Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Cambridge - Ban on Photography in new shopping centre

roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
8 Aug 2010 10:52AM

Quote:Whilst it is private property and they have every right to ban whatever they like, maybe there should be a principle that if you allow free and unchecked access to the public then normal civil liberties must apply.

Yes an excellent point, is the question really, Is taking photographs really one of our civil liberties?

On the face of it it would seem that yes it is one of our liberties….but then when does it cross the line into the Data capture & storage of information on others, perhaps in the face of their civil liberty!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 238
8 Aug 2010 1:02PM
People have civil liberties?

Thats nice
User_Removed 4 238
8 Aug 2010 2:03PM
You want to obey the rules? Fine, don't take pictures.

You don't want to obey the rules? Fine, take pictures.

You do what you want to do and I'll do the same Smile
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
8 Aug 2010 6:51PM
I was wondering how they would feel if someone was sat in the shopping centre drawing what they saw. Would this be banned too? If I sat in a cafe and started drawing the other people in there would that be the same as taking their photo?

Edit, User_Removed is a great user name!
User_Removed 11 455 13 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2010 7:13PM

Quote:I was wondering how they would feel if someone was sat in the shopping centre drawing what they saw.

I had the same thought as this - what is it about photography that concerns people?
BigRick e2
9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2010 10:32PM

Quote:I was wondering how they would feel if someone was sat in the shopping centre drawing what they saw. Would this be banned too? If I sat in a cafe and started drawing the other people in there would that be the same as taking their photo?

Edit, User_Removed is a great user name!

i was thinking that.... lol.... i guess they annoyed someone then.... Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
9 Aug 2010 11:52AM
very few shooping centres I've been to allow cameras

if you've got a tripod, you're moved on within seconds

they're not really that interesting anyway so I don't lose sleep over it !
User_Removed 11 455 13 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2010 12:04PM

Quote:they're not really that interesting anyway so I don't lose sleep over it !

That is how I tend to feel, as I've never really wanted to photograph in one, but there are places where if you want to practice street photography you will be limited as to where you can go (Milton Keynes for instance - I don't know whether it's allowed there or not).

If it is really what you want to do, however, a lot of these places do seem willing to give permission if asked.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
9 Aug 2010 12:16PM
In leeds...

The Light - moved on within seconds of taking a shot
Victoria Quarter - don't like you using tripods, ok hand holding but will ask about being professional
Headrow - never tried
St. John's Centre - never tried
Merrion - done some candids with no hassle
Centre where Boots is - got followed by a security guard and told not to take photos again, I'd just done some shots on the escalators, doing long exposures whilst moving...

Think that's it

Use the streets and no one can stop you.

Though...

Milennium Square is not "public space" and they can stop you there - they usually do when the ice ring is there.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
9 Aug 2010 12:32PM
Strangely enough, We don't allow customers to take pictures in our studio!

People sometimes want to snap or video the sales slide-show.
collywobles e2
10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2010 4:57PM

Quote:You want to obey the rules? Fine, don't take pictures.

You don't want to obey the rules? Fine, take pictures.

You do what you want to do and I'll do the same Smile

My original point!
eric6 e2
6 21 Greece
24 Aug 2010 10:49AM
This appears against all the rules, the government is against sterotyping. Admitidley it is private property.Smile
billip e2
10 388 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2010 5:20PM
How neatly this discussion sums up the true nature of the world we live in, when you and I can't take a photo of our local shops without wondering if we're going to be "moved on", yet the multinational Google can send a van down my, and your, street any time of day or night with a camera on the roof taking 360 degree photographs of everything they see there, publish them online and there is nothing we can do about it.
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
20 Sep 2010 7:36PM

Quote:yet the multinational Google can send a van down my, and your, street any time of day or night with a camera on the roof taking 360 degree photographs of everything they see there, publish them online and there is nothing we can do about it.

Sorry but that is nonsense, you can happily take the same shots from the same public roads as Google have done, and Google have the same restrictions in taking pics on private property as you do.
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2010 8:25PM
There are indeed blank spaces in Google street view where they couldn't go any further, although I have taken my own photos in some of the blank areas I know.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.