Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

CA Mode in Rebel T2i

Sharkas e2
4 11
18 Jan 2011 2:41PM
1st question .. in this mode when i make the background sharp .. it became blurred , i tried it with Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 ii , so it is refered to the lens or what ??

2nd question .. if i want to shoot a moving subject with the Basic Zone .. Sports mode is good enough ?? , because am still in mess with the Creative Zone ..

Thanks Alot ..

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2011 3:21PM
Can you please clarify what you mean by CA mode? The modes are set by the rotating button on the top A-Dep, M, AV, TV...... and depending on what that dial is set to the camera behaves differently.

Are you talking about the autofocus settings. In which case it probably means continuous focusing mode. In that case the camera will try and keep the focus tracked on a moving subject. But beware you need to select your focus points with care.If you select all focus points then it will focus on the focus point that can see a contrast edge closest to the camera.

So suppose you have all focus points active and a person 1 meter from the camera with one of the AF points pointing at them and some hills in the distance. The camera will focus on the person. And if you half press the shutter down and they move the focus will follow them.

If you want a lot more of the image in focus then you need to control the aperture of the lens and a bigger f number will result in more being in focus. In that case I recommend switching to Av mode.

For sports I do not find the sports mode good. I would suggest selecting a single AF point, putting the camera in Av mode, run the lens as wide open as it goes (but with your lens perhaps f4) in continuous focusing and set the ISO level to give a good shutter speed.

But have a read of your camera manual it describes all of the above and will contain specific to your camera information I do not know.
Sabreur e2
9 767 England
18 Jan 2011 5:48PM
CA mode is

Quote:Creative Auto

Exposure is set using two sliders - one representing depth-of-field, the other representing brightness, essentially sticking a 'results-orientated' face onto the aperture-priority mode.

1. There is a limit to how sharp the background can be made, depending on the amount of light, ISO, camera to subject distance etc. It could be that you were trying something that was not possible in the circumstances.

2. Sport mode will bias the camera towards a faster shuter speed, so it should be better at at freezing a moving subject.
21 Jan 2011 1:33PM
The lens used will also affect the amount in focus. Theres a lot of factors that come into play that affect depth of field.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.