Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Calibrate my monitor?

brianquinn 7 243 1 United Kingdom
30 Jan 2009 7:47PM
Printing out shots is always a bit of a surprise for me. Colours are always out and I need to know how to calibrate my monitor. I've got an Asus laptop running Vista and can't quite find the way.
Dare say the Brother MFC 640 all in one printer isn't helping either!
Anybody out there?
Ta
Brian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
30 Jan 2009 7:54PM
I use a spyder 2 express seems to work fine. Don't know about printers I don't own one. But the company I use to print seem happy.
Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
30 Jan 2009 7:56PM
First off unless you have a top end LCD screen, moniter calibration methods will not be perfect. It will most certainly be a massive improvement with colours and brightness, but you need to keep an eye on your screen viewing angle (since you wil note that changing the angle of your view to the screen with change the appearance of images on the screen).

There are some online moniter calibration tools which are free, but they are not really worth using because they rely on your subjective view of the scree, and your eyesight is likly to have adapted to ignoring colour casts on the screen.
The best way to calibrate a moniter is with a moniter calibration tool, like a Spyder moniter calibrater.
That will connect onto your computer and read off the light comming from the screen and then calibrate it - thus its not subjective like your eyesight is. It's well worth investing in for printing images.

The only thing to note is that LCDs will often have a brightness control, however in most cases its not a brightness control but a backlight control - this is important when (if) you come to use a moniter calibration tool like a spyder as it affects what calibration mode you go through
30 Jan 2009 8:00PM

Quote:however in most cases its not a brightness control but a backlight control - this is important when (if) you come to use a moniter calibration tool like a spyder as it affects what calibration mode you go through

That's interesting, I use a MAC Powerbook so I guess that is backlite, I think I have the calibration set for brightness. Thanks I will check it next time.
30 Jan 2009 8:04PM
I found when I did my calibration I could not set the brightness control to the value that the spyder wanted it set to no matter what I tried - it was only when I changed the settings to a backlight that I was able to set the settings the calibrater wanted - its definatly something obscure (its a pain that the spyders - at least - come with no manual and even on their website their general view is that if you don't know what the advanced featuers are and hot to control them then they can't be bother to teach you)
30 Jan 2009 8:06PM
It has made a big difference to my pictures though people on epz used to say they were too dark and they never printed well but they seem fine now.
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
30 Jan 2009 8:36PM

Quote:I've got an Asus laptop running Vista

Bare in mind that any calibration software will load a monitor profile before the graphic driver asks Vista for a profile....!

So what happens is that Vista obliges, But loads one of it's generic monitor profiles, Thus removing the calibrated profile loaded by the calibration software........!

Everyone and his dog knows about this, The software people, Microsoft, But has anything been done as yet....Not as far as I know.

Ok! So how to deal with this issue, One way is to wait 2 or 3 minutes until Vista has changed to profile, Then use your calibration software to switch it back manually.

Or stop the graphic card from calling for a profile from Vista ( favourite option ) Instuction on how to do this are dependant on your graphic chip/board.....If it's Nvidia it's fairly easy....!

Or you could load a " Start-Up " delay program, With this software you can decide what starts up, And when it start, Therefore you can make your calibration software start 3/4/5 minutes after Vista has fully booted...!

And lets face it, The screen needs a little time to warm up, Before colour acuraccy can be at it's best....!

Here is a link to a software designed just for that purpose it's called " Start-Up Delayer " oddly enough ........Smile
30 Jan 2009 8:59PM
I though that spyder had released a patch for hte vista thing - certainly my spyder 3 pro/elite (its one of the two i forget which) loads its profile correctly without the need for fiddling
cassiecat 6 39 46 England
7 Feb 2010 12:46PM
i'm trying to calibrate my HP2475W monitor using spyder 3 elite. my computer runs vista.i did remove the adobe gamma as instructed.
to me the red and yellows look too bright, intially after calibrating it seemed ok, but seems to have reverted. i looked at the link for start-up delay, loks like alot of options and i think getting into complicated terriority as i know nothing about computers, and not even sure if that is my problem.
can anyone help me. lesley Smile
justin c 10 4.5k 36 England
7 Feb 2010 4:01PM

Quote:I'm trying to calibrate my HP2475W monitor using spyder 3 elite. my computer runs vista.i did remove the adobe gamma as instructed.
to me the red and yellows look too bright, intially after calibrating it seemed ok, but seems to have reverted. i looked at the link for start-up delay, loks like alot of options and i think getting into complicated terriority as i know nothing about computers, and not even sure if that is my problem.
can anyone help me.

When you say the red and yellows look too bright. Are you refering to web images? If so, the problem is likely to be using your wide-gamut monitor and a non-colour managed browser, such as Internet Explorer. Colours will look noticably over-saturated, especially reds.
The solution is to use Firefox for web browsing.
7 Feb 2010 4:01PM
It should load the profile on startup (the elite 3 is I belive fully patched to work with vista). The screen will drift over time which is why you have to recalibrate every 2 weeks or so just to retain the correct colour calibration,
Also ones eyes get very used to the screens view so colours can look very odd after you run the calibration tool

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.