Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Buying from Focus

timbo 12 592 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2010 9:22AM
Has anyone had any experience of buying kit from focus on imaging?
I'm looking to buy a new SB900 plus a few other bits and bobs and, as i go there every year anyway, wondered if there are any significant savings to be made at the show.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

edrhodes 9 540 12 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2010 9:27AM
Yes I've bought a couple of times at Focus, more often than not items are offered at 'Show Prices' as an incentive to buy.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
21 Jan 2010 10:10AM
I'm not so sure you save much there, but you can at least have a go with things - get a feel of them etc.
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
21 Jan 2010 10:14AM

Quote:...but you can at least have a go with things - get a feel of them etc

Does that include the models?

Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
21 Jan 2010 10:40AM
some of them - but others may give you a slap across the face Wink
samfurlong 8 2.5k United Kingdom
21 Jan 2010 1:03PM
To be honest not really.
What you generally get is high street people giving 'show special' prices which in reality end up being sort of the same ballpark as the better online retailers.
If you're thinking of buying some new gear anyway there is no reason not to get it at focus but you won't save a fortune.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Jan 2010 1:05PM
Simple, write down the cheapest price you can find online from reputable online store, then take it down to Focus and see if there is any saving.
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
21 Jan 2010 1:34PM
I've never managed to get any amazing deals, but as Ade says, you do get to lay your hands on....
mad-dogs 12 2.2k England
21 Jan 2010 3:49PM
Jacobs stand is probably the best place pricewise. It was the cheapest I found last year.
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2010 7:10PM
You dont really get much saving or retailer choice,,, i bought a tripod from there on impulse and when i got home they were no cheaper than others.
LensYews 6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2010 7:16PM

Quote:Simple, write down the cheapest price you can find online from reputable online store, then take it down to Focus and see if there is any saving.

Or look up the price on camerapricebuster there on your smartphone/netbook, show them and ask them to beat the price. You never know, they might - at least you can save yourself the postage & packing, and the worry over what's going to go wrong with the delivery or receiving a faulty unit.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
21 Jan 2010 7:18PM
Not exactly kit.

When I used to go they had a very good "Book" stand with a massive selection on almost every photographic topic.
At least you could flick through them before buying, something that cannot be done on the internet.

So books, I would suggest, is something worth looking at / buying.
NeilS e2
7 936 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2010 9:36PM
Jacobs did some good deals on Canon paper last year, two for one offers.
Mike_g 8 37 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2010 11:05AM
You can get some good deals from smaller companies. I got a mount cutter that was 20% cheaper than I'd seen anywhere else, including ebay.

Some of the refurbished or "B" grade stock can be good value, but as has been said, make a note beforehand of the cheapest online price
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2010 8:38PM
Thinking about it for a while longer,, i did get a bargain one year, the battery grip for my D80.. YXTK or something like that, lol,, nikon was 200 ish, but they were only 34 and it has everything the nikon one has, and has worked flawlessly for about 4 years.
They have a stand there normally that has them all on.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.