Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buying camera from Hongkong

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tottenham
tottenham  533 forum posts
23 Nov 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hi there,
I want to buy a 5D MKll.I notice quite a difference in price of the camera bought in the UK as to those bought in Hongkong.Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between these cameras and if there are any pitfalls buying from Hongkong,
Thankyou Barry

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Nov 2012 - 10:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2012 - 10:55 AM

There should be no difference, but ensure you have a global guarantee .. you will have to pay 20% VAT when you declare the product at customs (which is where the price differance is I guess).

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 - 11:26 AM

....unless you use one stop digital...highly reccomended on EPZ..One stop guarantee to pay all UK taxes..read the T&Cs.
....doubt they give a global guarantee though.

User_Removed
23 Nov 2012 - 11:42 AM

You will have to pay vat plus import duty, which will make the price much higher.
Alf.

thewilliam
23 Nov 2012 - 12:13 PM

If you do manage to avoid import duty and VAT when the camera is delivered, you run a risk every time you bring the camera back into the country as one friend learned.

A single sarcastic remark to a UK customs officer provoked a very thorough search. They put all the photographic equipment serial numbers into their computer to check that duty had been paid. They identified one expensive item that he'd brought back from HK several years earlier and hadn't declared. Needless to say, he was stung for duty and VAT.

Drug traders and other smugglers manage to import contraband by the ton, not to mention the odd hundred thousand illegal immigrants. The chances of getting caught can't be very high but you do run the risk each time you return to the UK.

Newdevonian
23 Nov 2012 - 12:19 PM

I have bought lens caps, hoods, cables and lens pouches from various Hong Kong / Chinese suppliers, without any trouble whatsoever. You need to allow 8-25 days for delivery which can be worrying at the time. A lot of money can be saved here as most transactions are only around 1.00 inc. P&P and the items are generally of good quality. You for instance can buy 77mm centre pinch lens caps for 0.99p.

As for large ticket items, I have never been that brave, I always look for a UK warranty for those items.

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 23 Nov 2012 - 12:25 PM
thewilliam
23 Nov 2012 - 12:45 PM

I ordered a Nikon lens-cap for the princely sum of 99p, post free from Shanghai, but the rotters sent me Canon instead.

Ordering items costing hundreds or thousands is a very different matter.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 23 Nov 2012 - 12:46 PM
Newdevonian
23 Nov 2012 - 12:58 PM

Quote: I ordered a Nikon lens-cap for the princely sum of 99p, post free from Shanghai, but the rotters sent me Canon instead.

Ordering items costing hundreds or thousands is a very different matter.

Luckily I got the brand I want. Perhaps your Mandarin was at fault?Wink

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5111 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 - 1:30 PM

Simply Electronics have good prices. Also HDEW cameras where I bought my 5DII from (they offer a 3 year guarantee).

teepee
teepee  11639 forum posts England
23 Nov 2012 - 4:04 PM

digital rev pay vat and customs charges and give free postage that you can track at every stage, just used them and they were great, would deffo use in the future...............

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2012 - 4:07 PM

I ysed value basket for my D7000 and lens and they were fine though its a grey import

charlotte
charlotte e2 Member 934 forum postscharlotte vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2012 - 4:50 PM

I can recommend DigitalRev. They pay all the duty etc.

Charlotte

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62435 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 - 5:36 PM

Quote: ....unless you use one stop digital...highly reccomended on EPZ..One stop guarantee to pay all UK taxes..read the T&Cs.
....doubt they give a global guarantee though.

Yes - but if "you get away with it" by customs not opening the parcel and charging tax you are comitting a crime if you do not notify customs and Excise and pay the 20% VAT on a camera body.
You might not see the difference between this sort of crime and kicking in a camera shop window if the items you want are on display.
Around 70% of the population who do not go in for any form of tax evasion do see the difference - and are subsidizing tax avoiders.

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 23 Nov 2012 - 5:38 PM
thewilliam
23 Nov 2012 - 5:48 PM

[quote]
A single sarcastic remark to a UK customs officer provoked a very thorough search. They put all the photographic equipment serial numbers into their computer to check that duty had been paid. They identified one expensive item that he'd brought back from HK several years earlier and hadn't declared. Needless to say, he was stung for duty and VAT.
quote]

Apart from the illegality, this is what would concern me.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014491 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2012 - 8:08 PM

Buy it in the UK, pay all the taxes, and enjoy it without the worry. If you travel, you can register it with UK customs, and if it's anything like Canada's system, they give a card to show if you're questioned. I buy tons of small ticket items from HK, usually free shipping and good prices, such as batteries and memory cards. In the case of memory cards, I tell them, if it isn't an original, I will report it, and return it. Never had a problem.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.