Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buying from Abroad

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

PJImage
PJImage  753 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Sep 2007 - 10:10 PM

Has anyone any advice/bad experiences when purchasing cameras from Hong Kong shops on e bay.
Iam after a D80 and the prices are much cheaper 401.00 for body.
Is there anything to watch out for.

Opinions please

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Sep 2007 - 10:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ksh
ksh  9467 forum posts
29 Sep 2007 - 10:20 PM

Never had a bad one yet (touchwood) used Digital rev and onestopdigital
Edit - I have always gone for the duty paid auctions and have never had to pay any extra, beware of warranty when buying abroad

Last Modified By ksh at 29 Sep 2007 - 10:22 PM
MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93485 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
29 Sep 2007 - 10:41 PM

Quote: beware of warranty when buying abroadQuote this post

Yea...no warranty on cameras...body only.

....Mike

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2007 - 12:15 AM

There are some very good Hong Kong dealers, They have a massive feedback history on Ebay.

Yes there can be issues with Camera bodies only, regarding Warranty.......But the chances of a failure in the first 12 months are slim.....Smile

However you could still be the unlucky one...Sad

So you have to weigh of the possibility that A. You may have a failure in the 12 month manafacturers warranty period. Against the possiblity of the repair costing less than the saving you made......" Do You Feel Lucky " Smile

After the 12 month period has expired....Well your quids in of course.....Smile

Personally If the saving is under 100 quid.....I'm not sure it would be such a great idea to haul a camera body haf way across the planet....And worry about it going wrong....Smile

If your saving 100 to 200 Plus......Thats a different matter & you could well get a great deal.....Smile

HOWEVER.....There has been a few cases of D80 camera bodies bought here in the UK, from reputable suppliers.....That have been found to have some Hot or Dead pixel problems....Not a great number of pixels though.....But still something you don't want in a new camera.

IN all the instances of this problem the owners had the bodies replaced, And some had several bodies replaced.....Until they got one that was acceptable......Smile

NOW I know for a fact, That if you ask a Hong Kong dealer to check a body they are to supply and indeed warranty that the Pixel problem is not evident on the Unit they supply you, They will gladly do so.......Smile

But you could also ask the same question of a UK supplier.....It's Not Rocket Science to check for iffy pixels......BUT it's a whole lot better to clarify this at the point of sale.....Smile

""""" Do You Still Feel Lucky """"

OK! so whats the options.....Use a trusted Hong Kong dealer, And hope all goes well....Smile

Spend the extra and buy in the UK, But still establish the Pixel issue is OK......Smile

Or buy a D40x a very similar camera, In the UK for the Hong Kong price of a D80.....Smile

Blow another couple of hundred on a D200, ((( No pixel issues as far as I am aware, Probably due to the Higher grade sensor unit, Sorry where you under the impression it was the same as a D80....I'm afraid not....)))

So ther you have it.....So many choices....Smile

If you go down the Hong Kong route, I have dealt with the following dealers....And they are top draw.....Smile

" URGALAXY " ( Ebay )

" Hong Kong Trading " ( also Ebay, Also known as " ETEFORE " )

" KeaPhoto " ( Ebay )

Just make sure the deal has the No Vat warranty attached...Some do Some don't....varies from day to day.....Smile

Good luck whatever.....Smile Zzzzzzzz

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2007 - 7:36 AM

As well as the warranty issues, you'll probably find find it's little cheaper than buying in the UK, after you've paid the VAT and duty. You were planning to pay the the duty and VAT,right? If not, simply cut out the middle man and nick one from Jessops.
I suspect the savings are unilike to be large enough to compensate for the difficulty of dealing with a supplier in HK if you have problems.

justin c
justin c  104510 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2007 - 8:55 AM

Quote: You were planning to pay the the duty and VAT,right? If not, simply cut out the middle man and nick one from Jessops.

You said that last time,and the time before,and the time before that,and the time before that,etc.etc.etc

Time to think of a new punchline perhaps.

Last Modified By justin c at 30 Sep 2007 - 8:59 AM
p3asa
p3asa  8676 forum posts Scotland
30 Sep 2007 - 9:24 AM

Is it this D80 from Urgalaxy on eBay priced 409 you are interested in?

If so you forgot to factor in the postage of 52 which brings it up to 461

You can get this camera for 489 + 8 P&P from the UK through camerapricebusters maybe even cheaper if you search around.

I'm not so sure the HK price still looks a bargain with saving 36

Steven.

PJImage
PJImage  753 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Sep 2007 - 11:23 AM

Thanks very much for the advice,everybody especially Vince (again).
The D80 was for the Wife as I do not want her using D200.
Brought from Cameras2U @ 485.00 inc delivery.
Plus I believe Nikon now offering 2 year warranty as of 01-09-07.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2007 - 11:26 AM

Quote: the D80 was for the Wife as I do not want her using D200.

lol....

douglasR
douglasR  754 forum posts Scotland
30 Sep 2007 - 12:23 PM

I have purchased lots of gear including a D80 kit for my son from Kia photo, brilliant service, the D80 arrived in 3 days, full uk warranty. We are certainly getting ripped off in the UK.

stolzy
30 Sep 2007 - 1:05 PM

Quote: Time to think of a new punchline perhaps.

is it less true now than before?

Thincat
Thincat  7616 forum posts
30 Sep 2007 - 3:16 PM

Quote: I have purchased lots of gear including a D80 kit for my son from Kia photo, brilliant service, the D80 arrived in 3 days, full uk warranty. We are certainly getting ripped off in the UK.

Possibly, but don't necessarily blame the retailers or the manufacturers (except in the case of Sony). The costs of trading in this country are inflated by government taxes, property prices, interest rates, labour prices and haulage costs. This makes it difficult for a company to be viable, even with the high prices. Look at Jessops - they can't even service their debt, let alone make a profit.

stolzy
30 Sep 2007 - 3:31 PM

Quote: The costs of trading in this country are inflated by government taxes, property prices, interest rates, labour prices and haulage costs. This makes it difficult for a company to be viable, even with the high prices.

Some of this may be true, but government taxes? UK is a tax haven compared with most countries, especially other European countries. How do you work out that labour prices are higher? Than where? Property prices? Nikon is a Japanese company - not many places in the world have higher property prices than Japan. Interest rates - at an all time low.
I really don't see where this rip off Uk idea comes from.

loweskid
loweskid  122042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2007 - 4:24 PM

I've bought stuff from Hong Kong several times now with no problems except once. I can't remember the name of the company but they used DHL to ship the goods whereas all the others used the normal HK post. On this one occasion I was charged import duty plus a 'handling fee' to DHL and I ended up paying more than I would have paid in the UK. So check what company they use as shipping agents - personally I would never again buy from a company that uses DHL.

Thincat
Thincat  7616 forum posts
1 Oct 2007 - 11:54 AM

Quote: Quote:The costs of trading in this country are inflated by government taxes, property prices, interest rates, labour prices and haulage costs. This makes it difficult for a company to be viable, even with the high prices.Some of this may be true, but government taxes? UK is a tax haven compared with most countries, especially other European countries. How do you work out that labour prices are higher? Than where? Property prices? Nikon is a Japanese company - not many places in the world have higher property prices than Japan. Interest rates - at an all time low.
I really don't see where this rip off Uk idea comes from.

I was comparing the UK with the USA. I don't think buying from Japan works out any cheaper than buying in the UK, when you've paid the various taxes and duty. Buying from the USA, however, IS cheaper even when you pay tax, duty and postal charges.

I was not actually supporting the rip-off Britain claim - quite the opposite in fact. The USA is cheaper because of exactly the reasons I stated. The Government takes about 50% of what we earn and has the highest business tax rates in Europe.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.