Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Calendar images, what should i charge?

28 Nov 2012 1:04PM
I approached a few calendar companies in the hope that they may like to use my work, out of 5 emails one company has shown interest but they are asking me what i charge. I know this is a reputable company so no worries there but basically i dont want to underprice myself,so any advice would be apreciated. thanks in advance Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett e2
4 372 England
28 Nov 2012 3:28PM
Perhaps you should have thought about pricing before making the enquiries, it depends on what you are aiming for, one off sale or long term business.
My best advice is to speak, either by phone or best face to face to a photo editer, as you say it's a reputable company as such should offer advice on what they're prepared to pay.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2012 3:59PM
From a point of no experience in this area I'd say the size of the print run and the cost of the calender would be factors you might consider when pricing the 1 image or 12 images involved?

Also whether you name/brand will help sell the calender - "Award winning photographer" etc.

At the very least you should look to recover the time and costs spent getting and marketing all the shots you are submitting.

Good Luck, i'd be interested to hear the settlement you agree upon.
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
28 Nov 2012 6:05PM
If it's for advent calenders, at least one chocolate for each photo used!Tongue
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
29 Nov 2012 10:28AM

Quote:If it's for advent calenders, at least one chocolate for each photo used!Tongue

Love it.

Grin

But seriously, have a look at an online image library such as Alamy for some images similar to the ones you are hoping to sell. What are they charging for a royalty-free image the size that would be required for a calendar? That's your guideline as that is what your prospective client could buy similar images for online. You may be shocked by how little they can buy images for.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
29 Nov 2012 10:36AM
Conversely, you maybe shocked at how high the price may be - Alamy is rather amusing... some truly awful images on there for 500.... I use it quite a bit to get a "market rate" for stuff. I've no idea how much to charge for a brochure shot... so use alamy for that.
damienvc e2
3 28 2 Belgium
30 Nov 2012 10:41AM
I have quite a few images with a (UK) calendar company and I get around 50 quid (plus 4 free calendars) for each shot used (it's more for the cover but I've not yet had one). I'm not making a living from it though - only had a few used. If I can find the invoice I'll post the name of the company.
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2012 11:37AM
All of the calendar companies I have dealt with have their own list of rates - for how much they pay for images used for different sized calendars, if it's a cover image etc.

I would go back to the company and ask then what their regular rates are.
Chris_H e2
11 1.5k 1
30 Nov 2012 11:48AM
The rates do vary quite a bit, I supply quite a lot of different companies each year and the range I get is about 55 to 180 mark. Is your client for retail or corporate calendars? This can also affect the price. Do they require exclusive calendar use or are you free to offer them to other companies too? If it's exclusive obviously the price is higher.

Alamy's rates seem to be getting lower and lower and you have to take them with a pinch of salt. I recently had an image sell for around $30 for calendar use. Where as another one with lower print levels recently sold for $200.

All the main companies usually have set standard rates, so the fact they are asking you it probably means they are hoping you might say less than their standard rate and save a bit of money.

To give you an idea of the average most companies seem to pay around the 80 - 120 mark.

I hope this helps.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.