Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

camera bag.....???

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

hornchurch
13 Feb 2012 - 6:31 PM

Hi I need some advice please... I have a canon 60d and 17-40l lense, a small case was fine, i just added a 70-200 f4 L lense the non Is version, So i need to carry the camera with the 17-40 attached and have room for the 70-200.... apart from that not much else a cable release and a lense cloth is all i need... I have looked at the lowepro 180 which is about £45 does anyone have this bag or even the equipment I have and have a different bag.... Looking at any bag including the lowepro can the velcro scratch the camera or lense...??? any help would be great Thanks David

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Feb 2012 - 6:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2012 - 6:38 PM

Some nice alternatives to the Lowepro 180 Here

Ade

mikehit
mikehit  46163 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2012 - 6:42 PM

I like to go light with my Canon 30D or &D plus 1-55 and 70-200 f4L IS plus very few accessories, so it is about the same size as your kit. I have a larger Crumpler (amongst others) and like the shoulder bag for ease of access, especially in busy streets where getting at a rucsac is more difficult. It sits well on the shoulder (the padded wrap is very comfortable) and I chose this over the Lowe because its profile against the body is a bit shallower. The one thing against the Crumpler IMO is the low number of pockets to hold different pieces (cable release, memory cards, cloth, lens blower, pen, pad etc) but I can live with that.

Velcro should not damage the body or the lens, but I would not push the lens against it too often just out of preference. I would be susprised if velcro was in a position to contact the lens anyway

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2012 - 7:42 PM

Quote: Looking at any bag including the lowepro can the velcro scratch the camera or lense...???

Not if you leave a lens cap on it can't Wink

Last Modified By justin c at 13 Feb 2012 - 7:45 PM
viewsouth
viewsouth  2 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2012 - 11:38 PM

Hi David,
It may be a bit bigger than what you are after, but I have a similar setup to you: 40d, 17-40 and 70-200 f4L and I have just got a Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW. Brilliant bag, really comfortable and I have used it mountain biking with a tripod strapped to the side. The gear fits in to the padded compartment snugly and is easy to get at without taking the bag off both shoulders. I was in Times Square New York this morning (blooming chilly!) using it and it worked a treat.

Mike

779HOB
779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Feb 2012 - 6:57 AM

My favourite bag is my Domke (canít remember if itís the F1 or F2, the smaller one I think) not that cheap at £99 from Hong Kong but lovely to use. Yesterday I was given a Nikon Crumpler backpack and I have to say itís not massive but very well designed and comfy. Both bags hold two bodies and 2 big lenses and 2 smaller ones.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110166 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2012 - 7:19 AM

I've used the Lowpro 180 for a good many years and it happily carries my 60D with 17-55 attached and the canon 70-300LIS sat alongside vertically. There is still room for a load of CF cards + 3 spare batteries and other essential odds and sods in the various pockets
No sign of any scratches from the velcro and despite having a very hard life its showing no signs of wear

Last Modified By brian1208 at 14 Feb 2012 - 7:20 AM
hornchurch
14 Feb 2012 - 9:30 AM

Thanks For all the Answers Everyone Best wishes from David

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53534 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2012 - 2:13 PM

I now have 6 camera bags (as i've grown kit) and each has a purpose - mostly they are lowpro as good value in my opinion.

One you may like is the Nova 170 AW - i often use mine inside a regular rucksack to make it less obvious.
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nova-170%20AW,2104.htm

For longer trips with more kit i use a flipside 300.

danwigan
danwigan  4 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2012 - 3:23 PM

As you get more and more kit, your needs for a camera bag change. I have recently got hold of the new Manhattan Portage "shutterbug" bag which, although not cheap is a brilliant bag and has lots of compartments / removeable pads etc. It's a really high quality bag and holds all my Canon kit snugly. I got it direct from their website http://www.manhattanportage.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/shutterbug-messenger-...

keith selmes
2 Jun 2012 - 4:48 PM

I like Domke, they're tough and practical.
Mine is an F4. Room for an SLR with lens, plus two more lenses in the padded compartments inside, then accessories as needed in external pockets.

I bought mine used on ebay. I see the new price there is £130 today. I'm sure I didn't pay half that, in fact nowhere near.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2012 - 5:03 PM

Camera bags have been the aspect of photographic kit I've found the most frustrating over the years! Grin

I've reluctantly concluded that no one bag is suitable for all occasions. I currently have two - Vanguard B11N 37 and Lowepro ILC Classic 100. The Vanguard takes the stills kit (camera, 3 lenses, flash etc); there is also enough space to carry non-photograpic items. The Lowepro 100, originally bought for my previous camera (Olympus Pen) is now used for the additional video kit... mics, leads, grips, table tripod etc.

These two bags will be joined shortly by the Lowepro ILC Classic 50 for when I just want to take the camera and one or two lenses; this bag will also go into an ordinary shoulder bag if I want to carry a few other things.

I particularly like the Vanguard as it doesn't scream "there's a camera in this" ! Wink

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2012 - 5:40 PM

No one for all solution for me either. A Lowepro all weather rucksack, for when I want to take a lot of stuff, and a range of smaller on the shoulder ones, bought over the years, depending on what I am likely to use on a given day. My smallest kit (which is a micro 2/3 with pancake type lens) will actually go in a bag in my walking backpack, which is handy, but this would not be practical with your kit. I fell out of love with the Lowepro, then in love again - wouldn't want to do a 10 mile hike with it, but did do several miles round Lindisfarne with it holding a Nikon D300 and 2 lenses including a zoom and other stuff too. And it has room in the top for your jumper or whatever. And I was carrying my tripod. So I guess it is fairly practical.

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2012 - 11:41 PM

One thing I've always struggled to find is a good true all day outdoors bag (I mean one that not only carries the camera, couple of lenses and tripod but also enough stuff to keep you going for 12-16 hours out in the wilds - e.g. several layers of extra clothing, compact stove, drinks, food, waterproofs, torch, possibly bivvy bag).

In winter in particular there's a big difference between clothing needed for a few degrees above zero at mid day, actively climbing with a load of kit, through to standing around for an hour shooting long exposure moonlit landscapes at -10C later. I generally manage it by putting up with being over-warm at the warmest points and having a load of stuff strapped round the outside of the bag, which works but isn't the most comfortable or convenient.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be interested.

keith selmes
3 Jun 2012 - 8:00 AM

I don't think I've had that extreme of temperature, but have used various equipment in wild country overnight.

I would normally put slr lenses and accessories in belt pouches and normal overnght kit in a light rucksack.
My normal daysac sits a little high on my waist allowing for cheap but solid tool belt just below.
Camera and tripod then sling. If the camera needs to go out of the way, it can go either in a large pouch or else pack in the rucksac.
There are purpose built SLR belt pouches, but also a modern PVC respirator bag willl take some foam padding and a DSLR, probably with lens fitted.
One reason for doing it this way is to have the weight on the hips rather than the back, and the other is to have everything to hand, and not packed away somewhere.

I have used a larger pack, 60l or 65l, which has a good waist band, two internal compartments and large pockets.
This allowed putting a camera bag in one half and overnight kit elsewhere. Tripod slung just the same, although I think some tripods would attach to the pack, which has axe or pole loops. I did that primarily for some LF kit which is quite heavy, but fits in a reasonable size bag, and is difficult to put in pouches.

I normally like a tripod with fewest leg sections, but I imagine multi section types that pack short would attach to the bag alright, and save some hassle.
If camer gear were required for ad hoc snaps en route, I would think of attaching pouches to the waistband, but I never got around to that.

As I used the large pack for 5 days out with a tent, I would think it would take overnight kit for -10 plus the slr kit.
I've never considered a purpose built camera backpack, they don't look suitable for anything but carrying camera gear, and I already have good normal rucksacs.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.