Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

buying

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    connaughtgreen
    23 Jan 2013 - 9:11 PM

im thinking of buying a Canon EF 28-80mm USM f3.5 lens as far as i can see this is a better version having the USM on it but cant really see how much i would expect to pay any ideas anyone

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Jan 2013 - 9:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MichaelMelb_AU
    23 Jan 2013 - 10:15 PM

If you are talking of an old film lens that can be used with modern DSLR - I would advise against such a decision. That lens will be worn, maybe not too clean and simply has not been designed to put up with DSLR resolution demands. Better buy a 18-55mm IS kit lens which gets consistently good reviews and is available from grey market for just about 110-120$. I have both of them - and don't see any advantage of 28-80 over the kit lens, rather opposite.

keithh
    keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jan 2013 - 10:22 PM

You should pay around £40 maybe even less. It was never a show stopper and is 5.6 at the 80mm end. As a cheap walk around snapshot lens it would be worth a punt for not much cash.

duratorque
    duratorque  10411 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Jan 2013 - 8:31 AM

Not much. That range just do not make sens on a crop sensor DLSR. The 18-55mm kit lens is the equivalent to the 28-80mm on 35mm film cameras and make a lot more sense for not much money.

User_Removed
    24 Jan 2013 - 10:14 AM

Surprised that nobody has asked what kind of photography you plan to do with it and what lenses do you already own?

It's going to be of little use indoors. For landscapes, sport or wildlife it's far from ideal.

It's a good range for portraits but the money might be better spent on a 50mm 1.8

If you have a use for it it's worth maybe £30 - 40

connaughtgreen
    24 Jan 2013 - 6:47 PM

thankyou for all your replies and more so as you have all saved me wasting my money..Grin ..Terry

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.