Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buying a new Nikon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
PinkK
PinkK  480 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 1:34 PM

I currently have a D40 and was considering an upgrade. Is a D90 the next logical step? Or just new lenses? Or maybe both? I am really enjoying portraiture at the moment, so advice on the best lens for that would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Apr 2012 - 1:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 1:43 PM

The D90 is only the next logical step if you think that will give you what you want. If you are pushing the limits of your D40 and don't want to end up pushing the limits of your next body within a year and providing you have the budget you may be better advised moving a bit further up the chain.

You should be able to find a second hand D300 at a reasonable price, possibly with some lenses thrown in. Even a D7000 could be available used by now. Both of those are excellent cameras and will last you for years.

As to lenses for portraits, around the 50-100mm mark seems to be the most popular. Too short and you end up giving your models big noses, too long and you have to be in the next county to get them in frame. I think a short zoom may be your best bet, the Nikon 18-105 gives really good results and comes as a kit lens with bodies like the D7000.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
PinkK
27 Apr 2012 - 1:45 PM

Thanks so much Ian, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I shall definitely look into the D300 and D7000...and the lenses you mentioned too.

Kaleena

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Apr 2012 - 2:04 PM

The D90 is old technology I would suggest you go for the D7OOO as for lenses the 18-105 kit lens will do what you want price new as a package around the 1.1k.

If your happy with the D40, and many people are, then spend your money on glass.

With a 1000 budget you could get some really good glass at the various auction sites but only if
1. you know what to look for and the item is close enough for you to view before purchase
2 or you know and trust the current owner.
a three month old 18-105 sold last night for 95

If you want to blow the bank then the skys the limit full frame + fast glass= mortgage

scottishphototours

Get the D700 body new and add a 50mm or 85mm secondhand from the likes of Ffordes or MBF or Mifsuds.

These two lenses are ideal for portraiture.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 2:49 PM

Quote: Get the D700 body new and add a 50mm or 85mm secondhand from the likes of Ffordes or MBF or Mifsuds.

Did Kaleena say she had won the lottery and I missed it? Even if she wants to go for full frame the D700 is the thick end of 2k, a hell of a lot for somebody to spend to move up from a D40.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 3:02 PM

How about the new D3200?

digicammad
27 Apr 2012 - 3:03 PM

Kaleena what is your budget?

PinkK
27 Apr 2012 - 3:14 PM

Quote: Kaleena what is your budget?

Sorry, i should've mentioned that. I was thinking 500 to 700. Alas i haven't won the lottery....yet Wink

Thank you all for your advice, you have all been so helpful. Definitely given me food for thought Smile

puertouk
puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 3:23 PM

Hi Kaleena, have you looked on this site for a camera and lens? There's plenty of choice and I'm sure you can barter with the owner to get the price down to an amount that is agreeable with both parties.
Stephen

digicammad
27 Apr 2012 - 3:34 PM

By the way, what lenses do you have at the moment Kaleena?

PinkK
27 Apr 2012 - 3:58 PM

Quote: By the way, what lenses do you have at the moment Kaleena?

I have the kit lens 18-55mm and a sigma 70-300mm, but I rarely use the sigma

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4391 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 3:59 PM

Hi Kaleena

The new Nikon D3200 is right in your budget range.....559 for the body (& use your existing lens), or 649 with 18-55 stabilized lens (55mm is equal to 85mm in full-frame terms,
& ideal for portraiture !!).......personally I'd wouldn't hesitate in buying one (if I wasn't up to my neck in Canon gear).

Have a look at the info, specifications, & previews on "dpreviews" & "photorumors", some of the sample shots are exquisite !!!!

Hope that helps in some small way ....Keith.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
digicammad
27 Apr 2012 - 4:01 PM

I agree that the D3200 would be a good one to go for. One small caveat is that the 18-105VR would possibly be a better option than the 18-55VR (though I don't have experience of the 18-55VR) if you have the budget for it.

scottishphototours

Quote: Get the D700 body new and add a 50mm or 85mm secondhand from the likes of Ffordes or MBF or Mifsuds.

Did Kaleena say she had won the lottery and I missed it? Even if she wants to go for full frame the D700 is the thick end of 2k, a hell of a lot for somebody to spend to move up from a D40.

OK smart-arse, so I missed out a "0" in my reply..... I was agreeing with Ikky's comment above mine and meant the D7000.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.