Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Building a ring flash

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bfgstew
    bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jul 2011 - 12:22 PM

I know there are some cheap ring flashes on the market, and have discussed them in the forums before, but I am wondering if one could be made? The high end ring flashes are very nice but so is the price. I am hoping this could be done cheaply..............Wink

Use a normal flash gun, buy a ring flash tube, make a housing for it and connect together.

My theory is that the flash gun could be chopped so just the main body is left, so you can still use the in built meter, manafacture a housing for the ring flash and then wire together, surely this could be done.

I intend it to fit my Nikon D200 coupled with my Sigma 150 EX lens.

Has anybody done this before?

I am very good at stuff like this but need a bit more in depth technical knowledge

What sort of tube would I need? What outputs could be achieved? What restrictions are there, if any? Power supply, onboard AA batteries or seperate power pack?

It will mainly used for macro work but maybe in the future be used for portraits

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Jul 2011 - 12:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314819 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jul 2011 - 12:32 PM

Loads of stuff on the web, not tried it myself but plan to at some point.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 18 Jul 2011 - 12:40 PM
    Andy_Cundell
    18 Jul 2011 - 12:37 PM

This could be a great project if you have time on your hands, but be wary because little projects like this can easily prove to cost more and spiral up in price. Your buying 1 flash tube when they buy hundreds for cheaper.

Your theory sounds right, 'cut' up an old flash head and wire it up to a tube built into a body and placed round your lens, but to be brutally honest, I would just buy one. All the compatability issues, technical info and testing has already been done!

If you do go ahead with it, I would love to see your finished product. Maybe make two because I too want a ring flash, along with hundreds of other 'goodies'!

Good Luck!

Andy

bfgstew
    18 Jul 2011 - 1:03 PM

Cheers for the You tube link Paul, that looks the easy way forward and maybe give that a go while I delve deeper into a true ring flash.

I hear you Andy, those are my concerns as well, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Theory is awlays harder to put into practise.........Wink

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314819 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jul 2011 - 1:15 PM

A few years ago I thought of making a unit using 9 identical very basic and cheap flash units and wire each in series to a pc connector.

Could I find any cheap basic units, no Sad

bfgstew
    18 Jul 2011 - 1:29 PM

I have seen something similar using the flash units out of disposable cameras, but a bit Heath Robinsonish.

MeanGreeny
    18 Jul 2011 - 1:42 PM

DIYPhotography.net has covered this [and many other cheap ideas] loads of times

bfgstew
    18 Jul 2011 - 2:07 PM

Forgot to mention one limitation - it has to be small, sorry, not as bulky as some of these home made ones, hence going down the, buy a spare ring flash tube, option. I do like taking shots of Fungi, so the smaller, more compact the better, as the need to get as low as possible does dictate the build style.

Paul Morgan
    18 Jul 2011 - 3:40 PM

Quote: It will mainly used for macro work but maybe in the future be used for portraits

Well if it has to be small at may not be any good for portraits.

bfgstew
    18 Jul 2011 - 4:23 PM

Hopefully have both Paul...........Wink

MeanGreeny
    18 Jul 2011 - 6:06 PM

If the subject isn't moving, what about a ring of LED lights ?

bfgstew
    18 Jul 2011 - 6:16 PM

I have tried experimenting with them but they are not strong enough compared to a flash unit, and lack flexibility.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.