Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera Bags

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Take-a-View
    6 Mar 2004 - 9:51 AM

Looking for a new bag for my Canon D300 plus 2/3 lenses and considering Lowepro. Any readers have any views?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Mar 2004 - 9:51 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Miles Herbert
    6 Mar 2004 - 10:18 AM

Lowepro make excellent camera bags. I have one of their rucksack type bags which is completely over stuffed with cameras and lenses. It is very well made, very tough, and fairly comfortable to wear considering that fully loaded it weighs a ton. I am planning to get one of their Stealth series bags as a lighter alternative for the days when I really don't need all the junk I usually carry.

UserDeleted
    6 Mar 2004 - 10:20 AM

With a body and 2-3 lenses, flash + batteries, filters and cards you probably have three choices;

- A traditional shoulder bag (AKA Reporter bag) with a shoulder strap. Good and easy access, but can be difficult to manage while you are shooting - especially if you need to move around at the same time. Can buy one that will take a laptop also.

- A rucksac. Poor access when on, but good weight distribution and you can shoot two handed and still move about

- A belt or pouch system (AKA Street and Field - sliplock). Mid access, customisable, can move about with it on. May get you some strange looks (basically it's like a "Bat-belt"). Addition of the attachable vest allows weight to be taken on the shoulders and back.

Simple choices on style - over the years I have used and own all three. I tend to use the belt system at the moment, with the rucksac for flying and longer hikes.

Lowepro are certainly the market leader - you can't go wrong in any of their systems. They also probably have the best selection of all weather bags and protection.

My advice is try them all out - it's expensive to swap over if you don't like the result.

Mike

collywobles
    16 Mar 2006 - 11:05 PM

I am looking at buying a LowePro Slingshot 100. Has anyone on line any experience of this one. I am a LowePro fan having a number of different bags, but this one just looks as though it going to be very easy to use. Anyone??

MattB
    MattB  8251 forum posts
    16 Mar 2006 - 11:10 PM

I was going to get Slingshot 100 the other day and was looking forward to being able to try it out in Jacobs in Leeds. They always had a VAST range of bags on display. But As I neared the store I noticed that shutters were down and a sign said they were closing due to lack of sales and might relocate in Leeds sometime in the future.

Sad.

wolf666
    wolf666  8497 forum posts England
    16 Mar 2006 - 11:37 PM

I have always been a Lowepro fan but I owned a slingshot 100 and could not get on with it at all. I found it difficult to position comfortably and when carrying anything it slipped down my back and got in the way. This was just my experience though but if you do try one make sure you have some wieght in it to really get a feel for it. I have just ordered a Tamrac Expedition 5 from E-Bay as I am off to Jersey and wasn't happy with the slingshot the new Tamrac range seem very good and they are cheaper than Lowepro size for size.

ahollowa
    ahollowa  101070 forum posts England
    17 Mar 2006 - 12:18 AM

I looked at a slingshot 100 in photo optics the other day. It was smaller than' I expected. I may still think of the slingshot 200 but if you are thinking of the 100 go and look at it as it' is not very large.

cheers

Al.

peter shilton
    17 Mar 2006 - 12:26 AM

I have got a Lowepro Nova 3 which is perfect for your needs!

I am selling it in the classifieds here.

It takes my 20D with a 70-300 lens fitted, tamron 90 mm lens, Canon 50mm lens and 18-55 lens and flash unit and teleconverter, plus cards, manuals etc.

The only reason it has to go is I have a 70-200L Canon lens which when fitted to the 20D is about an inch too long.

So snap yourself up a bagain in perfect condtion from me, or if you want a brand new one I would still recommend the bag. it is excellent. It also has a waterproof cover etc.

Peter

Base
    Base  9172 forum posts
    17 Mar 2006 - 12:28 AM

I was gerously given a Lowepro bag as a birthday gift last year and it is superb! I have the same kit you want to use it for in mine, and I keep everything else in it, flash, charger, cables. I just leave the lot in and it's still so well balanced the weight makes no difference. It's a beltpack with a shoulder strap and comes with a backpack you clip onto it and has an all weather cover that flops out to cover the main bag. I think it is an Orion AW(?!). Not cheap tho...!

plutoman
    plutoman  9347 forum posts
    17 Mar 2006 - 12:31 AM

I must agree with the above comments re Slingshot.. I bought the 200AW but found it difficult to get comfortable with and also to be surprising small inside.. Even the camera body was a tight fit. I put it straight on Ebay.. Ive since went back to my old Lowepro Reporter which is a good, quick access shoulder bag. Still looking for something slightly bigger though...

Craig

PeterLondon
    17 Mar 2006 - 12:38 AM

Having tried many types of bags over the years I have to say the Lowepro Slingshot 200 is the best thing since sliced bread.

Carries far more than it looks like it will.

I typically carry D2X with 18-200mm attached, 10-20mm, 30mm f1.4, 180mm f2.8, Sb800 flash plus curly lead, filters, a wooly hat, gloves and a chamois to dry rain off the camera. It all fits really snugly and everything is accessible without taking it off.

For me this is the perfect bag... good weight distribution (even with all the above it doesn't feel heavy) and ability to get at everything and change lenses without having to take it off or put it down somewhere.

It even has its own clever rain hood thing built in.

collywobles
    17 Mar 2006 - 2:03 AM

Many thanks for the comments. The reason I am/was looking at it was the convenience of not having to take it off (unlike my Lowe Rover AW) When I go walking in the hills I use the Rover but as I'm in Madrid next week I thought that the Slingshot might be more convenient in a city -- now I'm not so sure. I will go into a shop and try one - thanks again everyone.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Mar 2006 - 2:36 AM

I've got the slingshot 200 as well & find it does hold more than you would think. My only gripe is that because of the curve of the strap you can only carry it one way & I find after a while my shoulder aches & I would like to swap over but can't. I think next time I would go for a backpack for carrying larger amounts of gear & use the slingshot for travelling light.

pmalcolm
    pmalcolm  1047 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Mar 2006 - 2:37 AM

I have the lowepro slingshot 200 excellent bag ideal for slr and 2 - 3 lenses, and very comfortable to carry round. I would definately recommend it

Martin54
    Martin54 e2 Member 8495 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
    17 Mar 2006 - 3:12 AM

You might want to look at this website cambags.com which gives pictures of cameras actually in various makes of bag. It has expanded over the last year or so to include users reviews and forums.

Personally I use a Lowepro mini-trekker AW which is perfect for my D70 plus lenses, flash & accesories.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.