Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Camera backpacks

seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 3:24PM
Hi all

Need a new backpack, having just sold my Naneu K4L, I need something lighter. Needs to be a rucksak with camera compartment rather than a full-on camera backpack.
The Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW would seem to be what I'm looking for but local shops don't have one in stock for me to check out.
Has anyone got one and could give me their opinion of it?
Thanks in advance.

Martin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
14 Jan 2012 4:32PM
I've just bought a Calumet large backpack as I needed a big sack for all my gear, however they do a small rucksack which might meet your needs and if the quality is anywhere near as good as the large one I've just bought you wouldn't be disapointed. Price wise they are extremely competitive as well and delivery took just two days and was free, look here for more details.

Calumet

Hope this helps, BTW they also had all the Lowerpro rucksacks in stock.....

Ade
SueEley e2
8 271 96 Wales
14 Jan 2012 5:40PM
F-stop are superb, but expensive.
CarolG e2
8 147 18 Greece
14 Jan 2012 5:40PM

Quote:I've just bought a Calumet large backpack as I needed a big sack for all my gear, however they do a small rucksack which might meet your needs and if the quality is anywhere near as good as the large one I've just bought you wouldn't be disapointed. Price wise they are extremely competitive as well and delivery took just two days and was free, look here for more details.

Calumet

Hope this helps, BTW they also had all the Lowerpro rucksacks in stock.....

Ade

Is there anything you don't have, Ade WinkWinkWink
I just have a pocket Grin
ginluvva e2
4 464 Scotland
14 Jan 2012 6:16PM

Quote:

Is there anything you don't have, Ade WinkWinkWink
I just have a pocket Grin

Must be a ruddy big pocket! TongueGrinGrin
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 6:31PM
Ade, thanks for the tip - looked at the Calumet but it's not what I'm looking for. I need a bag that's primarily a daypack with room for jacket, food, water etc in the top and a camera compartment in the bottom for a SLR, couple of lenses, filters etc. I would use it on hikes in the Alps where I'm often out for the day and not carrying masses of photo gear.
The Lowepro seems ideal but it's fairly new on the market, I just wondered if anyone had one and could give me benefit of experience before I splash any cash.
14 Jan 2012 6:57PM
Hi seahawk
I had similar problem, went for a berghaus free flow 25+5 daypack and put camera gear in tuffluv bag for slr inside it. Direct from tuffluv site .
Berghaus daypacks are highly rated and the free flow system is excellent also waterproof
All combination photo backpacks I looked at had the camera kit in the bottom, the first thing that hits the deck when I do a bambi impression.
Cheers
Jb
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 7:16PM
Hi JB
I know what you mean about the Bambi impression!
I would still prefer to have quick access to camera in the bottom of the bag though.
14 Jan 2012 11:45PM
Good evening

I'm new here, so I hope you don't mind my post. If your looking for a Camera bag that also doubles as a day pack, I use a National Geographic explorer for my outdoor work. It has plenty of room for camera + kit and lenses but still has a large compartment for a flask,sarnies and waterproofs etc. Whilst it may be canvas it's damn hardwearing (spent plenty of time on both my back and on the floor whilst scrambling up hills etc)and even tho it lacks a waist belt it's pretty comfortable for all day use and has a separate waterproof cover for when the heavens open. Pretty well padded to protect your kit and mine has been treated pretty roughly, including a trip round east Africa and it still looks like a (fairly) new pack !

As I work outdoors in a pretty harsh enviroment generally (not in photographic sense) I tend to be pretty choosy about my kit - this has not dissapointed in the two years I've had it and no bits have broken or stitching split etc. May not be the trendiest looking but.....

Just my thoughts and thanks for hosting me
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2012 3:33PM
If you have a rucsac already you can buy padded camera bag inserts from companies like Domke for about 30. Even a cheap purpose-designed rucsac will be more comfortable than most camera ruscacs. And they have pockets to carry the extras like spare battery, filters and cleaning kit. And they don't scream 'expensive camera gear inside'.
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2012 12:53PM
Thanks for the tip Mike, I hadn't thought of an insert. I have a great Osprey rucksack for Alpine walks, maybe I can adapt that.
16 Jan 2012 6:11PM
Been looking at getting a new bag myself and found a company called F-Stop seem quite good.

http://fstopgear.com/en/loka
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2012 1:45PM
Your Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW looks good, though has the waist straps i personally dislike.
My fav camera backpack is the Lowepro Flipside 300 and they do do a 400 version with your side waist straps.

Are you going to strap a tripod to it?
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2012 9:20PM
Hi Jack

I want to be able to access camera without taking the ruchsack off so the Flipside is no good, sorry.
On hikes in the Alps I don't normally take a tripod. I have Sigma 18-200 OS and Leki Sierra walking pole with camera attachment in the top. I just attach a simple ballhead and that does the job.
Most of the Alpine shots in my PF were taken handheld or with the Leki.
J4MIE e2
7 38 Scotland
22 Jan 2012 4:52PM

Quote:I want to be able to access camera without taking the ruchsack off so the Flipside is no good, sorry.
On hikes in the Alps I don't normally take a tripod. I have Sigma 18-200 OS and Leki Sierra walking pole with camera attachment in the top. I just attach a simple ballhead and that does the job.
Most of the Alpine shots in my PF were taken handheld or with the Leki.

Seahawk, I just got a Flipside 400 last week to replace my aging Tamrac Expedition 5. It is a slightly more snug fit for all the gear (can just squeeze my 11.6" laptop in too) but I think it is far, far more comfortable to wear. If it's not totally full of gear then you can change the layout of the padding so can fit plenty of day use stuff (sandwiches etc) and the front pocket is pretty big and could fit a large waterproof jacket in there I'm sure. That's my plan for a trip to New Zealand later this year!

You can take off the shoulder straps and swing the bag around also, so you can get into it without taking it off and no more hassle than a sling bag.

I was looking to get a Kata bumblebee but at over 200 I couldn't justify it..... Jessops had it in their store for 89.99 but I got on my smartphone and reserved it online with a 10% off code and came back 40 mins later and got it for 57.56!! Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.