Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera Bag

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jembo
jembo  10104 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 - 10:45 PM

I need a new kit bag.
I was going to go to Jessops in Birmingham as they (allegedly) had one of all Lowepro kit bags - but they went bust a few days prior. So I have been looking on line, but it's difficult to decide when you can't actually see the item in front of you.
So I have been to Calumet today and been looking at a Lowepro SlingShot 202 bag (at least I think it was the 202 - certainly one of the 20* models) - very good but just not quite big enough.
I have a Canon 5D, 24-105 L, 17-40 L, fish eye, flashgun, and Lee Filter kit. And ideally I would like a bag with a tripod attachment.
The L lenses have lens hoods and when put in the bag (with the 24-105 on camera) with the camera in the middle 'T' position, the side compartments for additional kit was tight on the 24-105.
I know there is a bigger version, the SlingShot 302, and it is considerably wider when looking at the bag upright. But I'm not sure if the kit compartment is bigger so that the lenses will sit comfortably. The information (sizes) on the Lowepro site is confusing in that the interior sizes for the different models are as follows;

200 - 8.7W X 5.9D X 11.8H in.
202 - 8.9W X 5.5D X 11.0H in.
302 - 11.4W X 5.9D X 10.6H in.

So Although the 302 is the widest in the range (or should that be deepest) and the larger dimension allows a longer lens to be stored in the central compartment, either side of this there is the least space for additional kit. That does seem rather odd to me.

Does anyone have any of these bags, and can I ask how much gear you are getting in, as I think the marketing blurb '3 to 4 additional lenses' must mean small lenses (or at least not the larger 'pro' lenses).

And if anyone uses the same gear as me, can I ask what you use?
And if anyone else has any recommendations, it would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Feb 2013 - 10:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Keebsuk
Keebsuk Junior Member 132 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 - 12:56 AM

Hi Jembo and re your camera bag, do you want a sling type or have you also considered a back pack? The reason I ask is that a back back spreads the weight of your kit far more evenly.

When buying a camera bag, I always buy the largest rather than smallest. There is always a chance that you may get more kit so, in my opinion, its always nice to have room.

Your best bet is to look on http://www.cambags.com/ as they have a huge amount of info on a wide variety of bags.

Hope this helps a little.

Andy

Ray12
Ray12 e2 Member 173 forum postsRay12 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 7:20 AM

Hi, a few years back i was doing the same... went into my local camera shop talked to them about it, thay said that if i went onto Lowepro websit and through a link you can get to a site where all you have to do is type in what kind of equipment you have, it would then come up with the best bag for you.
Cheers Ray

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43821 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 7:59 AM

Hi,
This is the link Ray refers to

Malc

jembo
2 Feb 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I tried that link to the Lowepro Bag Finder and one of the bags hat comes up is the Pro Runner 200 (they also had a 300 model). I looked at one of these yesterday and did think about this one. Maybe I'll have to give it a second look.

Coast
Coast Critique Team 6933 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom290 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 1:00 PM

I have similar kit to yourself. I also had the Lowepro slingshot which the kit fitted into ok bar a tripod holder. In the end sold the slingshot on as it was very uncomfortable on days out and just didn't suit me. Bought a Tamrac Adventure 9 which with dual straps and lumbar belt is very comfortable even on full day treks with all the gear in. Top compartment has plenty of room for all my Lee filters and a rain jacket and the tripod straps under the bag and gives good balance. Also holds my laptop and the padded back is very comfortable.

With the weight of the full frame Canon kit and L lenses I feel the slingshot bags just pull on one side of the shoulder too much and end up becoming uncomfortable at best and cause neck and shoulder pain at worst.

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 2:20 PM

i have had lots of camera bags over the years & what i would say is ,there isn't one that fits all your needs . but i do have a few lowepro ones now !

Ray12
Ray12 e2 Member 173 forum postsRay12 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 2:29 PM

Hi, Ray here, i know this is not about bags, also i am a new member, but i am having trouble down loading my picsSad is there something i should be doing that i have missed????

SteveHunter
2 Feb 2013 - 3:50 PM

Quote: Hi, Ray here, i know this is not about bags, also i am a new member, but i am having trouble down loading my picsSad is there something i should be doing that i have missed????

Hi Ray, Welcome to the forum, you will find your way around eventually.

The best way to get help is to start a new topic in the correct area of the forum, if you look here http://www.ephotozine.com/forums there is a list of all the forum topics, if you select the appropriate one, then in the top right corner you will see a green button 'Start New Topic', select that and you can start a new topic with your question.

As to your question though, you would need to provide a bit more information. Where are you trying to download your pics from, and where are you trying to put them.

jembo
2 Feb 2013 - 4:38 PM

Thanks guys.

Coast - the Adventure 9 looks good. I just need to find a stockist to have a proper look. TBH, I hadn't thought about Tamrac. There are several in the Adventure series and a couple in particular worth having a closer look at.

I didn't particularly want a backpack but I guess it's something I just might have to consider.

Last Modified By jembo at 2 Feb 2013 - 4:39 PM
GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 5:33 PM

This is a completely different direction to the one you're headed in at the moment, but I use a Domke F-2, which holds plenty of gear (partly by dint of being economical with padding), is well made, and provides fast and easy access to your camera and lenses. It's also inconspicuous. Prior to that I had two backpacks (Lowepro/Tamrac - in my case the zip on the Tamrac lasted longer), and while they offered more comprehensive protection than the Domke they weren't so hot for encouraging me to bother getting the camera out!

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 10:55 PM

I looked at the 302 for my 7D/100-400 combo (I have the 200) and that would have fitted, but in the end I went for the FastPack 400.
From your kit It sounds like you may be doing some hiking and if that is the case I would suggest a backpack style as opposed to Slingshot because it is far more comfortable and stable for lots of gear. To be honest, if doing it again I would think very seriously about getting a hikers backpack rather than a camera backpack - a much better, much more comfortable shoulder/back harness and the side straps are far more secure for holding a tripod. You have more space for holding personal gear (coats, food, drink etc) and if you are bothered about pouches for keeping gear separate you can buy padded camera bag inserts. Plus (an advantage for some) it does not scream 'expensive camera gear'.

ade123
ade123 e2 Member 1163 forum postsade123 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 7:59 AM

Hi mike ,
Tha backpack/rucksack idea sounds very good as I was considering purchasing a bag myself
And I have just looked at my local go outdoors site and do you think this type of bag will do
The job. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/gelert-jet-set-80-plus-15-p103732 or this
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/tt-carry-on-40-p151735

Regards Adrian

Coast
Coast Critique Team 6933 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom290 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 7:36 PM

If you want a comfortable back pack which also doesn't scream photo gear then again I recommend the Tamrac adventure 9. Has loads of room for camera kit, filters and tripod can be attached with purpose made straps. Will take additional Tamrac pouches that fit to the shoulder straps and has a
Laptop pouch and a large top compartment that will take all those extras including Sandwiches and rain jacket. Like most hike back packs it has the side pouches for additional bits such as drinks bottle.

The back padding, straps, chest harness and lumbar belt make this a very secure and comfortable carry all. Great for hiking and it doesn't swing round pulling you off balance when traversing uneven ground or clambering over rocks.

It also comes within airline dimensions for carry on luggage which is a great benefit.

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 7:59 PM

Ade - a camera backpack has one advantage: with all the compartments and dividers it is designed to organise your bits and pieces so you know ecactly where they are and so give you uber quick access. So if you are intent on carrying 4 lenses, filters, a flash, extenders, alternative tripod head, spare body etc etc and you really want quick access, then this may be your best option. If you just want something to carry two spare lenses and a cleaning brush then any bag will do the job - and how comfortable a bag is is for you to decide.
The hioking backpack can also be used for...well...hiking as well, or shopping, or a day pack. A camera bag is somewhat limited to non-photographic dutiws.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.