Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

buying a good general use lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    daveathome
    16 Dec 2012 - 6:19 PM

Does anyone know if the Tamron - Aspherical [IF] MACRO AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Lens- will work on my Canon 650d?? I am looking for a good overall lens (hobbyist only!!) and dont have the money for the 18-270 tamron. I like the idea of a lens that goes from wide angle to zoom and means i can carry just the one lens at all times as this really suits me. Anyone with any better choices for me??? I take just general shots both indoor and outdoor. Thanks in advance!
    Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Dec 2012 - 6:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bainsybike
    16 Dec 2012 - 6:31 PM

Yes, as long as you get one to fit a Canon camera (they're made in versions to fit Nikon, Sony etc as well).

Last Modified By bainsybike at 16 Dec 2012 - 6:33 PM
    daveathome
    16 Dec 2012 - 6:40 PM

Thanks for that! Have you any opinion on the lens itself as a "one size fits all" type of lens to buy???
    Thanks

bainsybike
    16 Dec 2012 - 7:58 PM

I've no experience of that particular lens, but I did have the earlier version of the 18 - 270 for a while, before I decided it wasn't good enough at the long end and sold it. From what I read, you'll generally get better performance from 2 lenses than from a superzoom covering the same range. For example, you could get the Canon 55 - 250 for about the same price as the Tamron, and that with the kit 18-55 will give you better IQ over a wider range, and Image Stabilization too, which is particularly useful at the long end. But then you won't have it all in one lens.

Last Modified By bainsybike at 16 Dec 2012 - 8:01 PM
    daveathome
    17 Dec 2012 - 6:37 AM

Thanks again for the response! I have indeed looked at the 55-250 and I imagine it would be a better lens alright, its probably just my wish for convenience that has me looking at the all in one type like the Tamron 18-270. Laziness perhaps on my part but I do know from years ago when I had an slr that I was less inclined to take the camera out with me if I had to carry along a load of gear etc but I suppose thats what makes the difference between the hobbyist and the more dedicated photographer.
    Dave

alistairfarrugia
    alistairfarrugia Critique Team 2164 forum posts Malta88 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2012 - 9:20 AM

Dave, I have the 600D with the 18-55 kit lens together with the 55-250. I carry my gear in the Canon 100EG bag (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-Gadget-Bag-100EG/dp/B00004WCGF) and it's a very compact setup. You do have to change lenses in the field, which might attract dust, but that's nothing that can't be addressed when back home through some cleaning. I find the image quality to be a more important factor than the need to keep using the same lens, but that's just me.

What I want to put across though is the fact that carrying around this bag is hardly a chore. It's very light and compact, and easily fits the 600 (or 650D) plus Battery grip together with an extra lens. I load my bag with the camera plus grip, with the 18-55 attached fully retracted, the 55-250 at its side in the bag's main compartment, and then I have a set of four slide-in filters plus adapter and holder, two remote controls and a polariser. I can also fit a small cleaning kit too if I wanted to. Total weight would probably not exceed 2.5 kilos and you still have a versatile kit at your disposal. It's just a question of changing lens when you need to go to the tele end.

Last Modified By alistairfarrugia at 17 Dec 2012 - 9:21 AM
    mikehit
    mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2012 - 10:10 AM

My standard takeout gear is the 7D (used to be 30D) with the 70-200 attached plus my S90 for wideangle: no changing lenses and the S90 gives damned good results. It also means that in streets etc the more obvious zoom can stay in my bag I still get good shots. For all but the most portable situations the S90 has been supplanted by the MFT camera and if you can stretch to the Olympus PEN EPL-1 with a 14-42 lens (290 on Amazon) even that will be not much bigger than a new lens and again you don't neeed to change lenses. By the way, 18mm on APS-C is about the same FOV as 14mm on MFT.

daveathome
    17 Dec 2012 - 5:40 PM

Thanks to everyone for the responses! I feel really lazy now in not wanting to change lens! So, if I want the one lens I should go for the Tamron 18-200 ( I would go for the Tamron 18-270 only its too expensive for me)but if willing to change lens I should go for the better quality Canon 55-250, that seems to be the agreed opinion..... agreed?? A lot of you guys/girls are probably very experienced and committed photographers whereas I probably do tend to think in terms of convenience as I know that with lots of gear I tend to not take the camera out with me but use my G12 instead!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.