Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buying a caravan.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 10:49 PM

He's in the EPZ dungeons.........

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Apr 2013 - 10:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 10:50 PM

With only Apple products for company......Wink

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 12:27 AM

You won't regret it. There is nothing like getting back from a long walk in the cold and rain to a nice warm caravan. You can get some very good practical towing lessons from the Caravan Club and some driving instructors and this is well worth doing. It may also be a legal requirement depending on how long you have held your driving license. Be very careful with buying a very cheap van as has been said before, damp can be a problem and cost more than the van is worth to put right.
For optimum matching of car to caravan here is a site we have used. It is very helpful. What TowCar

We love our caravan and for all those that turn their noses up then all I'll say is they have never tried it. We have travelled extensively across the UK. Stayed in some beautiful, remote spots away from traffic, light pollution and noise. Explored areas we otherwise would never have seen and photographed all of them! We cannot afford expensive hotels and if, at a moments notice, we decide to get away for a couple of nights we hitch up and go.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 1:13 AM

Quote: Actually I meant Mr User Removed.... AKA Chris L

He's made several attempts to re-register under new names. Our eagle-eyed moderators have managed to thwart him. Lol! Wink

What this thread about? Oh yes, caravans. How about a motor-home instead? Smile

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 7:31 AM

Quote: How about a motor-home instead? Smile

Or you could do both (sort of). If you are any good at DIY then using the internal fittings of an old caravan is a great way of converting a panel van into a motor-home. We've got a LWB panel van that has been converted on the inside but left looking like a van on the outside (apart from two side windows just behind the front seats). My wife and I like the "stealth van" idea as we prefer the anonymity it gives us.

Also, with a motor home there are no towing problems and they can be less expensive on ferries than a car/caravan combo and you can "wild camp" more easily than with a caravan.

MikeA
MikeA  91147 forum posts England
8 Apr 2013 - 8:31 AM

Traitor Smile

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 8:48 AM

Don't let these heathens put you off. After many years of tenting Robbie and I got so fed up of having to pack the tent away wet we decided to get a cheap caravan and 20 years later we still love caravanning. You can't find hotels (well at least none that I can afford) which give you the same flexibility and views. Most sites these days even have wifi, so you can tell the ePz doubters what a good time you are having.

You have already had most of the good advice. Remember when you buy a caravan there are a number of essential accessories, like water and waste containers, gas bottles, step, etc. If you are buying 2nd hand make sure you find out if these are included and if buying brand new try to get them thrown in to the deal.

If your caravan has wheel trims get some cable ties on asap otherwise you will lose them.

The first time you try reversing, find a nice large space to practice in. It's easier than a lot of people make out, it just needs a little patience to get your head to believe the steering wheel has to go in the opposite direction to the caravan. Smile

Watch out for springy floors, which indicate the boards are going and would be expensive to repair.

Have fun looking around.

Ian

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 9:28 AM

Well I did manage to join in with the MNC from our caravan in deepest Exmoor last week and if you would like to take a peek tonight you may see how I got on (and join in as well!). Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 10:37 AM

Quote: sites these days even have wifi

Good grief - they'll be providing toilets next! Tongue Grin

ChrisStyles
8 Apr 2013 - 2:32 PM

I've just checked and I'm able to tow upto 750kg and a retest will set me back 115Sad Thanks for all the advice but for the time being I'll stick with the van & tentTongue

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108365 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 3:02 PM

Isn't a good job you didn't buy a caravan first?

ChrisStyles
8 Apr 2013 - 3:08 PM

Always do my homework first Sir Smile Looks like it will have to be a camper-van...maybe Smile

Carabosse
8 Apr 2013 - 3:30 PM

Quote: Looks like it will have to be a camper-van

Smile

camper-van.jpg

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63272 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 3:31 PM

Quote: Looks like it will have to be a camper-van...maybe

Much better idea. Easier to handle, more comfortable & you don't clog up the roads in the same way.

collywobles
8 Apr 2013 - 3:36 PM

AN idea, but would you really want a Campervan as an everyday runabout....................? 30-40K is a lot of money just to leave it sitting on the drive for 9 months a year.

Last Modified By collywobles at 8 Apr 2013 - 3:38 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.