Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Camera Club Crinklies

28 Aug 2010 5:59PM
Hi all. I joined my local camera club a while ago to find I was the youngest there by a good few years (and I'm 40Sad), and to my surpries when I mentioned DIGITAL I was treated like a pariah. Most of them tutted and said "We don't do digital" a lot still develope their own pics in the bathroom I think. Now this is a skill I admire but surely we've moved on a bit. When the club has competitions they rearly have a theme and the slide catagory has some entries are 20+ years old. Am I missing the point here, I though club competitions were there to encourage the members to go out and experiment with new ideas and images. As for Photoshop well you'd have thought I'd said Harry Secome was the antichrist, "You can't take PICTURES with digital cameras now, there all just manipulated IMAGES, there's no skill anymore." was just one of many comments. All this aside I like a challenge and so I'm giving a digital slide demo with my laptop and projector in a few weeks so wish me luck.
Don't get me wrong the members are all lovely people and I enjoy going, but I feel like I'm gonna get a clip round the ear and sent out the room for being cheeky every time I mention Digital or Computers.

Has anyone else had this experience or am I the only one.

Cheers all

Lee (young at heartTongue)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_Hilton e2
9 561 2 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2010 6:21PM
I think what you describe here is typical of some camera clubs and what most non camera club attendees think happens. However I can assure you that not all clubs are like this at all. My local club Southport PS is very freindly and most of us are digital in some form or other. It really does not matter what medium you use more the image that counts.
You will find a good proportion of Ephotozine members hate camera clubs and will tell you to stay clear however I find my club interactive and informative and with well over 100 members is a good place to chat about new idea
Maybe there is another club a bit further away that would suit your needs more?
28 Aug 2010 6:26PM
As I said I like a challenge and that's what keeps me going. We'll see what happens at the demo I'm giving to convert them from slides and film to Digital projection. They'll eaither love it or lynch meSmile.

Ps Your club has over 100 members, my clubs members are over 100 Tongue
Nick_Hilton e2
9 561 2 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2010 6:29PM
Good attitude, I think if you start to suggest new things people will start to agree and back you - you might even increade their membership too.
wasper e2
8 532 1 Ireland
28 Aug 2010 6:36PM
At Cork camera group we are not bothered how the picture was produced. We have a digital competition & some members scan an image into digital. We have a slide competition which is dying out. And finally the printed one.
NexusImages e2
7 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2010 6:41PM
Lee, similar experience here for me, only add to this that I am a mere girl and can't possibly 'know' anything or be any good. I do have to chuckle though as I vividly remember one of the members rabbiting on about HDR and when I gave as good as I got he literally took a step back and said 'oh, so you know what you are talking about then' and cleared off. As for one of the other members stroking my hair at every opportunity.... well. You may guess that I don't go anymore. I do intend on going to a more local one as of Tuesday. I will share my experience when I have been.
28 Aug 2010 6:41PM
I must say the print competition is my favourite. But a lot of the members just recycle old pictures in this and the other catagories, they seem to have lost the enthusiasm to get out and take more pictures and that is such a shame.
Nick_Hilton e2
9 561 2 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2010 6:49PM
Amanda - I can guess which club your talking about. Its a shame you might be a little too far from South Liverpool CC as they are a great bunch.
NexusImages e2
7 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2010 6:59PM
Nick, maybe I was a bit harsh. They were a really good laugh but a bit stuck on film and anti photoshop. Yeah, South Liverpool is a bit far from me. Is always good to hear about good clubs Smile.
Nick_Hilton e2
9 561 2 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2010 7:09PM
There are plenty of good clubs thats why I felt I had to comment on this thread as most people on Ephotozine usually have bad experiences
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2010 7:12PM
Jump ship and take Nicks advice Smile
I have given clubs a bashing as Nick will testify and the one you mention is a carbon copy. South Liverpool CC appears to have got it right Wink
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2010 7:15PM
our club at Bolsover is nothing like that, in fact many of us are epz members too. the club has its turned on its head and gone from wet to digital in the last three years and whilst a lot of us are 50 plus we may be bald and wrinkly on the outside but we are still full of enthusiasm for our hobby
Phil
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
28 Aug 2010 11:54PM
my club are very much into digital, even the crinklies Smile

all I can suggest is, find another club, or set up your own,
Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
29 Aug 2010 1:04AM
When I joined a camera club with a large proportion of senior members a few years back, I hopefully asked if anyone used film, as I was hoping to get some darkroom experience and print some B&W film myself. I was viewed with bemusement, as they had all bar gone digital (there were about 2 or 3 out of a membership of around 150-200, using film as main or second camera, but all had a digital).

So you might want to stay for a year, and get something out of the experience before moving on, and setting up your own.

I'm quite envious!
29 Aug 2010 1:16AM
Don't get me wrong I would love to have my own darkrom for B&W and I've got nothing against it being used in the club, it was just the negative response I got to Digital that threw me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.