Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Calling all iMac fans (and anyone who isn't)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
born2bongo
born2bongo e2 Member 529 forum postsborn2bongo vcard England
16 Dec 2010 - 1:51 PM

The OH wants a new computer. We both love the look of the iMac and it has to occupy a prominent position, so appearance is important to us.

After much research I decided not to buy Apple direct, online, because I thought we'd both benefit from local support. I went to my local supplier yesterday with an order not far short of 3k and they couldn't take it because the internet was down. They called me back today and won't proceed with the purchase unless I come into the shop. I did. Yesterday. It was my last opportunity this year. They are not moved by the potential loss of 3k.

To be fair, it is not the machine but the interest free credit deal that is the sticking point, and there are issues around money laundering that are out of their control. However, I was willing to put a deposit down today, to secure the deal at pre-VAT price rises and go into the shop after my Xmas holiday. They won't do the deal. Unbelievably, the didn't appear to know VAT was going up, which is why I want to close the deal before the holiday.

OK, so I have a possible window for purchase next Tuesday, but after that I reckon my next option is to wait till Boxing Day and buy online, from France. No credit deal but hopefully a sale price.

What I'm really asking is whether I should bother with Apple at all. I avoided them like the plague until I got my iPhone, and I won't be upgrading to the iPhone4. Apple always leaves you wanting and I don't like being manipulated. The market for Windows pcs is properly competitive, so I should be able to get better service. We're long time windows users anyway.

What do folks think? Is the iMac to die for? Can I live without iPhoto? Can the OH live without Final Cut Express? Can we find a screen as gorgeous as the iMac and just hide the techno-junk? I'm using Photoshop and Lightroom atm and 'im indoors hasn't settled on a preferred tool for his nascent movie 'career'.

All opinions and recommendations gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Dec 2010 - 1:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bangalicious
16 Dec 2010 - 1:58 PM

If I could afford the iMac, I would buy it in a flash Grin Have a few friends who use Apple 'puter products day in day out and they dont have a bad word to say about them.

My 2p worth.

Anil. Grin

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2010 - 1:59 PM

Quote: Can we find a screen as gorgeous as the iMac and just hide the techno-junk?

maybe it's just me, nut I've never really seen whats so great about the iMac scrrens. They don't look much different to any other screen AFAICS. But if you want to have something in the middle of your front room that makes a statement.... and you want that statement to be "I've got more money than sense", the the imac is ideal for the job. it will go nice with a Bang and Olfson stereo Wink

Quote: The market for Windows pcs is properly competitive, so I should be able to get better service

Not sure about that - one thing Apple are pretty good at is service. Obviously it helps i you can get to a local Apple store.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 16 Dec 2010 - 2:01 PM
Geoffphoto
16 Dec 2010 - 2:05 PM

Quote: I've never really seen whats so great about the iMac scrrens

Never used one then !!!!!!!!

Jestertheclown
16 Dec 2010 - 2:09 PM

Quote: Never used one then !!!!!!!!

I have and . . .

Quote: I've never really seen whats so great about the iMac scrrens.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2010 - 2:10 PM

Quote: I've never really seen whats so great about the iMac scrrens

Never used one then !!!!!!!!

Not the latest iMacs no, used to have a mac but got rid of it as it seemed more hassle then it was worth. What's so wonderful about their tellies compared to any other telly then ?

Geoffphoto
16 Dec 2010 - 2:16 PM

I'm not going to get into an argument about Mac's v PC as I know sod all about computers, I'm a photographer after all, but I've used a Mac for the last 15-16 years and it just does the job for me ( just like a Nikon !!!!! Smile )

Jestertheclown
16 Dec 2010 - 2:35 PM

Quote: appearance is important to us.

That's not really a sensible reason to be choosing one computer over another.
You seem to be splashing out a lot of money purely because you value form over function. That's not to say that Macs don't function well, it's just that if function was your prime motive for buying, you'd easily find something that will work just as well for a lot less. Just stick it in a scruffy corner somewhere, like I do with mine! Which incidentally, didn't cost anywhere near three grand and does everything I need it to.

MrGoatsmilk
16 Dec 2010 - 2:41 PM

Quote: .... and you want that statement to be "I've got more money than sense", the the imac is ideal for the job. it will go nice with a Bang and Olfson stereo Wink

I really want a LIKE button for this! SmileSmileSmile

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2010 - 3:00 PM

Quote: I've never really seen whats so great about the iMac screens

FACT, There is nothing special about them.....!

Second Fact, Apple do not make the screen panels, The panel/technology is made for them by the likes of " Samsung " or " LG " ...!! Yes! The very same companies who make the very same panels found in a large proportion of the display/monitors, All sporting different name badges/logos all around the planet.....!!!!!!!

Third Fact, All the components you will find in any Apple computer are made for them by " Third Party " manufacturers, CPU's made by " Intel " Hard Drives made by " Western Digital " Memory made by " Samsung " ( and many other brands ) Yes folks the actual hardware is made by the very same companies who make the parts for " Windows " based computers.....Grin

The only real difference is the boxes that house the parts, Yes! The Apple items look cool, Why not.....Smile They are mostly made of shiny plastics or the posher version of plastics known as acrylics, Oh! The other difference is the operating system, Plus the fact that they try and intimidate you into using " Mac Only " software/hardware products.

Who was it that blamed " Adobes Flash Player " for crashing their systems, Yes it was Apple, Worse it was Mr Jobs himself you proclaimed that fact to a live audience of his party faithfull......Sad

Personally I don't care what anyone else uses for a computer, A camera, A car, I buy and use " Whatever " product to perform the tasks that I alone demand from it, So long as it does what its supposed to when asked, The badge, The colour, The brand makes absolutely no difference what so ever......Grin

The whole this is better than that scene is a mugs game, Where the old saying " More Money Than Sense " applies by the truck loads....!

If you'll feel better by giving Apple 3 grand for a box of tricks thats no different to one costing half as much, Go for it.......Smile

If you just want a very powerful computer that will run rings around an iMac, Check out the " DELL " Precision range, If you can afford them....Grin

Bottom line its your money, Spend it where you like, On what you like, Hell! You can't take it with you......Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 16 Dec 2010 - 3:03 PM
Jestertheclown
16 Dec 2010 - 3:15 PM

Quote: Check out the " DELL " Precision range,

. . . funnilly enough, the thing I've got stuck in a scruffy corner's a Dell.
Not from the Precision range admittedly but a Dell nonetheless.
And it flies.

born2bongo
16 Dec 2010 - 3:15 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Pretty much as polarised as I was expecting. LOL.

First let me say the figure I quoted included some storage media and software as well as the iMac itself. Neither am I paying that kind of money for the looks, but if there is only 100 or so in it, then its worth it.

The number 1 priority for me is to get a monitor that is fit for developing photos. The Apple imac offers that. It seems to me that an IPS monitor would be fairly dear, though I have been tempted. Having bought my monitor I then need the remaining hardware and software, and I wonder if I will really end up paying that much less.

So if you're not using an iMac monitor, what floats your boat for photo development? If you are using iPhoto, is that all you are using or is it just part of your toolkit?

It's a big investment for us and one that needs to last us at least as long as our current kit (10 years), so I really appreciate the debate

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  31118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2010 - 3:17 PM

Quote: OK, so I have a possible window for purchase next Tuesday, but after that I reckon my next option is to wait till Boxing Day and buy online, from France.

You don't say who you may buy from in France but would you be getting an AZERTY keyboard or a QWERTY one? It might be worth checking it out. You don't want to spend 3K and then have to put stickers over the keys (after having changed the language settings).

lobsterboy
16 Dec 2010 - 3:33 PM

Quote: It's a big investment for us and one that needs to last us at least as long as our current kit (10 years), so I really appreciate the debate

Well an imac is not going to be fashionable in 10years..it will look SO retro darling Wink
Seriously then I would avoid the all-in-one units as they are going to be a pain/impossible upgrade any compoments if you need to in future.

born2bongo
16 Dec 2010 - 4:00 PM

Quote: Seriously then I would avoid the all-in-one units as they are going to be a pain/impossible upgrade any compoments if you need to in future.

Yes. Thought about that. It's possible to update some of the stuff but 10 years is a long time in IT

Quote: You don't say who you may buy from in France but would you be getting an AZERTY keyboard or a QWERTY one? It might be worth checking it out. You don't want to spend 3K and then have to put stickers over the keys (after having changed the language settings).

I would be buying from Apple UK online, it's just I will be in France which is why I can't get to the darn shop.

If we don't go for Apple we'll be waiting to the new super-speedy Bios is available on pretty much anything we might want buy. So I guess we could buy an IPS monitor but not sure if the aging pc could cope with it

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.