Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

C & C

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2009 - 3:23 PM

Ah, so you did, Martin. Forgive me for not spotting your name in there... Wink

And cheers, Ade. The lack of impulsive stuff I aim to put right with the Sony DSLR I've recently purchased. LF is great but, as you say, impulsiveness just doesn't enter into it.... Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jun 2009 - 3:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

croberts
croberts  92160 forum posts Ireland8 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2009 - 4:29 PM

OK, for Martin.W

1. What do you like of their PF (if you do)?
I found my eye skipping over the wide angle sunsets and seascapes, and was drawn to shots like Swirling Tide, and Tree Line.

2. What do you think is lacking in their PF?
Something about himself and his photography. Something a bit more personal.

3. How do you think they can improve their PF?
Try something new. Concentrate on some more details, and look for beautiful compositions in the small stuff

4. What do you like to see in their PF?
I like seeing the beautiful locations. But would like to see a more varied study of each place, rather than the big vistas

5. Whose work would you recommend them to have a look at (if you know any)?
No idea. I'd say go work it out for your self. See what happens.

Last Modified By croberts at 16 Jun 2009 - 4:31 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
martin.w
martin.w e2 Member 12350 forum postsmartin.w vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2009 - 5:00 PM

Thanks Chris, some good points there. Interestingly 'Tree Line' was the last in a set of 8 taken with the 100-400 lens, including Spurn and Wast Water, showing just that sort of detail Wink

That said, I am a wide angled junkie and really should use other lenses more. As for more shots of me and my photography, I wouldn't even know where to start.....any ideas?

Again thanks Chris for your input Smile

Last Modified By martin.w at 16 Jun 2009 - 5:01 PM
croberts
16 Jun 2009 - 5:50 PM

Quote: I wouldn't even know where to start.....any ideas?

lol. its a toughie.

I think a lot of landscape photogs tend to enjoy the anonymity it brings, where as some photographers work, allows the viewer to hazard a guess as to who the photographer is, and what drives them.

Id say delve into other aspects of your life, and perhaps look for photo opportunities there. Im sure you do already, but im only seeing your PF on here.

At the end of the day, its each to their own, but i'm just a fan of variety. Smile

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2009 - 6:57 PM

Haha thanks Mark.

I was playing around with a lensbaby on the puffins, but not happy with anything. I also have an ongoing arrangement with your mum to swap ideas, me to do a seascape and her to photograph the kites at Gigrin, but co-ordinating diaries is a bit of an issue.

Have also been experimenting with the slow shutter speed stuff a lot more, but so far the results are mainly for me Smile I have quite a few ideas, but finding appropriate subjects is proving the biggest stumbling factor.

And as I suggested to Alex very interested in some of the Scandanavian photographers work.

Black and white, was playing around with Nik SilverFX, but again not yet happy with the results, so not yet for posting.

Engaging my humour in my work - hmm now that's an idea, but could make for some weird results Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2009 - 6:58 PM

Quote: I was playing around with a lensbaby on the puffins

How strange, I was thinking about that today! LOL

Now, croberts' PF please...Smile

croberts
16 Jun 2009 - 7:22 PM

Quote: Now, croberts' PF please...

GULP! Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2009 - 11:32 PM

is no one playing Sad

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2009 - 12:16 AM

OK for CRoberts

1 What I like the variety and what looks like a personal approach to life.

2 What is lacking? Perhaps consistency. There is some very good work, and every now and then some work that is not to the same standard creeps in. But that may not be a fair comment after all the variety is good.

3 How could they improve their portfolio, by being ruthless in editing it.

4 What would I like to see more of. The kids photo's they look fun and different, if anything I would like to see you put of body of work together on those, they look good fun and different.

5 Who's work, well Iike his particular slant on life, so go be critical of your own portfolio as I like the facts it is different.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
croberts
17 Jun 2009 - 8:36 AM

Thanks!

EPZ for me isn't about an on line "portfolio", its about pictures I like, or have enjoyed making. They get posted here for a number of reasons, but hopefully someone else likes them too!

I tend not to post 'work' here, as I find EPZ an escape from the day job, and try and keep it more personal. There is some pictures in there that were shot during the course of my work, but usually because they remind me of a happy moment. Smile

Maybe some sort of EPZ picture blog would be more suited to my approach to the site, and my EPZ Gallery page could contain a more cohesive, structured portfolio.

its food for thought. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

conrad
conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2009 - 8:53 AM

Quote: Maybe some sort of EPZ picture blog would be more suited to my approach to the site

Not only that, but having a blog feature on a photo site which doesn't include the option to show photos doesn't seem to make sense...

Ahem, but back to the portfolios, I agree that Chris has a very varied portfolio!

LisaRose
LisaRose  7172 forum posts United States4 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2009 - 9:16 AM

For Strawman:

I like the variety in your pf. You have a good eye for creative shots.
I like the "Rush Hour" photo a lot.
What is lacking: focusing on technical end on some of the more creative shots. IE: PS skills

How to improve: Although I love the variety, it would be beneficial to stay with one thing and get it down really well before moving on to the next kind of picture.
I would like to see more creative images backed up with some good post processing.
Who's work: Not sure

I like your pf a lot.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2009 - 10:04 AM

Makes quite interesting reading - looks like the common "improvement" themes are:-

More variety
More people shots
More emotion
More indivduality

just think how much more interesting the gallery would be if people took all that on board and tried to make shots with those points in mind!

Picture_Newport
17 Jun 2009 - 11:03 AM

Quote: just think how much more interesting the gallery would be if people took all that on board and tried to make shots with those points in mind!

Even if people just took one piece of advice given and give it a go it would be an interesting exercise for themselves and probably have an impact on thier Portfolios, making them more diverse and forcing them to think outside of thier own personal box.

For Example:

Following davids comments on my own PF, i have to aggree with him that I should try and do some more colour portrait work and also get out of the studio. I am a little busy right now but I will shortly be aranging some location shoots.

Paul

Picture_Newport
17 Jun 2009 - 11:09 AM

The Questions.

1. What do you like of their PF (if you do)?
2. What do you think is lacking in their PF?
3. How do you think they can improve their PF?
4. What do you like to see in their PF?
5. Whose work would you recommend them to have a look at (if you know any)?

For LisaRose Porfolio.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.