Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buying from Focus

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    timbo
    timbo  12591 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Jan 2010 - 9:22 AM

Has anyone had any experience of buying kit from focus on imaging?
    I'm looking to buy a new SB900 plus a few other bits and bobs and, as i go there every year anyway, wondered if there are any significant savings to be made at the show.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Jan 2010 - 9:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

edrhodes
    edrhodes  9521 forum posts United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2010 - 9:27 AM

Yes I've bought a couple of times at Focus, more often than not items are offered at 'Show Prices' as an incentive to buy.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2010 - 10:10 AM

I'm not so sure you save much there, but you can at least have a go with things - get a feel of them etc.

Kris_Dutson
    21 Jan 2010 - 10:14 AM

Quote: ...but you can at least have a go with things - get a feel of them etc

Does that include the models?

Wink

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2010 - 10:40 AM

some of them - but others may give you a slap across the face Wink

samfurlong
    21 Jan 2010 - 1:03 PM

To be honest not really.
    What you generally get is high street people giving 'show special' prices which in reality end up being sort of the same ballpark as the better online retailers.
    If you're thinking of buying some new gear anyway there is no reason not to get it at focus but you won't save a fortune.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2010 - 1:05 PM

Simple, write down the cheapest price you can find online from reputable online store, then take it down to Focus and see if there is any saving.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315583 forum posts England
    21 Jan 2010 - 1:34 PM

I've never managed to get any amazing deals, but as Ade says, you do get to lay your hands on....

mad-dogs
    mad-dogs  122201 forum posts England
    21 Jan 2010 - 3:49 PM

Jacobs stand is probably the best place pricewise. It was the cheapest I found last year.

Last Modified By mad-dogs at 21 Jan 2010 - 3:49 PM
    BigRick
    BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2010 - 7:10 PM

You dont really get much saving or retailer choice,,, i bought a tripod from there on impulse and when i got home they were no cheaper than others.

LensYews
    LensYews  51302 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2010 - 7:16 PM

Quote: Simple, write down the cheapest price you can find online from reputable online store, then take it down to Focus and see if there is any saving.

Or look up the price on camerapricebuster there on your smartphone/netbook, show them and ask them to beat the price. You never know, they might - at least you can save yourself the postage & packing, and the worry over what's going to go wrong with the delivery or receiving a faulty unit.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2010 - 7:18 PM

Not exactly kit.

When I used to go they had a very good "Book" stand with a massive selection on almost every photographic topic.
    At least you could flick through them before buying, something that cannot be done on the internet.

So books, I would suggest, is something worth looking at / buying.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 21 Jan 2010 - 7:22 PM
    NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7868 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    21 Jan 2010 - 9:36 PM

Jacobs did some good deals on Canon paper last year, two for one offers.

Mike_g
    Mike_g  837 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Jan 2010 - 11:05 AM

You can get some good deals from smaller companies. I got a mount cutter that was 20% cheaper than I'd seen anywhere else, including ebay.

Some of the refurbished or "B" grade stock can be good value, but as has been said, make a note beforehand of the cheapest online price

BigRick
    BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2010 - 8:38 PM

Thinking about it for a while longer,, i did get a bargain one year, the battery grip for my D80.. YXTK or something like that, lol,, nikon was 200 ish, but they were only 34 and it has everything the nikon one has, and has worked flawlessly for about 4 years.
    They have a stand there normally that has them all on.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.