Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cairo

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Paul65
    Paul65  6258 forum posts England
    18 Mar 2009 - 8:30 PM

I'm off to Cairo in a couple of weeks for a bit of warm weather. Our hotel is 5 minutes from the Giza Pyramids so plenty of opportunities for some shots there.

Has anyone been recently who could give me some pointers of what else to shoot. Also, is it safe to walk around the centre of Cairo with my kit.

Thanks
    Paul

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Mar 2009 - 8:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2009 - 8:41 PM

I was there recently with my wife at a conference.
    We walked/taxied around by ourselves without any problems.
    Apart from the pyramids, there's some good opportunities for night /evening shots along the Nile, obviously the pyramids, good street shots near the Al Khalili market (which is an essential tourist visit anyway).

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    BOB S
    BOB S  122622 forum posts
    18 Mar 2009 - 8:53 PM

I stayed at the Mina House hotel at Giza, right by the pyramids on a business trip a few years ago and to be honest wild horses would not drag me back. The hotel was an oasis amid a sea of detritus but it was good to draw back the bedroom curtains to be confronted by the pyramids.

Tip 1 - follow all the rules on what to eat and what not to eat.
    Tip 2 - follow all the rules on what to eat and what not to eat.

BOB

Paul65
    18 Mar 2009 - 8:58 PM

Stopping at the same hotel Bob!

Sounds like you had a bad time with the food. God hope it wasn't the hotel's............?

daviewat
    daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
    18 Mar 2009 - 8:59 PM

And watch the food Smile he he just backing up bobs statement there, 3 days getting aquainted with egyptian loos is not the best thing in the world to have to experience :-(

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2009 - 9:39 PM

Quote: Tip 1 - follow all the rules on what to eat and what not to eat

Eating (for people from Europe etc) in any third world country is just common sense. Keep off salads, don't have anything from a street stall no matter how unbelievably delicious it looks/smells, make sure meat is cooked and hot, use bottled water even for cleaning your teeth.

Last Modified By stevie at 18 Mar 2009 - 9:40 PM
    BOB S
    BOB S  122622 forum posts
    19 Mar 2009 - 11:56 PM

Quote: God hope it wasn't the hotel's............?

The only thing we had outside the hotel was alcohol (no ice either) and I got a bug that actually took me about 3 years to fully recover my constitution.

Quote: Eating (for people from Europe etc) in any third world country is just common sense. Keep off salads, don't have anything from a street stall no matter how unbelievably delicious it looks/smells, make sure meat is cooked and hot, use bottled water even for cleaning your teeth.

If only it was that simple !

BOB

Last Modified By BOB S at 19 Mar 2009 - 11:59 PM
    Paul65
    20 Mar 2009 - 9:08 PM

Right thanks guys, that's sorted the food out.................now, what about the photography in Cairo.........?

daviewat
    daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
    20 Mar 2009 - 9:34 PM

Cant honestly remember in Cairo itself, massivley noisy and always seems to be rushing about everywhere around you :-( in the museam thats a big no no for sure. Also a lot of other sights in Egypt ie valley of kings etc they want money for allowing you to photograph, backshee as it were and no photography in tombs as well. I would be wary of carrying around lots of pricey kit.

As for the Pyramids and Sphinx anything goes really, getting a shot withouts without crowds can prove tricky, even if you can see them from your r oom window !!!! But well worth just moochinmg about all day from sunrise to sunset Smile water by the bucketload as well will be needed.

Last Modified By daviewat at 20 Mar 2009 - 9:35 PM
    Briwooly
    Briwooly  8452 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2009 - 9:50 PM

Long time since I was there you had to pay to take your camera into the museum and there was a a no flash rule. Pyramids and the sphinx were great but people all over the place and got to admit Cairo its self always remained me of a place that had just been bombed

Brian......................................

martinproe
    20 Mar 2009 - 10:01 PM

Careful at all of the sites. The locals recommend a spot to take shots from, then try to charge you for thier help. Also, if they offer you a camel for a certain price, they also charge to you get off it!. Don't pay to use the airport toilets either, they try it on all ways.

Hanners
    Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2009 - 10:36 PM

It's some six years since I was last there, I would be very careful, on the whole they are lovely people, but as in any walk of life there are some wrong 'uns, just have your wits about you and enjoy yourself Smile

Paul65
    21 Mar 2009 - 5:33 PM

Quote: Cairo its self always remained me of a place that had just been bombed

Sounds a bit like Luxor. That reminded me of Beruit!
    Thanks for all your comments. I will enjoy myself and will post anything that is half decent when I get back.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.