Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Building a ring flash

bfgstew 8 668 105 England
18 Jul 2011 12:22PM
I know there are some cheap ring flashes on the market, and have discussed them in the forums before, but I am wondering if one could be made? The high end ring flashes are very nice but so is the price. I am hoping this could be done cheaply..............Wink

Use a normal flash gun, buy a ring flash tube, make a housing for it and connect together.

My theory is that the flash gun could be chopped so just the main body is left, so you can still use the in built meter, manafacture a housing for the ring flash and then wire together, surely this could be done.

I intend it to fit my Nikon D200 coupled with my Sigma 150 EX lens.

Has anybody done this before?

I am very good at stuff like this but need a bit more in depth technical knowledge

What sort of tube would I need? What outputs could be achieved? What restrictions are there, if any? Power supply, onboard AA batteries or seperate power pack?

It will mainly used for macro work but maybe in the future be used for portraits

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
18 Jul 2011 12:32PM
Loads of stuff on the web, not tried it myself but plan to at some point.

Andy_Cundell 3 1.1k 5 England
18 Jul 2011 12:37PM
This could be a great project if you have time on your hands, but be wary because little projects like this can easily prove to cost more and spiral up in price. Your buying 1 flash tube when they buy hundreds for cheaper.

Your theory sounds right, 'cut' up an old flash head and wire it up to a tube built into a body and placed round your lens, but to be brutally honest, I would just buy one. All the compatability issues, technical info and testing has already been done!

If you do go ahead with it, I would love to see your finished product. Maybe make two because I too want a ring flash, along with hundreds of other 'goodies'!

Good Luck!

Andy
18 Jul 2011 1:03PM
Cheers for the You tube link Paul, that looks the easy way forward and maybe give that a go while I delve deeper into a true ring flash.

I hear you Andy, those are my concerns as well, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Theory is awlays harder to put into practise.........Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
18 Jul 2011 1:15PM
A few years ago I thought of making a unit using 9 identical very basic and cheap flash units and wire each in series to a pc connector.

Could I find any cheap basic units, no Sad
18 Jul 2011 1:29PM
I have seen something similar using the flash units out of disposable cameras, but a bit Heath Robinsonish.
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
18 Jul 2011 1:42PM
DIYPhotography.net has covered this [and many other cheap ideas] loads of times
18 Jul 2011 2:07PM
Forgot to mention one limitation - it has to be small, sorry, not as bulky as some of these home made ones, hence going down the, buy a spare ring flash tube, option. I do like taking shots of Fungi, so the smaller, more compact the better, as the need to get as low as possible does dictate the build style.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
18 Jul 2011 3:40PM

Quote:It will mainly used for macro work but maybe in the future be used for portraits

Well if it has to be small at may not be any good for portraits.
18 Jul 2011 4:23PM
Hopefully have both Paul...........Wink
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
18 Jul 2011 6:06PM
If the subject isn't moving, what about a ring of LED lights ?
18 Jul 2011 6:16PM
I have tried experimenting with them but they are not strong enough compared to a flash unit, and lack flexibility.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.