Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Butterfly (or moth?) Identification, Please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Cobbyboy
Cobbyboy  2 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2012 - 7:38 PM

Hello Pete, I've been a member of this site for less than 2 hours but I stumbled on your photos which led me here. You seem to need ID's on your butterflies/moths. Can I suggest you try the web site iSpot (http://www.ispot.org.uk). It is a great site dedicated to the identification of all thing 'Nature' There's a good chance of getting an ID fairly quickly. I can recommend it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Aug 2012 - 7:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2012 - 7:51 PM

Sorry Pete, only just stumbled in on this thread....Been out all day and in the galleries for the last hour or so.

First one for me is a False Mallow, with the 2nd as Karen states being a Mint Moth....

Hey I got here in the end.....I'm not very well you know Wink

If you get stuck again, try UK Moths Short of that and if I'm around you could always PM me and wait for an answer...

Ade

petebfrance
28 Aug 2012 - 7:52 PM

Hi Cobbyboy
many thanks - I'll give it a try. I do find identifying these things something of a challenge.
regards
Pete

petebfrance
28 Aug 2012 - 8:00 PM

Hi Ade
your post crossed mine..
I do have some more moths, but will be trying them out later. One is evidently a Carpet Moth but is brown..another, well, I don't know.
Interesting on the False Mallow - I do have a few other pictures of possibly the same / a similar butterfly - but it's a question of the one-a day-limit, was it really the same individual and so on.
It'll take me a while to find the pictures (I don't have a filing system, just date and failing memory), but perhaps I can post them on this thread.

regards
Pete

Last Modified By petebfrance at 28 Aug 2012 - 8:03 PM
petebfrance
28 Aug 2012 - 8:09 PM

added - possibly the same individual as the Mallow / Fasle Mallow skipper, but somewhat more battered and taken a week or so later:
mskip.jpg

Last Modified By petebfrance at 28 Aug 2012 - 8:09 PM
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2012 - 8:13 PM

I'll put you in my connections page Pete, I'll then be sure to find them sooner or later.....All insects interest me, but moths have turned into a bit of a passion of mine.

Before anyone else say's it.....I know I'm an anorak Tongue

Ade

Cobbyboy
Cobbyboy  2 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2012 - 8:20 PM

Hi Pete
Glad to be of help. I've been a member of the site for a while (under another username!)and there are a good number of experts in the invertebrates category. I, unfortunately dropped my camera in the river last week (a Fuji finepix S3200) and am now looking to upgrade to something a little better. Because I am without a camera at the moment, I don't look at it too much now but I'd love to know how you get on. Would you let me know? (Just one thing; the emphasis is on UK species observations but there are often posts of obs. from Europe and further afield. I do know that ispot have region-specific sites e.g South Africa etc. but I don't know if there is one for France. Perhaps you could look into that

Regards

John

petebfrance
28 Aug 2012 - 8:24 PM

Quote: I'll put you in my connections page Pete, I'll then be sure to find them sooner or later.....All insects interest me, but moths have turned into a bit of a passion of mine.

Before anyone else say's it.....I know I'm an anorak..

Many thanks. Anoraks are normal, it's just the rest of the world that's a bit odd Smile

Moths, yes I think that's probably the next phase for me, but I'm struggling with them at the moment - such tricky things to photograph and tbh I'm not really sure that my equipment (and possibly my technique, but blaming equipment is easier) is up to it.

regards
Pete

Ade_Osman
28 Aug 2012 - 8:36 PM

Read some of the comments on the images in my p/f mate, you might find out a few secrets you can use for yourself GrinGrinGrinGrin

Ade

petebfrance
28 Aug 2012 - 9:02 PM

Quote: Read some of the comments on the images in my p/f mate, you might find out a few secrets you can use for yourself

will do...

regards
Pete

petebfrance
9 Aug 2014 - 12:13 PM

Another moth - got no comments in pf (not unusual) but perhaps somebody can identify it?

the photo is about double life-size (perhaps it would be better to put a life-size photo instead of this in the pf?)
oh, and taken with my daughter's Canon SX50 as my poor Fuji is really causing problems. I'm expecting an SX50 of my own soon, so it was interesting trying this one.......

petebfrance
9 Aug 2014 - 1:54 PM

Many thanks to KarenFB who has identified this as a Pretty Chalk Carpet (Melanthia procellata) - brilliant. I really must get a better book for these as it appears that it isn't a rare moth.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.