Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Building Madonna's Orphanage Means 200 People Moving

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2010 - 12:34 AM

Wat do you think about all this? Something just doesn't feel quite right about Madonna apparently taking over and redesigning communities so that "her" orphanage can be built.

Building Orphanage in Malawi

In some respects there's good being done to educate girls and to give them an education and a future, but what is it about Malawi that has made Madonna concentrate her efforts there .. or does it not matter where she spends her money as long as some good is coming of it?

The cynic in me rather suspects the publicity is useful for her career - if she truly wanted to do good with her money she could be a sleeping partner or patron and ask others to implement plans rather than attract such coverage and put these villagers in the position of having to move They clearly didn't want to.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Feb 2010 - 12:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72216 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2010 - 10:12 AM

Your last paragraph says it all Suzi - 'she' is getting on now, and needs to find new ways to sustain her profile.

Last Modified By arhb at 13 Feb 2010 - 10:13 AM
    SilverAndGold
    13 Feb 2010 - 12:41 PM

If it wasn't for William Orbit who produced her wonderful "Ray of light" album some years back this woman would be unheard of now.

Good on her for actually doing something positive and productive but why does she have to shout it from the rooftop of her Mansion?

Typical celeb

answersonapostcard
    answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012601 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2010 - 2:07 PM

Her fame is probably also useful for the orphanage to. She could of course keep all her money to herself but has chosen to do something worthwhile with it, good on her.

SuziBlue
    14 Feb 2010 - 8:44 AM

I agree that she's doing something useful, K, as I said in my first post. However it's the way she's doing it which makes some people uncomfortable.

Many people have to wait years for international adoptions and don't have money to use as a sweetener. It seems a lot easier for slebs to get what they want.

There are also plenty of famous and rich people who work quietly doing amazing things where it's needed without wanting recognition for what they're doing. They just get on with it.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2010 - 8:56 AM

As long as they are doing something good, who cares whether they do it quietly or from the roof top.

SuziBlue
    14 Feb 2010 - 9:15 AM

I guess because you then wonder who she's doing it for. And yes, maybe that doesn't matter in the long run either, if people are benefiting.

And is it good to adopt another child? Rather than put money into developing the village and involving the whole community in caring for the orphans, so they get an extended family?

Last Modified By SuziBlue at 14 Feb 2010 - 9:17 AM
    mohikan22
    mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2010 - 10:46 AM

he could of course keep all her money to herself but has chosen to do something worthwhile with it, good on her.

tax break.
    all celebs seem to donate to some cause or other but its a minor dent in their MILLIONS to donate 200k here or 500k there.

Billlee
    Billlee  85531 forum posts England
    15 Feb 2010 - 10:16 AM

Agree with you on this one Suzi, admirable that she is putting money to a good cause, but as you say why all the hype?.... moving all those people who didn't want to move was bound to cause max publicity.
    Some rich people do believe that by doing 'good works' with their money they can 'buy' their place in Heaven. Sorry to say it doesn't work like that even if they believe in God.... ( I am not going to go on about God on your thread, but just thought this was a valid point. I can delete this comment if you think it is unnecessary )

kaybee
    kaybee  103801 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2010 - 10:31 AM

She doesn't adopt ............ she buys

smackmyfish
    15 Feb 2010 - 10:34 AM

I wrote to Madonna last year. She wrote back and told me that she could not adopt me because I already had a Mum and Dad. I wrote back to her and told her to give me ten minutes.

CathyT
    CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2010 - 10:39 AM

...but she's old enough to be your Granny.

smackmyfish
    15 Feb 2010 - 10:43 AM

...and loaded plus she's probably not got long to live which would be a result. I might have to turn the offer down if she walks round the house naked singing Like A Virgin.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.