Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Calling all XPan users

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AlanTW
    AlanTW  11342 forum posts
    9 Mar 2006 - 8:38 AM

Im considering buying an Xpan and would be interested to know if anybody has used a Nikon Coolscan 4000 to scan the 24x65mm transparencies.

To be really cheeky, if any of you could send me an unwanted transparency or negative so I could have a play, I would be extremely grateful (and would click every photo you ever posted on ePZ!)

Alan

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Mar 2006 - 8:38 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Camairish
    Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
    9 Mar 2006 - 11:27 AM

Hi Alan - I send mine to Blueskyimages Ltd where I get 110Mb TIFFS done - superb quality. Simon Butterworth, SheilaC & David Entrican all use XPans and post excellent landscapes regularly so why not send them a PM to see what they do. By all means if you need a couple of Velvia XPan transparencies to practice with just PM your address & I'll post some - they'll be poorly exposed duds but should give you something to work with.

Regards

Ian.

tim franklin
    9 Mar 2006 - 1:30 PM

Blueskyimages site, just for info's sake.

Smile

AlanTW
    9 Mar 2006 - 1:57 PM

Thanks Ian & Tim
    PM on its way Ian

Alan

davidentrican
    10 Mar 2006 - 1:21 AM

Hi Alan,

Firstly I would run a mile from trying to scan on your Nikon! I've tried and tried and tried this and am now nearly bald after tearing my hair out so much! I've found it to be a nightmare to match the colours and make a seemless join. To be honest I have had some success, usually with shots which don't have a lot of sky which can highlight a not 100% perfect join.

I have not used blueskyimages for Xpan, but have had a scan of my 6x17cm panoramics by them, and it was an excellent scan and a very efficient service. For my Xpans, I've been sending them to R+K photographic, as they are cheaper. The quality is good, but watch out for occasional Newton rings on the final scan (they will rescan without question if you get any) and I've found the very edge of the scan can be a touch soft. Scans are 2.25 though (for 110Mb) and Bluesky max res. is 7.50, so take your choice. I print my R+K scanned shots out upto 40x15" and they look great and Alamy also have no problem with them.

Hope this helps, Dave

ps. If you still need any Xpans to practise on I have a load Smile Let me know.

AlanTW
    10 Mar 2006 - 4:44 AM

Thanks Dave, as I have very little hair, i'll probably play around with the Coolscan 'till I run out of patience!

I've bookmarked R+K Photographic for future use. If you could alsdo send me a couple of surplus XPan transparencies I would be very grateful (I'll send you a PM with my address)

Alan

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.