Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

buying a good general use lens

daveathome 2 23
16 Dec 2012 6:19PM
Does anyone know if the Tamron - Aspherical [IF] MACRO AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Lens- will work on my Canon 650d?? I am looking for a good overall lens (hobbyist only!!) and dont have the money for the 18-270 tamron. I like the idea of a lens that goes from wide angle to zoom and means i can carry just the one lens at all times as this really suits me. Anyone with any better choices for me??? I take just general shots both indoor and outdoor. Thanks in advance!
Dave

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bainsybike 5 284
16 Dec 2012 6:31PM
Yes, as long as you get one to fit a Canon camera (they're made in versions to fit Nikon, Sony etc as well).
daveathome 2 23
16 Dec 2012 6:40PM
Thanks for that! Have you any opinion on the lens itself as a "one size fits all" type of lens to buy???
Thanks
bainsybike 5 284
16 Dec 2012 7:58PM
I've no experience of that particular lens, but I did have the earlier version of the 18 - 270 for a while, before I decided it wasn't good enough at the long end and sold it. From what I read, you'll generally get better performance from 2 lenses than from a superzoom covering the same range. For example, you could get the Canon 55 - 250 for about the same price as the Tamron, and that with the kit 18-55 will give you better IQ over a wider range, and Image Stabilization too, which is particularly useful at the long end. But then you won't have it all in one lens.
daveathome 2 23
17 Dec 2012 6:37AM
Thanks again for the response! I have indeed looked at the 55-250 and I imagine it would be a better lens alright, its probably just my wish for convenience that has me looking at the all in one type like the Tamron 18-270. Laziness perhaps on my part but I do know from years ago when I had an slr that I was less inclined to take the camera out with me if I had to carry along a load of gear etc but I suppose thats what makes the difference between the hobbyist and the more dedicated photographer.
Dave
alistairfarrugia 2 164 88 Malta
17 Dec 2012 9:20AM
Dave, I have the 600D with the 18-55 kit lens together with the 55-250. I carry my gear in the Canon 100EG bag (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-Gadget-Bag-100EG/dp/B00004WCGF) and it's a very compact setup. You do have to change lenses in the field, which might attract dust, but that's nothing that can't be addressed when back home through some cleaning. I find the image quality to be a more important factor than the need to keep using the same lens, but that's just me.

What I want to put across though is the fact that carrying around this bag is hardly a chore. It's very light and compact, and easily fits the 600 (or 650D) plus Battery grip together with an extra lens. I load my bag with the camera plus grip, with the 18-55 attached fully retracted, the 55-250 at its side in the bag's main compartment, and then I have a set of four slide-in filters plus adapter and holder, two remote controls and a polariser. I can also fit a small cleaning kit too if I wanted to. Total weight would probably not exceed 2.5 kilos and you still have a versatile kit at your disposal. It's just a question of changing lens when you need to go to the tele end.
mikehit Plus
5 7.4k 11 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2012 10:10AM
My standard takeout gear is the 7D (used to be 30D) with the 70-200 attached plus my S90 for wideangle: no changing lenses and the S90 gives damned good results. It also means that in streets etc the more obvious zoom can stay in my bag I still get good shots. For all but the most portable situations the S90 has been supplanted by the MFT camera and if you can stretch to the Olympus PEN EPL-1 with a 14-42 lens (290 on Amazon) even that will be not much bigger than a new lens and again you don't neeed to change lenses. By the way, 18mm on APS-C is about the same FOV as 14mm on MFT.
daveathome 2 23
17 Dec 2012 5:40PM
Thanks to everyone for the responses! I feel really lazy now in not wanting to change lens! So, if I want the one lens I should go for the Tamron 18-200 ( I would go for the Tamron 18-270 only its too expensive for me)but if willing to change lens I should go for the better quality Canon 55-250, that seems to be the agreed opinion..... agreed?? A lot of you guys/girls are probably very experienced and committed photographers whereas I probably do tend to think in terms of convenience as I know that with lots of gear I tend to not take the camera out with me but use my G12 instead!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.