Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

C & C

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MarkBroughton
18 Jun 2009 - 7:45 AM

Thank you Steve, much appreciate the comments, and I will take them in, I agree with you about locations and subjects, I need to get out there to some undiscovered areas, and try some different things. Thanks for taking the time, and they do come across as helpful and constructive.
Cheers
Mark

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Jun 2009 - 7:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318441 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2009 - 8:15 AM

These are really good keep them coming.

stevemelvin
stevemelvin e2 Member 8675 forum postsstevemelvin vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2009 - 10:18 AM

Firstly, thanks very much to Mary for your comments. They are very helpful. Portraits in particular is an area I want to practice a lot more - I need to find some volunteers to be models! Smile

Secondly, you're welcome Mark. I'm glad you took my comments the right way.

Good thread this.

Cheers,
Steve

Picture_Newport
18 Jun 2009 - 10:24 AM

The Questions again... new page an all that.

1. What do you like of their PF (if you do)?
2. What do you think is lacking in their PF?
3. How do you think they can improve their PF?
4. What do you like to see in their PF?
5. Whose work would you recommend them to have a look at (if you know any)?

For MaryMac Portfolio.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2009 - 1:15 PM

.....well if no one else is playing, I'll keep the kettle boiling for now!

Assuming here that you live in africa... otherwise some comments may not make much sense below

Quite a small selection to choose from - mainly butterflies and other animals. not my area at all, but lets see...

Generally there focus is there, the colours in the insects are vivid and attractive, things like their antennae are pin sharp.

Also incredibly jealous of the area she lives in... colour to die for!

I don't think it fair to comment on variety with such a small folio - I'm sure this will come with time. If you're into butterflies, just keep trying and improving

I think the first thing she'd benefit from is a faster lens which will allow more background blurring - this will in turn isolate the subject against a lovely pastel background. In quite a few of the shots the backround is blurred, but has enough detail to take the eye from the insect.

Also, maybe have a think about composition when you get chance to - I know these things fly away very quickly and you may be only have 3 seconds to get a shot, so can't really stand and compose. Here's an emaple that may benefit from a rethink - the wings are superb, really jump out, but do we want to crop in a little to make the insect "rule" in the shot? I dunno, but its an idea.

the butterfly in this shot is really nice, but do the bud things at the left and bottom add, or detract from the shot? It may well have been a HC contender if it were more isolated?

Just a few thoughts from someone who'd never shot nature before Wink I'm sure a faster lens and wider aperture will lift the shots incredibly.

Coming from where you do, It'd be great to show us brits more of the envionment you enjoy - sunsets with Elephant silhouettes spring to mind, dust trails foloowing vehicles, all that kind of thing... if you're not from Africa and the cat photos are captive ones, then disregard this Wink

heaven knows, I don't really do wildlife - watch Big Cat Diaries or something Smile

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
MaryMac
MaryMac  8258 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2009 - 1:59 PM

Wow thanks Ade I am quite chuffed to get such positive feedback and yes I am in Africa, I live in Botswana Central Kalahari region it is a hot dry place and has really bright light from the sunshine which is often a problem as it washes everything out. Strictly a happy snapper but love macro work with all insects and butterfly's I will rework some of my shots too and see how they look
I have lots of animal/sunset/sunrise shots which I will post for a while from tomorrow and see what folks think .
I tend to have my little Sony H50 with me but do use a Nikon D70s too what lens would you recommend I get ?
Cheers for taking the time to do this its much appreciated and food for thought
Mary

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2009 - 2:11 PM

what you need is a prime lens, i.e. one without Zoom, as they tend to have larger apertures which give that background blur.

most macros are 100mm - there are some at 60mm for crop cameras like the D70, and others as long as 180mm.

any of those will do - but are not cheap.

I think the 85mm F1.8 is cheaper, a popular lens as it's good for portarits and fast - the background blur is really nice

MaryMac
MaryMac  8258 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2009 - 2:30 PM

Thank you Ade have sent you a PM hope you dont mind me asking for advice
Mary

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2009 - 3:00 PM

I will play but lost whos next victim I mean person to be critted. Smile....

ade_mcfade
18 Jun 2009 - 3:03 PM

don't think reluctant_fish has been done... well not on this or the last page anyway

uggyy
18 Jun 2009 - 3:04 PM

kk going to work on RF then Smile

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2009 - 3:30 PM

Sorry, belated thanks to Mark/Bruffy for his feedback from last night, especially for the compliments, afraid I'd gone to bed by then!

Quote: but one thing I would like to see more of is more of her architectual work.

It's something I've not really tried much of to be honest, I do keep meaning to go round some of the great buildings in Glasgow, but never quite get round to it - maybe a project for this summer one weekend Smile

Quote: I'd like to see Katy do some further photoshop work and more heavily process some of her landscape work

Yes, processing is something I'm really not hot on, I really must buy a book about what I need to do, as I don't find PS very user intuitive, and I get frustrated and then peed off very quickly!

Quote: I'd like to see more macro work in there too.

I have plans for some in a project soon, but I have some set building to do first Smile

I realised I also didn't go into Alex and Kris' feedback from the first page either, after thanking them, I did take it on board, but to answer a couple of things:

Quote: Bugs! Its about the only thing missing - unless you start experimenting with black and white

Yes, as before I'll skip the bugs, even butterflies have those little feet that can touch you (it's an entirely irrational dislike really, as I'm not scared of them, just really dislike anoything touching me!) Black and white I'm planning to give more of a go at for the project mentioned above with the set building.

Quote: How do you think they can improve their PF?

As above - try to capture some emotion in your subject(s). The portraits especially

I know I really need to do some more portrait stuff, so I'll work on this. Have some ideas, just need to find some time to do them Smile

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2009 - 3:31 PM

I covered RF, but I don't see any problem in it going round a couple of times.

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 18 Jun 2009 - 3:32 PM
rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2009 - 3:49 PM

You can have a go at Uggy then David (I slag him enough in person Wink )

uggyy
18 Jun 2009 - 4:13 PM

Hmm why did I have to get Paul's Smile

I think Paul's work is solid, his light techniques and model shoots are all spot on. I really like some of his wedding shots and his shoot with the lass and the violin is 1st class. Paul's work looks to me to be very sell-able to his customers, which I expect is his priority in most cases.

His mono work again is solid and good impact with his abstract type water scenes.

As Pauls obviously more into studio work I think some group work or more variety in the poses. Yet saying that he has shown some great eye work on his partial nude poses, so I think I should just move on to the next section...

I dont think Im anywhere near Pauls level studio wise for lighting.. I do think though that clever use of some filters and PS work might lift his photos up a notch or two and improve the impact. I would love to see Paul push some of his photos and really bump em UP, if that makes sense. Again though, his work is solid and cant be faulted....

More landscapes so I can crit it proper lol

Horse

All in all, I like your work and think you know where your going... and enjoying the journey getting there.

Tommy

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.