Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

C & C

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2009 - 5:15 PM

Geraint:

1. What do you like of their PF (if you do)?

Your protraits are fantastic and you seem to have a good rapport with your subjects - they seem to be completely relaxed in front of the camera. The quality of lighting and processing in the portraits is also very high. I also like the urban shots which are a counterpioint to the very formal portraits.

2. What do you think is lacking in their PF?

Probably a bit of variety. I'd like to see some more informal potraiture. Your pf touches on it here and there and it looks like a strong suit that you don't play on. I'd also like to see a bit more landscape work - it looks like you have an eye for it but don't work very hard at it.

3. How do you think they can improve their PF?

As a photographer that doesn't really do people it's difficult for me to add to what I've said above. Main thing I would think is some variety and maybe a bit more colour.

4. What would you like to see in their PF?

Infromal portraits and even some candid shots. You clearly connect with people and I think that's a strength for both genres.

5. Whose work would you recommend them to have a look at.

Caotiquemind comes to mind (sorry), his portraiture has the same high quality but adds a bit of informality that I find compelling. Scottishlandscapes for the landscape stuff is another I can suggest - his eye for composition, calrity of view and colour is superb.

Fraser

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Nov 2009 - 5:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
21 Nov 2009 - 5:27 PM

Fraser

Fraser has a strong portfolio that gracefully does what I aspire to do: It precisely shows his skills whilst not subjecting the viewer to images that are too broad in their subject types.

2.3.4. What do you think is lacking in their PF? How do you think they can improve their PF? What do you like to see in their PF?

I would love to see Fraser capture some action in his shots! - Perhaps a stormy coast (which would fit very well with his landscape work) or some other kind of "abstract" action that pushes motion as its main viewing ideal.

I think those would sit in nicely and create a contrast between the very still captures.

- Also awaiting some more macro photography - as the spider has a pleasant amount of detail that I am sure lots of people would like and appreciate.

5. Whose work would you recommend them to have a look at (if you know any)?

I'm going to stick a famous photographer in here; because his images really do inspire to explore what you see before you.

Take a look at some of Andreas gursky's works. - is high viewpoint-wide angel style is easy to incorporate with your current photos.

~Swwils

Last Modified By User_Removed at 21 Nov 2009 - 5:29 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
G6DDS
G6DDS e2 Member 5231 forum postsG6DDS vcard Scotland
21 Nov 2009 - 10:54 PM

Swwils
The image wonder is amazing and deserves more credit than it got.
I would just say the amount of images but since you have not been on EPZ long thats not your fault. I would also suggest trying to add more colour to your portrait work to make them stand out more.
Just get out there and click away
4. What would you like to see in their PF?
More landscape work. Your 1st upload is great
5. Whose work would you recommend them to have a look at.
If it's portrait work you are into the have a look at TRUEX or JaneyO they are both master of this kind of work.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2010 - 8:08 PM

Thought I would resurect this old thread, I found it useful when it first started:

Right to G6DDS;

Iain has a creative flair. Hes not affraid to break from the norm, however sometimes trying to be different can lead to the images being a bit unfomfortable, what I mean by this is that the compositions should be considered just a little more.
As Iain is relativewly new to EPZ its probably a bit early to say, tho he does seem to like the images to like more moody imagery maybe try a few more black and white conversions
I'm not sure how Iain converts the images, but it looks like he uses the camera Jpeg. I would look at getting the most out of the RAW either looking for online tutorials, or if you use for example Lightroom a book. Alternatively look for a course. I took the later action when I first started and it gave me a good grounding as to why different settings work, rather than trial and error.

I would also look at compositions - get to learn thirds properly, then read round lead in lines, golden section - repeating forms, 3's etc, etc. I find some of the images at the moment are cropped in just a little too tight.

4. What do you like to see in their PF?
Judging by Iain's tastes maybe look at more digital compositions - always do the thing your passionate about, so only Iain could answer that.
5. Whose work would you recommend them to have a look at (if you know any)?
Judging from what I have noticed in Iains PF - DaveU, Scaramange, Coleslaw, Chase, Eviscera, VICTORHABBICK, Trooper to name but a few. But take inspiration from all genres and other art forms. A look at the "Old Masters" for example will teach you an awfull lot about lighting and composition.

What I would say is check the gallerys, the various genres and dont be affrain to ask questions.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2010 - 10:05 AM

forgot about this thread - nice one for bringing it back Nick.

Reckon it'll be even better now we can upload images as examples of what we're saying

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.