Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buying a caravan.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 6:20 PM

Yep get a caravan, they float better than tents.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Apr 2013 - 6:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisStyles
ChrisStyles e2 Member 6381 forum postsChrisStyles vcard United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 - 7:31 PM

Going on my last two outing Paul I'd be better off buying a boat Smile

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73373 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 9:36 PM

I'll join you Cathy....

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023196 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 9:41 PM

Dont listen to anyone that tells you that reversing a caravan is difficult..

....reversing a hotel is pretty much impossible.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014931 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 9:49 PM

To reverse a caravan just place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel (of the towing vehicle) and turn it the way you want the caravan to go.Wink

jimbro
jimbro  137 forum posts Scotland
8 Apr 2013 - 11:15 PM

I tow a 24ft Lunar Lexon with my Mitsi Pajero and we love getting away
None of that "peeing in a bucket" stuff though. We have a glassed in shower, king size beds, Sky TV, internet access,etc.
We can go where we want, when we want and love it.

Sure, the "I only holiday abroad" types will criticise it but so what. Each to their own
I holidayed abroad most of my life, lived abroad and spent a lot of my working life bouncing around Europe and, quite frankly, it bores the bits off me.

What to watch for?

Make sure your licence is valid. Tests passed prior to 1997 generally are OK to tow and have the B&E category
Stick to the 85% rule, it can save a lot of grief
When looking at vans, watch out. There are some cowboys

If you turn up to look at one and it's wide open(doors, windows). Be suspicious, it could have damp and they're masking the telltale smell
Make sure it's CRIS registered(could save you buying a stolen one)
You can save money buying privately but there are risks.
Buying from a reputable dealer is more expensive but you're guaranteed it's legal and you may get a warranty
If you go to view one, try to take someone who knows their way about caravans with you

Finally, once you buy one, get out and bluddy well enjoy it

jimbro
jimbro  137 forum posts Scotland
9 Apr 2013 - 3:42 AM

Here's ours

[IMG]http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv351/jimbro325/PajandLunarLexon2.jpg[/IMG]

Fogey
Fogey  169 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 8:55 AM

Quote: Evening all,
For the last 30 odd years I've been a hardened camper even at temps of -5 I've loved every minute of it..... snow,sleet or rain it wouldn't make much difference I'd still go Smile But the old bones these days are screaming in protest so I think it's time to be an old fart and buy a caravanWink As there is only Marley my Labrador puppy and me I'll be looking at something like this.....This
So is there an idiots guide to this or can anyone link me into a good site for advice?
many thanks,
Chris.

As an avid camper and caravanner, I was where you are now some twelve years ago. Lots of pitfalls, so I created a site to help people just like you who are starting out in caravanning. The site covers camping as well.

My site can be found HERE

Hope this helps.

ChrisStyles
9 Apr 2013 - 11:53 AM

Jim that setup looks ace...A bit big for me starting out but you never know Smile

Jeff thanks for the link and I'll give it read at the weekend....Thanks all Smile

ChrisStyles
9 Apr 2013 - 7:34 PM

So the kerb weight of my Caddy Van is 1,455-1,573 so going on the lower number would give me towing weight of 1236.75 at 85%? or do I have to take into account the tow bar that I'll be fitting?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023196 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 8:38 PM

Nope. That puts you into the single axle 4 berth market.

Bridgelayer
11 Apr 2013 - 7:32 PM

If there's only you and the dog, have a look at these.

ChrisStyles
11 Apr 2013 - 8:04 PM

I'd end up outside in the tent Smile

altitude50
altitude50  102011 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 - 12:02 AM

Big car small caravan = pleasure. Small car big caravan - misery. Seriously though as well as checking for damp, make sure that the gas installation (if it has one) has been recently checked over and look at the chassis for rust.
AND re the Elddis in the photo, I would avoid any caravan that has the centre seam roof, they are prone to leaking and can be very difficult to seal.

Last Modified By altitude50 at 12 Apr 2013 - 12:03 AM
MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93506 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
22 Apr 2013 - 2:11 PM

Quote: I think it's time to be an old fart and buy a caravan

...If you're an "old fart" I assume you must've retired, you don't need a car.

.....buy a MH...a van conversion...smaller, easier to drive and much better than a coachbuilt....and a bike, perhaps even an electric bike.
.....carry the bike on the back of the 'van ( can't do that with a caravan) when you go off, use it for shopping etc. at home.
....you'll soon be healthier and fitter....who needs a car ? Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.