Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Buying camera from Hongkong

tottenham 5 36
23 Nov 2012 10:31AM
Hi there,
I want to buy a 5D MKll.I notice quite a difference in price of the camera bought in the UK as to those bought in Hongkong.Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between these cameras and if there are any pitfalls buying from Hongkong,
Thankyou Barry

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
23 Nov 2012 10:55AM
There should be no difference, but ensure you have a global guarantee .. you will have to pay 20% VAT when you declare the product at customs (which is where the price differance is I guess).
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 11:26AM
....unless you use one stop digital...highly reccomended on EPZ..One stop guarantee to pay all UK taxes..read the T&Cs.
....doubt they give a global guarantee though.
User_Removed 4 48 1 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 11:42AM
You will have to pay vat plus import duty, which will make the price much higher.
Alf.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
23 Nov 2012 12:13PM
If you do manage to avoid import duty and VAT when the camera is delivered, you run a risk every time you bring the camera back into the country as one friend learned.

A single sarcastic remark to a UK customs officer provoked a very thorough search. They put all the photographic equipment serial numbers into their computer to check that duty had been paid. They identified one expensive item that he'd brought back from HK several years earlier and hadn't declared. Needless to say, he was stung for duty and VAT.

Drug traders and other smugglers manage to import contraband by the ton, not to mention the odd hundred thousand illegal immigrants. The chances of getting caught can't be very high but you do run the risk each time you return to the UK.
Newdevonian 2 439 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 12:19PM
I have bought lens caps, hoods, cables and lens pouches from various Hong Kong / Chinese suppliers, without any trouble whatsoever. You need to allow 8-25 days for delivery which can be worrying at the time. A lot of money can be saved here as most transactions are only around 1.00 inc. P&P and the items are generally of good quality. You for instance can buy 77mm centre pinch lens caps for 0.99p.

As for large ticket items, I have never been that brave, I always look for a UK warranty for those items.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
23 Nov 2012 12:45PM
I ordered a Nikon lens-cap for the princely sum of 99p, post free from Shanghai, but the rotters sent me Canon instead.

Ordering items costing hundreds or thousands is a very different matter.
Newdevonian 2 439 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 12:58PM

Quote:I ordered a Nikon lens-cap for the princely sum of 99p, post free from Shanghai, but the rotters sent me Canon instead.

Ordering items costing hundreds or thousands is a very different matter.

Luckily I got the brand I want. Perhaps your Mandarin was at fault?Wink
parallax e2
5 119 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 1:30PM
Simply Electronics have good prices. Also HDEW cameras where I bought my 5DII from (they offer a 3 year guarantee).
teepee 11 732 England
23 Nov 2012 4:04PM
digital rev pay vat and customs charges and give free postage that you can track at every stage, just used them and they were great, would deffo use in the future...............
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
23 Nov 2012 4:07PM
I ysed value basket for my D7000 and lens and they were fine though its a grey import
charlotte e2
10 34 2 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 4:50PM
I can recommend DigitalRev. They pay all the duty etc.

Charlotte
23 Nov 2012 5:36PM

Quote:....unless you use one stop digital...highly reccomended on EPZ..One stop guarantee to pay all UK taxes..read the T&Cs.
....doubt they give a global guarantee though.

Yes - but if "you get away with it" by customs not opening the parcel and charging tax you are comitting a crime if you do not notify customs and Excise and pay the 20% VAT on a camera body.
You might not see the difference between this sort of crime and kicking in a camera shop window if the items you want are on display.
Around 70% of the population who do not go in for any form of tax evasion do see the difference - and are subsidizing tax avoiders.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
23 Nov 2012 5:48PM

Quote:
A single sarcastic remark to a UK customs officer provoked a very thorough search. They put all the photographic equipment serial numbers into their computer to check that duty had been paid. They identified one expensive item that he'd brought back from HK several years earlier and hadn't declared. Needless to say, he was stung for duty and VAT.
quote]

Apart from the illegality, this is what would concern me.

StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
23 Nov 2012 8:08PM
Buy it in the UK, pay all the taxes, and enjoy it without the worry. If you travel, you can register it with UK customs, and if it's anything like Canada's system, they give a card to show if you're questioned. I buy tons of small ticket items from HK, usually free shipping and good prices, such as batteries and memory cards. In the case of memory cards, I tell them, if it isn't an original, I will report it, and return it. Never had a problem.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.