Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

C & C

fauxtography e2
9 6.6k 36
17 Jun 2009 11:28AM

Quote:Even if people just took one piece of advice given and give it a go it would be an interesting exercise for themselves and probably have an impact on thier Portfolios, making them more diverse and forcing them to think outside of thier own personal box.

Yeah, it will be... Phil's comments have got me looking through my PF again and looking at its, and my progression.

And for the new page:

The Questions.

1. What do you like of their PF (if you do)?
2. What do you think is lacking in their PF?
3. How do you think they can improve their PF?
4. What do you like to see in their PF?
5. Whose work would you recommend them to have a look at (if you know any)?

For LisaRose's Porfolio.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LisaRose 8 172 4 United States
17 Jun 2009 4:53PM
Come on! Don't be shy. Jump in people....someone do my pf!! Be brave little soldier...you can do it!! Wink
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2009 6:20PM
I suggest someone else also does Lisa to keep the spirit

1 What do I like. The still life images are good and studies of how to simplify the image. Also there is often good control/use of light

2 what is lacking, people and landscapes

3 How could they improve, take the same level of attention to detail and image simplification into their other work, especially the wildlife images

4 What do I like to see, the control in the still life images

5 For wildlife have a look at CSURRY . If you look you will see a simplification of the image. So I would suggest you think about reducing depth of field in your wildlife images and taking your still life skills across.

Oh and your comments on me fair and some of them I had been thinking myself. I have a fairly technical job so I sometimes shrink from it.
17 Jun 2009 6:40PM
Thank you John. I appreciate it very much! You brought up some good points which I will use to better my images.
BlueRoom e2
8 73 20 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2009 6:52PM
For LisaRose

Your portfolio is a cheerful happy place to be, very colourful and loaded with flowers and fruit. All your images are carefully and thoughtfully chosen, never appearing to be put up just because nothing else is available and this comes across as showing respect for the viewer and for your own work. I also like the way you are not scared to add some strong processing as in the second version of Victorian Rose which works extremely well.

What doesnít come across very strongly is any sense of the world you inhabit, your place within it or your attitude to it, though the glimpses we do get are intriguing.

To improve your portfolio maybe a few more pictures taken on the fly, a little less considered and a touch more informal.

What Iíd like to see in your portfolio is more imaginative work which works extremely well when you do it. Colours of the mind is a splendid example of this and shows that you have the imagination and the skill sets to really take off and fly.

The work Iíd recommend is Dianne's as I think a lot of her work starts in the same sort of place as yours does but then ends up somewhere completely different.

It has been a great pleasure poking around in your portfolio.

Eric
rowarrior e2
7 4.4k 9 Scotland
17 Jun 2009 7:32PM
Hmm, now nothing like C&Cing the PA Team to guarantee you never get an award, but here goes Grin

You have a lot of fun images in there, I remember particularly liking the I AM A Puffin one when I saw it in the gallery, looks like you have lots of fun making your images

You do digitial manipulation very well, but it would be nice to see some more 'straight' photos, especially more of people (I'm a bit worried by all the sheep though, you're not Welsh are you? Wink )

Add some more people shots, and possibly some landscapes that haven't been sepiaed

See 2 and 3

Sorry, I'm terrible at recommending things to people better than me, but as you like stuff on the fly, to get more people maybe Steve Charles
(who has now got no people on the front page of his pf, grr! Obviously he's diversifying too lol), Mark Scholey or Shaks . There's plenty more, but their user names elude me temporarily!
17 Jun 2009 8:39PM
Thank you Eric. Some great points and ideas, and like I said to John I will use these ideas to better my images. Thanks so much for taking the time!

Lisa
BlueRoom e2
8 73 20 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2009 9:36PM
Cheers Lisa. It was an interesting thing to do. Was I a brave little soldier? Smile

Thank you Katy for your thoughts. The people thing I am very aware of and do want to rectify. I take more landscapes than I post here, mostly cos I try not to dilute the Ďpersonalityí of the PF as a whole, but I am aware that this may not always be for the best.
I do have fun making my images and that will always be the main driving force... But donít worry about the sheep, itís just that there are lots more of them round here than there are people, Smile ... and they donít usually start shouting for a policeman if you photograph their lambs. Sad
17 Jun 2009 10:14PM
Its a shame that this thread seems to have slowed down as imho its a very interesting, positive and very benefitial thread to the people involved, I normally dont post much on the forum, but lurk a bit Smile Any ideas how we can get this one going again, as I was going to join in but the previous posters have all been critiqued, and didnt want to duplicate stuff thats already been posted. We need to get this one going as I believe it has a looonngg way to go yet before it dissappears, roll up roll up come on folks Smile

Just to remind, the 5 sections:

If anyone wants to have a go at mine, go ahead, it may get the ball rolling again..
Mark
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Jun 2009 10:16PM
It is ok, Mark, you can still C&C on Rowarrior , then it will continue..
17 Jun 2009 10:18PM
okey dokey Cole, I'll go have a browse Wink - Excellent thread by the way..be back in 5.....
17 Jun 2009 10:32PM
Here goes:

I really like the range of subjects, not sticking to one subject, and having a go at different things, and very well too. The mono doolin pub shots are excellent.

It is a difficult one this as Katy has a go at most types of photography, and does it well, the portrait work is looking good, the nature shots are very natural, but one thing I would like to see more of is more of her architectual work.

This is quite a personal thing I think, and depends how the individual wants to process their images, I personally like darker sunset type landscape images and love hdr processing, so maybe I'd like to see Katy do some further photoshop work and more heavily process some of her landscape work, but again, it all depends on the individual, and I know a lot of people may not agree about the hdr stuff.

I particularly like the landscape work and the eye for the images she has, The Crannog (not sussed out how to link yet) I think is a great piece of work, and captures the scene beautifully, I'd like to see more macro work in there too.

Cant answer this really, as I dont have a vast knowledge of other photographers away from epz Smile

There ya go Smile
Cheers
Mark
17 Jun 2009 10:57PM
Cheers Eric, and yes you were! LOL Wink
stevemelvin e2
9 675 2 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2009 11:21PM
OK, here are my comments on Mark's (Bruffy) portfolio:

I'm a landscape fan and there are some tremendous landscape shots in Mark's portfolio. He shows an excellent compositional ability combined with the ability to capture some lovely light to maximise the impact of those compositions. It also seems to me that he gets a lot right "in camera" but is also able to enhance shots nicely in the post-processing without over-cooking it. Very impressive all round.

Non-landscapes! (although I saw a couple of butterflies in there too!) Clearly Mark is most at home taking landscape shots but it would be good to see some other genres too, to widen his all-round skills. For example, portraits/people, architecture, close-up/macro, etc.

Apart from widening into other areas, for the landscapes perhaps the biggest improvement might be to find some, as yet, undiscovered locations (if there are any left!). A lot of the shots in Mark's portfolio (particularly the newer shots) are of places that are now pretty familiar to photographers, so finding something new would be add a bit of freshness? Also, although this is very much a matter of personal taste, I am not too sure about the borders and text on most of the shots. I think these could either be more subtle/understated or made more sleek and professional-looking. There are some good examples in the gallery everyday of this, for inspiration.

I think I have covered this off above. Try some portraits!

Have a look at the following portfolios that contain some landscapes with real wow factor, as inspiration to take your work up to the next notch:

Simon_Palmer
ChrisPlumbe
andytvcams
dmhuynh72

I hope these comments help and come across as constructive.

Cheers,
Steve
MaryMac 8 258 1 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2009 5:23AM
First time to see Steves PF but wont be my last !

Here goes
1: Very good seascapes with good lighting and a good variety of angles composition is spot on in most of them too I especially liked Embelton Rocks also some of the portrait work is excellent I like shots that show "natural folks" like The Driver but also some of the B/W shots are also very good
2: Not much macro apart from flowers which by the way are also good shots Smile
3:This is difficult to answer as I don't have the experience to say what could improve or not especially with the seascapes getting the light right is a must and Steve seems to have this spot on Some of the portrait shots could be better lit though
4:More macro maybe some really close up pebble shots etc and maybe more portraits
5" Look at some of the portrait people on here for ways to improve
Apart from that I really like your work Steve you have some lovely shots in your PF and I hope you dont mind my comments on your work
Mary

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.