Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Buy BRITISH if you can GET it !

pentaxpete e2
9 553 1 England
5 Jun 2012 5:01PM
Wife bought some Union Flags in Tescos -- they are MADE IN CHINA !!! Why cannot the British make even their own flags ?? !!!
I bet the CHINESE don't buy any British goods -- no wonder they have Trillions of US Dollars surplus and don't know what to do with all their money !!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

5 Jun 2012 5:20PM
The British wont work for 5 pence a day, i think that answers the question. Some Tescos warehouse staff by the way are getting triple pay for working today that averages about 36 quid an hour.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 5:28PM
China buys luxury goods, pork, pigs, and antiques just for starters. Not to mention the money they spend on education in the UK.

"Chinese’s expenditure accounts for 30% of the consumer market of luxury goods in Britain. "
"Chinese have taken the place of Russians and Arabs to become the biggest buyer of British luxury goods. "
"Many stores in London have appointed Mandarin-speaking assistants to cater to the massive new market. "
http://www.chinahush.com/2011/01/02/british-media-coined-peking-pound-for-extravagant-chinese-purchases-and-high-stakes-gambling-abroad/

"Chinese people are prepared to pay a staggering amount of money for the imported products. "
"The exotic and elegant styles of British goods is what's so attractive to Chinese people,"
http://www.china.org.cn/business/2012-04/09/content_25093311.htm

"the UK pig industry estimates that trade in British pork with China may soon be worth more than £50m a year. Much of the export will be made up of fifth-quarter products, including offal, trotters, and pigs ears, which are not used in domestic markets. "
http://www.meatinfo.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/14046/UK_finally_cracks_lucrative_Chinese_pork_market.html?utm_source=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter%2BWeekly

"Chinese farmers and food companies have placed orders for 2,000 high-quality British pigs to breed with their inferior quality domestic animals. "
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9270151/Britain-sells-thousands-of-pigs-to-China-in-export-push.html
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 5:30PM
I'm fascinated to see the Chinese will pay good money importing the parts of pigs that we throw away.
Zatoichi 5 707 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 5:50PM
I remember seeing an interview with Chinese millionaires living in Hong Kong. One of the women worked for a top European fashion label but she refused to name the company because they didn't want dumb Europeans to know their expensive garments were being made in China, for pence.

Thats capitalism and slave labour isn't a new phenomena Sad

Its the Chinese that will soon be telling us what we can buy.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 5:55PM
you can buy British, but then you have to expect to pay for British, simples.

I run a company that manufactures and sells hand crafted Kitchens and at reasonable cost.

The problem i have is employing skilled craftsman that do not have an attitude or even young people that say one thig and do the complete opposite.

Work ethic in this country has gone and it will be extremely hard to see it come back.

If you don't work then don't expect anything nice to happen in your life, example holidays and such like.

I see this everyday of my business life and some times i wish i was working for someone else, i would definitely show the rest of the workers up that's for sure.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 5:55PM
sorry rant over.......
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 6:15PM
we vote the leaders in and we get wat we deserve
thewilliam 6 4.9k
5 Jun 2012 6:18PM
A couple of years ago, when our MP came to an FSB meeting, there was a discussion of why the Chinese can make things so much cheaper and what the government could do to help.

The consensus was that the problem wasn't the UK wage levels but the overheads that our businesses have to pay. One member said that even if his staff worked for free, he still couldn't compete with the Chinese. It's the premises costs, taxation, sky-high transport costs and crumbling infrstructure, not to mention the costs that our government loads on top of the wages, that make the UK so uncompetitive.

The UK does lead the world in motor racing. We're in the premier league when it comes to advertising and music.
User_Removed 4 299 4 France
5 Jun 2012 6:26PM
To see just how good we are at music you can watch Britains got talent, or X factor, or Eurovision, or the jubilee concert and to highlight the other thing we are good at....joking...and I am.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 6:28PM
I'm still waiting for the Three Rivers dam to failSad
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 7:30PM

Quote:We're in the premier league when it comes to advertising and music.

no good advertising if you have no industry to advertise.

And no good having a business if you can't run it through lack of good quality staff that want to work.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
5 Jun 2012 7:48PM
It frustrates me when we put this country down. Yes the heavy industry has long gone, but we still have thriving industries in high technology fields ( I read last week the Cambridge area has more computer related companies than anywhere in the world outside Silicone valley). We have thriving biotech, oil exploration, tourism, creative arts, finance industries to name but a few.

There are far more problems elsewhere in Europe with contracting markets, everyone knows the Greek plight but Spain, Portugal, Italy and Ireland have far more problems than we do. In any recession it's the luxuries that go first, that new TV, Sofa and dare I say Camera.

Importing from China isn't as rosy as some paint, questionable quality, high import / export taxes, not to mention 6 weeks on the water, some products from China are now more expensive than sourced from Western Europe (when all costs are included).
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 8:04PM

Quote:We vote the leaders in and we get wat we deserve

What the hell has that got to do with it?

If you think you can set up a company in this country making flags cheaper than they can in China, go ahead. Gareth had it right first time, and it's the same reason we import so much stuff - we simply can't make it here because we have to pay people a minimum wage, and even that is not enough to convince a lot of lazy sods to get off their arses and work. You can't compete with an economy that pays their workers pennies.
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 8:07PM

Quote:The consensus was that the problem wasn't the UK wage levels but the overheads that our businesses have to pay. One member said that even if his staff worked for free, he still couldn't compete with the Chinese. It's the premises costs, taxation, sky-high transport costs and crumbling infrstructure, not to mention the costs that our government loads on top of the wages, that make the UK so uncompetitive.

We have things like "health and safety" and tax, that's right. H&S protects workers, tax pays for those who can't be bothered to work.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.