Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buying from 'Abroad' with Amazon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    petebfrance
    12 Oct 2012 - 12:59 PM

It's probably a daft question, but I'm thinking of buying a camera and living here in the sticks Amazon look like a good bet. I'm tempted to buy from Amazon UK although I live in France. Does anybody know if this would impact warranties in any way?

thanks in advance

Pete

Last Modified By petebfrance at 12 Oct 2012 - 1:00 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Oct 2012 - 12:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2012 - 2:04 PM

You would really have to check with the seller. There are frequently international warranties on equipment but there are also times when you don't get quite the same cover as with a normal warranty. I imagine you wouldn't be very happy if you had to send your camera to the UK to be repaired.

Ian

andart
    andart  12479 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Oct 2012 - 3:23 PM

When I lived in France about 4 yrs ago Amazon UK would not ship electric/electronic items to France - this included cameras at the time. They said UK stock had plugs for UK market..............

User_Removed
    12 Oct 2012 - 3:23 PM

Is Amazon UK really cheaper than Amazon France? It would be a first if it was.

andart
    andart  12479 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Oct 2012 - 3:27 PM

Quote: Is Amazon UK really cheaper than Amazon France?

Used to be - by a long way. I always waited till I was visiting the UK to get any new camera gear

petebfrance
    12 Oct 2012 - 4:00 PM

Many thanks for responses.

I think which is cheaper varies because of exchange rates, so last time I looked Amazon France was considerably cheaper on one item, whereas UK was cheaper on others that I looked at a week or so before.

UK would be convenient because:
    - I'd probably pay from a UK bank account and would not be at the mercy of the whims of currency fluctuation
    - any documentation would be in English (I hope) which I still find easier to read than French, particularly for 'technical terms'
    - sending back / complaining / other such stuff is easier for me to deal with in English than in French
    - I do have a 'track record' with Amazon UK as I buy a lot of stuff from them (books, DVDs etc) for us here in France but also for relations in the UK
    so I guess the initial period would be easier, even if I have to send things back. After that, though, I'm not sure.....

The best thing to do is probably to contact Amazon, but it would be nice to hear from others who have done something similar.

Pete

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.