Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buying Lenses in Singapore

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnp
    johnp  9136 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Aug 2010 - 4:11 PM

I'm visiting Singapore shortly and wonder if anyone can advise me on camera shopping please? Particularly interested in Canon lenses.

Is there currently any significant price advantage buying in Singapore as opposed to UK?

Can you recommend a good shop(s), please?

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Aug 2010 - 4:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LesF
    LesF  7175 forum posts8 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Aug 2010 - 4:57 PM

Prices in Singapore are not that difference than buying on the internet in UK, not sure about warranty either.

If you still want to look at examples in the shops I cannot remmber the name but if your in Clarkes Quay by the resturants and bars walk along there to the main road bridge turn right walk up the road and on the left hand side about 400 metres or so is a building with 5 or 6 floors of tech stuff includung several camera shops.

Enjoy Singapore

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Aug 2010 - 5:26 PM

A friend that went there last year saved no money. If you buy lenses make certain it is an L lens so you get the international warranty, and remember you ought to declare it to HM Customs as you return and pay the duties/taxes as required. Like any form of smuggling/tax evasion you could try avoiding it or you could get caught.

thewilliam
    10 Aug 2010 - 6:06 PM

Be careful where you buy. A few years back, a colleague bought a Nikon in the far-east. I forget which country.

When it broke down under what he thought was the warranty, he sent it to Richmond, only to be told that his camera hadn't been near a Nikon factory.

dandeakin
    dandeakin  6198 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Aug 2010 - 6:49 PM

I was there a few months ago and the Nikon prices were quite abit more expensive than UK prices

User_Removed
    10 Aug 2010 - 7:17 PM

All been covered before - many times. Lenses normally carry an International Warranty i.e. the Warranty will be valid in your country of domicile regardless of where it was purchased (Tokina is an exception)

Cameras? Warranty is only valid in the Country of purchase i.e. buy a camera body in Singapore, get a fault with it subsequently, it will have to be sent to the manufacturers agent in Singapore.

HTH's.

BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Aug 2010 - 8:31 PM

my wifes father is in singapore at the moment for work, and i asked him to have a look for me, he mailed me the best prices they gave him, and they were slightly more than over here at the moment.

I will stick to this country to get the warranty and the easy returns service.

johnp
    johnp  9136 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Aug 2010 - 9:29 PM

Many thanks. It was worth a try. And yes, strawman, it/they would definitely have been L glass (is there any other kind? Grin ).
    John

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Aug 2010 - 11:46 PM

Quote: Many thanks. It was worth a try. And yes, strawman, it/they would definitely have been L glass (is there any other kind? Grin ).
    John

Beer?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.