Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Bulgakov - Master and Margarita - recommended translation????

Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
27 Aug 2012 11:56PM
So when I need the answer to a fairly obscure but erudite question...who best to turn to but EPZ???

I have been meaning to read this book for several years, after enjoying Heart of a Dog. But I am not sure of which translation to go for? The new William Glenny - or the Penguin classic Larissa Volokhonsky or is there another? I like 'easy to read' with a twentieth century modern flow but not 'dumbed down' or too modern.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

llareggub 4 756 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2012 2:04AM
This is probably one of the best books I have ever read the first time though I read the Volokhonsky translation the second time the Glenny... I would be hard pressed to pick the better but I did take more from the second reading. but I would guarentee I too more from the second reading from being a few years older and it being the 2nd reading!!!!

Jump in and read, one of the finest leterary pieces you will ever read, the translation should be left for the big brains to argue about Smile
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
28 Aug 2012 9:55AM
Ok, thanks! So not much to choose between them really? - I was more drawn to the Volokhonsky, can't remember when it was translated but am more drawn to the writing style of 20th century and have a suspicion more recent translations might be too 'modern' for me!
emmaK22 e2
3 89 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2012 9:58AM
A friend of mine saw this on stage in London, and loved it. Apparently it is very thought provoking.
llareggub 4 756 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2012 10:04AM

Quote:Ok, thanks! So not much to choose between them really? - I was more drawn to the Volokhonsky, can't remember when it was translated but am more drawn to the writing style of 20th century and have a suspicion more recent translations might be too 'modern' for me!

Sorry about the spelling in my response last night, I should not respond after a night on the beer Wink

For me there were differences but it is a book that you can take a lot from on a second reading so difficult to choose between the two for that reason Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.