Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buying off eBay

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    paulbennett
    8 Aug 2006 - 9:44 PM

Guys im abit warey of seaching through ebay as i have been stung before, (false buyers) Is ebay a good source for cheap lenses?

take this for example - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160016782223&a...

i have probs got more competion now lol. But this lens is nearly 1300 brand new but its only up for 310 atm. Could it be ligit? This is when i would rather spend full price int store because i know im getting a good item.

What are your views on buying things from ebay, especialy photography gear.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Aug 2006 - 9:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    8 Aug 2006 - 9:51 PM

That seller looks perfectly OK to me, and if you pay with paypal you are protected up to 500 in the event that it goes belly up.

That price will rise (mostly in the last 10 minutes)

Snapper
    Snapper  93772 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Aug 2006 - 10:28 PM

Agree with Cambirder on the last few minutes price rise, but there is also one for sale in the Classifieds on here at 710. (nothing to do with me)

User_Removed
    9 Aug 2006 - 5:28 AM

Agree with Paul. The seller appears to be legitimate - 100% feedback on over 400 deals.

paulbennett
    9 Aug 2006 - 6:34 AM

ok this guy seems ligit Smile But what about when it says 'from hong kong' because there are some wicked bargins to be had, but those 3 words put the shivers up me. even if they have had great feedback Sad

i guess i dont really believe in ebay, maybe because it hasnt been good to me Sad boo hoo

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Aug 2006 - 8:06 AM

All seems ok to me.

It will rise in bids for a good few hundred yet with a good day to go.

You say you were stung by a buyer.As a seller you should ensure the money is safely in your account before parting with any goods.
    Ken

mpbphotographic

Be aware that that lens is coming from the states. That seller is legit and supposedly will refund import duty but I don't have any experience in dealing with him personally so cannot say for sure.
    Regarding Hong Kong, its the usual issues of import duty and VAT that people tend to forget.
    By the way, I would avoid that lens altogether if I was you- the focussing is very slow.

Matt

paulbennett
    9 Aug 2006 - 8:57 AM

Quote: You say you were stung by a buyer.As a seller you should ensure the money is safely in your account before parting with any goods.

Your right! i never sent anything off without being paid for it...its just when you get mucked about and wait and wait for payment, and it just never happens then u have to relist it...it all adds up eventualy. Sad

Quote: By the way, I would avoid that lens altogether if I was you- the focussing is very slow.

Ah ha thanks for that ill look elsewhere.... Grin

joewarner
    joewarner  9
    10 Aug 2006 - 1:26 AM

I have bought a lot off lens off Ebay. Canon EF: 50mm 1.4 (USA); 24-70mm 2.8 (UK); 180mm macro(UK); 1.4 and x2 extender(UK); 200mm 1.8 (USA); 12mm and 25mm extension tubes.

F0r the 180mm and the 200mm 1.8 I was kacking me-self, wads of cash! Paid via paypal for insurance coverSmile
    At the moment if you pay by credit card the companies have to honour their insurance, it was argued in the Lords and the consumer won, however the credit card companies are still fighting the descision.

You do need to email them first I always ask leading questions, especially UK based, such as can I COD. etc. The only lens new was the macro, all the others are secondhand and have been super.

Any seller asking you to email a seperate email system... forget them.

I have bought from Hong Kong but it wasn't camera stuff, it was fine.

slipstream
    10 Aug 2006 - 5:41 AM

I have used 2 HK companies through ebay for camera stuff and have had no problems whatsoever. One I use most is digitalrev and they have a UK tel no, english speaking HK personnel and can items can be paid into a UK bank account at any high street bank although i always pay via paypal.

If you are concerned, send them an email as a tester.

Cheers

MeanGreeny
    10 Aug 2006 - 6:22 AM

Search on Onestop-Digital on here.

You will find plenty of buyers who have been happy. VAT is refunded.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.