Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera Backpack

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    breakawayfromme

Im looking to purchase one for my trip to the lake district in a month or so, can anyone recommend the best one to get that's not mega expensive.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Jul 2012 - 8:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
    franken e2 Member 113055 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2012 - 8:15 AM

Hi there, firstly, how much kit will you be taking as there are large backpacks and small backpacks.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
    27 Jul 2012 - 8:19 AM

You can start your search http://bagfinder.lowepro.com/lp/choose-profile

Last Modified By JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY at 27 Jul 2012 - 8:19 AM
    779HOB
    779HOB  21002 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Jul 2012 - 8:24 AM

As Franken asks what you are carrying will make a big difference - but I like the look of this one not bought one yet : http://www.kata-bags.com/bug-203-pl-for-pro-dslr-w-300mm-lens-attached-4-5-lenses

I do have a Tarmac Expedition 7x which is a big pack but the weather proofing is very good.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014037 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2012 - 8:29 AM

Quote: Im looking to purchase one for my trip to the lake district in a month or so,

Apart from your camera kit another thing to consider is how much stuff apart from camera gear you are planning to take with you.
    If you are walking in the Lakes you would normally take a day pack for a waterprrof. fleece, food, drink,etc. A lot of camera sacks only have room for camera gear and no space for your other stuff.

breakawayfromme

camera body and 2 lenses plus a few other essentials needed for walking all day

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014037 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2012 - 8:49 AM

Quote: Camera body and 2 lenses plus a few other essentials needed for walking all day

I have a fair few camera rucksacks & bags, yet for this situation I don't use any of them.
    Having the camera in the sack is a pain as it's never available when I want to take a shot, so I have to keep taking the sack off to get at stuff. That slows everything down and means I don't take a lot of shots as it's too annoying.

Instead I just use a good walking sack, with a Thinkank holster on the waist belt, so the camera is quick to get at & put away. The second lens just goes in the main sack wrapped in a novoflex wrap.

mikehit
    mikehit  46181 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2012 - 9:03 AM

|Such a simple question and so many options!

How far are you walking? If you are doing extended hikes uphill and down dale, I would suggest using a regular rucksack and protecting your gear - you can buy photo bag inserts for about 20 and upwards to keep the gear compartmentalised or thinks like the Domke wrap. Camera backpacks can be comfortable but not for extended strenuous walking because the the balance of the bag is not quite right.

If you are not walking far/strenuous, will it be a lot of walking round town? If so you may want to consider something like the LowePro Slingshot because taking a camera pack off your back in a busy street to get another lens can be awkward. The slinghsot aslo gives much more rapid access to the camera even out of town. Their comfort has also improved a fair bit in recent years. The Slinghot 200 is fine for me to hold my 7D+70-200 f4L plus a spare lens and things like spare batter, filters etc
    Alternative manufacturers like Tamrac make packs with a small compartment for the camera and another for things like alightweight waterproof and food.

For true backpacks the question is how much gear do you have? I got the LowePro Flipside 400 and it holds one heck of a lot of gear. A friend of mine is a professional wedding photographer and he has the Flipside 300 for all his gear (I just like overkill Smile ).

Do you want to take a tripod? A lot of tripod attachments are pretty flimsy - I prefer strapping the tripod to the side of the bag rather than the back. In my limited experience a tripod lashed to the back of the bag tends to sway around when you are scrambling over rocks and this can be really annouying.

dmball
    dmball  2 United Kingdom
    27 Jul 2012 - 11:53 AM

I use this everyday for my walk to work and at weekends for photography.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspensport-Camera-And-Laptop-Rucksack/dp/B003NWOTFY/ref=...

I usually carry the camera around neck rather than in the bag most of the time.

Works for me.

Take Care
    David

breakawayfromme
    27 Jul 2012 - 12:41 PM

To honest the camera wont even be in the bag that much as i like to keep hold of it, only really want something with room for other things and for the camera if i needed to put it away

YoBellzaa
    YoBellzaa ePHOTOzine Staff 7224 forum postsYoBellzaa vcard England
    27 Jul 2012 - 2:30 PM

You can check our reviews: http://www.ephotozine.com/reviews/bags--cases-and-straps-2

For a limited budget, I was impressed with this Dorr bag: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/dorr-slim-pack-pure-backpack-review-17978

FrogTastic
    29 Jul 2012 - 2:10 PM

DaKine make some very nice Camera backpacks. I like that fact they dont look like camera bags.

bainsybike
    29 Jul 2012 - 5:33 PM

I use a Lowepro Versapack 200AW. It will carry your camera plus a couple of lenses, and a reasonable amount of other stuff (waterproof, packed lunch, maps) as well. You can set it up so that the camera is accessible from the side of the pack, so you don't have to take the pack off when you want to take it out or put it away - you just slip out one arm and swivel it round to the front. I find it's almost as quick as a sling type bag, and much more comfortable to carry.

seahawk
    seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
    11 Aug 2012 - 12:41 PM

Try LowePro PhotoSport 200 - just been to Switzerland on walking holiday and used mine every day. Very comfortable, ventilated back that works, room in top for food, water, rolled up w'proof jacket (tightly rolled, mind), rain cover. Delighted with mine and thoroughly recommend it.

ElectricalImage

I use the Kata 3n1 33 for trips abroad and the 22 for a daypack at home. I've taken the 33 to China, Iceland and Europe this year, carrying a Canon body four lenses and a Lee filtering system. It's comfortable (I walked 15 miles one day last week in China), durable and gives you the option of wearing it as a slingpak (one strap) or rucksack (two straps). I've only ever worn it as a slingpak and find I can access the camera very quickly and easily.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.