Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

buying

23 Jan 2013 9:11PM
im thinking of buying a Canon EF 28-80mm USM f3.5 lens as far as i can see this is a better version having the USM on it but cant really see how much i would expect to pay any ideas anyone

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

23 Jan 2013 10:15PM
If you are talking of an old film lens that can be used with modern DSLR - I would advise against such a decision. That lens will be worn, maybe not too clean and simply has not been designed to put up with DSLR resolution demands. Better buy a 18-55mm IS kit lens which gets consistently good reviews and is available from grey market for just about 110-120$. I have both of them - and don't see any advantage of 28-80 over the kit lens, rather opposite.
keithh Plus
11 23.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Jan 2013 10:22PM
You should pay around 40 maybe even less. It was never a show stopper and is 5.6 at the 80mm end. As a cheap walk around snapshot lens it would be worth a punt for not much cash.
duratorque 11 421 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 8:31AM
Not much. That range just do not make sens on a crop sensor DLSR. The 18-55mm kit lens is the equivalent to the 28-80mm on 35mm film cameras and make a lot more sense for not much money.
User_Removed 11 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 10:14AM
Surprised that nobody has asked what kind of photography you plan to do with it and what lenses do you already own?

It's going to be of little use indoors. For landscapes, sport or wildlife it's far from ideal.

It's a good range for portraits but the money might be better spent on a 50mm 1.8

If you have a use for it it's worth maybe 30 - 40
24 Jan 2013 6:47PM
thankyou for all your replies and more so as you have all saved me wasting my money..Grin ..Terry

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.