Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buying a new Nikon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

RavenTepes
27 Apr 2012 - 6:45 PM

Another option would be the 5100. Its a near d7000, though the build quality isn't quite as good. The reality though is that I encourage you to do a bit of research on them. Since you're upgrading from the d40, all of them will offer significant improvement, but at the end of the day, you know what you need a camera to do. Also, possibly keep the next couple years in mind. If you're gentle with your equipment, you may only need a d5100. If you're perhaps a bit more rough, the 7000 would be the way to go. While both bodies will offer similar quality of photos, there are very key elements to both. The 7000 boasts more "pro" features, whilst the 5100 is going to be more amateurish.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Apr 2012 - 6:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 7:10 PM

Lots of good suggestions already. My thoughts:

You are doing some good work with your D40. Where are you finding it limiting for your use? Its worth having a Nikkor 50mm, either 1.8 or 1.4. Better glass will give you better results. Beware of the "I want" versus "I need", as so many of us fall for the "I want".

Hope it helps the thought / decision process

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4489 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 7:48 PM

Just to add to the confusion........have a look at the Nikon D5100 !!!......16mp, not too heavy, got a high resolution rear screen....which is fully articulated so that
you could swivel it round to face you for a self-portrait !......& with 'Live-view' activated, you would be able to see yourself on the screen, & set up each shot by
watching yourself 'live'.....which may or may not appeal, but something to consider ??

A quick look on Amazon shows the D5100 at 460 body only, & an 18-105 Nikkor zoom at 220....so 680 comes within your budget !!

Again "dpreviews" have got an amazing review in their lists, if you want to research the camera !!

Either way, the step up from 6m pixels, to 16m or 24m will be very noticeable !!!

Don't dismiss the D90 though, at 12m pixels it's still a good camera, & still within your budget, but in a couple of years time even 12m will seem dated !

But do some research (dpr ?) & make your choice.....good luck !!...Keith.

McBrian
McBrian  9101 forum posts Scotland
27 Apr 2012 - 8:31 PM

For "portraiture" in a studio environment and a limited budget I would go for a low mileage D200 (250) coupled with a Nikon 24-85 f2,8/f4 (200) and/or a Sigma 50-150 (280) or Tokina 50-135 f2.8 (370), a good D300 still goes for around 600 which would consume your entire budget. The D200 is still a very capable camera (old tech or not) for general purpose use as long as you're not looking for the latest and greatest low light performance.

I use both the D200 and D300 in the studio, the D200's CCD sensor renders skin tone a bit better than the CMOS sensor of the D300, that's not to say the D300 is bad with skin tones though, it just take a little bit more care in PP.

Brian

PinkK
PinkK  580 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 8:36 PM

Thank you all so much, I have some homework to do Grin

Brian...would love a studio, but that's a long way off as yet Smile

McBrian
McBrian  9101 forum posts Scotland
30 Apr 2012 - 1:02 PM

Hi Kaleena

Maybe I should have said "in a studio type" enviroment i.e. when you have complete control of the lighting just like the images in your superb gallery Smile

If you ever make the trek north, give me a shout and I'll let you have a day in the studio I use Wink

Please also remeber to come back here and let us know what you replaced your D40 with, wiull be interesting to see who swayed you.

Brian

PinkK
30 Apr 2012 - 1:10 PM

Hi Brian

I have had so many great suggestions, I would buy them all if I could. There's so many to choose from. I liked Keith's suggestion of the swivel lcd, as that would be really handy for me, but the jury is still out. I will definitely come back and let you all know my decision Smile

As for the studio use offer, wow, that is really generous of you. You never know I may just take you up on that one day Grin

Kaleena

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
1 May 2012 - 9:09 AM

now I know Kaleenas budget it would be D3200 with the 18-105VR possibly add in a 50mm 1.8 if funds stretch

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 9:13 AM

Don't forget, if you go for a Nikon, you have the option of an old Nikkor 50mm lens which can be picked up at a reasonable price.

thewilliam
1 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

If the uograde is going to be your only camera body, you need to think carefully about the intended use.

The D200 is a excellent camera - I bought one for walkabout use - and it takes practically any Nikon lens including the old MF lenses. The downside is that the high ISO performance of all "2 series" Nikons is lamentable when compared with even the cheapest new model. But it's also excellent in the studio for portrait use.

Many creative controls are hidden in the menu system of the entry-cameras, such as the D3200, so that punters are less likely to mess about with them and be content with auto-everything. For most uses, they give superb results straight out of the box.

Controls allow the expert to do better but the novice can make the picture an awful lot worse!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 1 May 2012 - 11:36 AM
dangertaylor
30 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

ive got a d90 and i love it, however, if i were you, i would splurge and go for the d7000

PinkK
7 Aug 2012 - 9:52 AM

Thought I would update this thread and let you know that after research, some very helpful advice and careful consideration I have bought a Nikon D5100 and a 18-105VR. I can't wait for it to arrive and get snapping Grin Thanks again for all of your valued advice and opinions SmileSmile

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4489 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
7 Aug 2012 - 4:39 PM

Way to go Kaleena !!!!!!

You'll be like a kid with a new toy !!!.GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

In all honesty I would say if anyone can afford it, then go for it !!!....we're only on the face of this Earth once....!!!!!!

I've missed out on a lot of opportunities over the years, through hesitating, or lack of finances....with much regret, but
that's water-under-the-bridge now !!!.....these days I just don't care, if I want something I buy it !!!.Grin

MikeJG
MikeJG  3 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2012 - 11:51 AM

Looking at your portfolio, I can't wait to see the results myself!

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62425 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
9 Aug 2012 - 4:48 PM

If you are not in a hurry Photokina is next month - new Nikon bodies may be announced.
The "entry level" 24 MP D3200 is on sale so it is likely there will be a full 24 MP DX line up soon.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.