are very unlikely to buy a machine that is short on memory.

I've just bought a very nice second desktop computer from YoYO Tech. They have a basic setup range which you can then go on to customize on line. I've just received and set mine up - nicely wired internally, silent in operation. I opted for an i3 processor since I don't play games or do anything that requires massive processing power except video making which is smooth and fast on the i3 anyway. I've put machines together myself in the past but unless it's something you really enjoy (I used to), you might as well have it made for you,. That way, if anything goes wrong you have the warranty from the company to fall back on. The price can also be better through a maker.

MeanGreeny
    23 Feb 2012 - 3:22 PM

I usually build my own but - looking around - it would be very hard to spec a new build like this from Chillblast for the money

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104005 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2012 - 3:28 PM

have a word with swwils on here....built mine.....can recommend Smile

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8955 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2012 - 4:10 PM

Get an SSD HD for the os and appz you use, the performance increase alone from this is unreal. Photoshop loads in 2 seconds, windows about 12 seconds.
    If you have the money get another SSD as a place holder for the files your currently working on set your windows temp files to this hd, makes a world of difference. Normal hds are slow especially when temp file is being used.

GFX Card get one with 1gb of ram and make sure cs5/6 will use the gpu and yes cs6 from experience beta testing it will use it even for photo work.

System Ram 12/16gb cs5/6 when using layers will thank you for it.

Cpu a nice i7 quad core will do the very best.

Backup drives go for what you need.

Above would be similar to what I personally use and i work in cs5 with most photos being enlarged to a3 at least and its a breeze, The d800 files will demand all you can give it.

lemmy
    23 Feb 2012 - 4:33 PM

Quote: it would be very hard to spec a new build like this from Chillblast for the money

Yes, nice and a decent price. PCs seem much of a muchness, these days, they've become white goods really and whatever you buy at a given price level will have the similar components.

GarethRobinson assumes someone has limitless money but if you read what Adobe themselves say, nothing like this is remotely necessary. Whatever difference does the size of a printed file make to your computer? A3 requires a file roughly 5000x3500 which is hardly a large file these days, certainly nothing that requires the kind of machinery he talks about.

If you have the money to spare why not, I suppose? If I were spending that money, I'd buy a good Eizo monitor in preference to i7 processors and SSDs. Much more to the point for a photographer.

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    23 Feb 2012 - 4:58 PM

+1 for SSD.

lemmy
    23 Feb 2012 - 5:13 PM

I have a128gb SSD with Win7 and my programs installed to it but it's of limited use to me since I tend to start my computer before having coffee in the morning, so whether it takes 10 seconds to boot or 5 minutes makes no odds. I also fire up all the programmes I use in the background while I check my mail, so no advantage there either.

I wish I'd thought of that before I'd bought it but my son seems keen to have it so I'll give it to him Sad

studioline
    24 Feb 2012 - 8:51 AM

Thanks for all the input. I have got a few more ideas in my head. I am thinking that the SSD may be a way forward. I do have an ssd on my laptop and it does fly and is cheaper than getting a faster processor/motherboard. I think the layers issue is a problem as I do use a lot of layers at times however I am thinking that I could get photoshop to use the ssd for it's calculations.
    Finally need a back up solution. any thoughts?

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225749 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2012 - 11:04 AM

Quote: GarethRobinson assumes someone has limitless money but if you read what Adobe themselves say, nothing like this is remotely necessary.

Nothing like having a little processing power in hand, though, and it might see you through a bit longer on the 'time to replace again' front.

Go for the best that you can reasonably afford without leaving yourself cash-strapped for anything else you might need in the near future (like a new lens? Wink

lemmy
    24 Feb 2012 - 11:07 AM

Acronis True Image is very good. It works by disk imaging and is very flexible. What I like is that it will back up your system disk as well so you can always have a clean installation to revert to when things get a bit kludged up.

mikehit
    mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2012 - 11:28 AM

I have True Image and was not impressed. BUT....take that with however much salt you want because I may well have screwed up. However the only advice I can offer is that you should create partitions because if you do that you can view and recover files individually even though a complete sector may be damaged.

MeanGreeny
    24 Feb 2012 - 11:52 AM

I have Acronis True Image and am never failed to be impressed by it's ease of use and solid performance.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.