Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buying a caravan.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
ChrisStyles
7 Apr 2013 - 8:47 PM

Evening all,
For the last 30 odd years I've been a hardened camper even at temps of -5 I've loved every minute of it..... snow,sleet or rain it wouldn't make much difference I'd still go Smile But the old bones these days are screaming in protest so I think it's time to be an old fart and buy a caravanWink As there is only Marley my Labrador puppy and me I'll be looking at something like this.....This
So is there an idiots guide to this or can anyone link me into a good site for advice?
many thanks,
Chris.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Apr 2013 - 8:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sierrastar
7 Apr 2013 - 9:01 PM

i have bought 2 caravans in my life and im sure there will be others more experienced than i .. but as a rule of thumb u need to check for damp in a caravan,, usually it will smell or it will be masked with strong air fresheners. you can buy a damp meter off ebay for couple of pounds and this is most helpful.. another consideration is the floor of a caravan when u walk in a carvan and the floor feels spongy it means the plywood layers of wood are seperating cos the glue has broken down... check underneath the window seals... generally buying this time of the year it is a little more expensive.... try and buy off a private seller as they sell EVERYTHING water carriers electrical waste water stabilisers awnings etc as buying them all seperately can cost a fortune although u wont get a warranty so u have to weigh one off against the other.. hope this has been some help melanie

ChrisStyles
7 Apr 2013 - 9:11 PM

Thanks Melanie......how do you find towing one?

sierrastar
7 Apr 2013 - 9:19 PM

it just takes a little time to get used to the steering and the width of the carvan first time i towed one i nearly took everyones wing mirrors off in the street... but its practice... reversing is a skill thats best left to a large field and plenty of patience... tell the dealer what kind of car u have and he can advise you to the maximum unladen van u can go for... mel

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 9:22 PM

Just book into a 5* hotel with heating a flushing toilet and running water and stop this nonsense .......

ChrisStyles
7 Apr 2013 - 9:24 PM

Rather have a tentSmile

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 9:29 PM

Tut.....

Snapper
Snapper  93657 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 9:53 PM

As Melanie says, the crucial part is the weight you'll be able to tow with whatever car you have. The recommended maximum for the caravan is 80 or 85% of the towcar's weight, but even then you'll have to make sure that the car is powerful enough to keep up a decent speed with the caravan in tow. Some basic advice here.

ChrisStyles
7 Apr 2013 - 9:57 PM

You've never. LivedSmile

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108357 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 10:02 PM

Before buying s caravan it may be advisable to check your licence covers you to tow one.
As usual things change over time.
There is some useful info here.

CathyT
7 Apr 2013 - 10:05 PM

Somebody kill me......!

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108357 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 10:07 PM

Quote: Somebody kill me......!

Wow!
I almost got killed in the rush.
Smile

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 10:20 PM

Quote: Just book into a 5* hotel with heating a flushing toilet and running water and stop this nonsense .......

Buy a PC! Wink

Quote: Somebody kill me......!

Hit her ove the head with a Mac.
Oh sorry, of course they're too heavy to lift. Wink Wink

( Well, Chris seems to have disappeared from the scene recently).

Last Modified By adrian_w at 7 Apr 2013 - 10:21 PM
CathyT
7 Apr 2013 - 10:22 PM

He's probably still trying to sort his tent......

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 10:31 PM

Actually I meant Mr User Removed.... AKA Chris L. Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.