Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bulgakov - Master and Margarita - recommended translation????

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Sus
    Sus  103183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Aug 2012 - 11:56 PM

So when I need the answer to a fairly obscure but erudite question...who best to turn to but EPZ???

I have been meaning to read this book for several years, after enjoying Heart of a Dog. But I am not sure of which translation to go for? The new William Glenny - or the Penguin classic Larissa Volokhonsky or is there another? I like 'easy to read' with a twentieth century modern flow but not 'dumbed down' or too modern.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Aug 2012 - 11:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

llareggub
    llareggub  4727 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Aug 2012 - 2:04 AM

This is probably one of the best books I have ever read the first time though I read the Volokhonsky translation the second time the Glenny... I would be hard pressed to pick the better but I did take more from the second reading. but I would guarentee I too more from the second reading from being a few years older and it being the 2nd reading!!!!

Jump in and read, one of the finest leterary pieces you will ever read, the translation should be left for the big brains to argue about Smile

Sus
    Sus  103183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 9:55 AM

Ok, thanks! So not much to choose between them really? - I was more drawn to the Volokhonsky, can't remember when it was translated but am more drawn to the writing style of 20th century and have a suspicion more recent translations might be too 'modern' for me!

emmaK22
    emmaK22 ePHOTOzine Staff 355 forum postsemmaK22 vcard United Kingdom
    28 Aug 2012 - 9:58 AM

A friend of mine saw this on stage in London, and loved it. Apparently it is very thought provoking.

llareggub
    llareggub  4727 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Aug 2012 - 10:04 AM

Quote: Ok, thanks! So not much to choose between them really? - I was more drawn to the Volokhonsky, can't remember when it was translated but am more drawn to the writing style of 20th century and have a suspicion more recent translations might be too 'modern' for me!

Sorry about the spelling in my response last night, I should not respond after a night on the beer Wink

For me there were differences but it is a book that you can take a lot from on a second reading so difficult to choose between the two for that reason Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.