Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera Clubs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
25 Oct 2012 - 11:30 AM

Quote: It's very interesting to read the negative comments about clubs. The truth is you only get out of it what you put in. If you don't like the programme then put yourself forward as the programme secretary and change it! If you don't like the images then put yours forward so people can see something different. I am chair of our club and we have about 70 members. A club is for everyone not just a committee who work damned hard all year round to provide entertainment for the members. Stop slating them, join in and make a difference. They only stay the same because it will always be the same people year in, year out trying their darndest to please everyone at great personal cost of time, effort and no financial gain!

Sadly, Janeez, that applies to virtually every type of club of society. I am, or have been, secretary of two curling clubs, three angling clubs, two wildfowling clubs, one bowling club, one field studies society - and have been a committee member of several more.

The bad news is that, in all of those clubs, there have been more parasites than contributors but it is amazing how many passengers a well-run club can accommodate.

I don't mind newcomers taking a back seat for a year or two until they feel comfortable about making a full contribution. What really irks me - and it is general to all kinds of clubs - is that it it inevitably those who contribute least who are the complainers with the loudest mouths.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Oct 2012 - 11:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110166 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 12:08 PM

Quote: is that it it inevitably those who contribute least who are the complainers with the loudest mouths.

Applies to all aspects of life as far as my experience goes

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 1:29 PM

My strong impression, gained from a couple of visits many years ago, was that my local club had a minimum age of 80 and that digital was about as welcome as Count Dracula at a wedding. Grin

However, I recently went to one of their public exhibitions and found the photos gobsmackingly good. And apparently they nearly all use digital now. So things do change, and I may give the club another go.

strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 1:37 PM

If you went back now you would fit in well CB Wink

Last Modified By strawman at 25 Oct 2012 - 1:38 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 1:41 PM

Lol! Grin Actually this thread has inspired me to make some enquiries of the CC.

Their exhibition was of a standard as good as that I've seen anywhere.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54207 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 3:23 PM

I've disgraced myself at one club, got bored with another and was totally ignored by members at a third. I've given up clubs now. Grin

Carabosse
25 Oct 2012 - 3:24 PM

Quote: I've disgraced myself at one club,

Tell us more! Grin

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 4:06 PM

i should think if they were all 80 many years ago then the renaissance may have something to do with newer members possibly younger.

our club has members from 20 to 83 and the 83 year old is pretty damn good at photography except that he is not quite as prolific as he was.

in truth being in a club, widens to being part of the federations that make up the PAGB. with interclub and interfederation battles, exhibitions and the widespread entering of international salons.

work tend to be of a very high standard at out of club levels. in clubs you have very mixed abilities but with the experienced workers moving in interclub and federation circles the standard is pretty universally international.

this is evident - take a look at say the ypu or nempf federations annual exhibitions on line and you will see that most of the images are currently being used on the fiap psa circuits.

the work is noticably different to epz gallery, far less landscape and flowers and bird on a stick pictures. in clubs and exhibitions a bird would at least need to be doing something to get an acceptance, and more recently mid air mating, nest building whilst fighting an opponent would barely score. on the other hand there are a lot of Goth creations, f4 double head shots, and manipulated landscapes.

its an interesting world that needs time to settle into but one that suits me well enough.

there are a lot of active club members on epz who seem conspicious by their silence

Phil

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 4:17 PM

as a side issue. there is a train of thought about the conventional clubs, seats packed with beginners and the programme being tailored to suit them to the detriment of more advanced members. no doubt all due to the rapidly rising digital game with top notch camera phones, i pads, compacts etc. in some ways the clubs may be guilty of taking their money whilst the standards drop.

its not like this in my club but city clubs with over a 100 members i have seen this happen. cash rich but no success.

this has created new breakaway groups that seem to be popping up around the country.

google Wigan 10, DAPA, beyondgroup, etc. these were set up to encourage competition, salon entry and success with a view to gaining awards and distinctions such as efip, psa star ratings, bpe star ratings, royal photographic society distinctions. members help each other, they work to targets and send entries to salons collectively. this type of organisation may suit some better than others.

epz has a member (unnamed) who is in such a group, and this person is enjoying unpresidented success in international salons in their first year. several other epzters are in these other groups too.

Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 25 Oct 2012 - 4:19 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54207 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 4:24 PM

Quote: I've disgraced myself at one club,
Tell us more! Grin

I couldn't possibly. Grin

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110166 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 4:30 PM

Quote: there is a train of thought about the conventional clubs, seats packed with beginners and the programme being tailored to suit them to the detriment of more advanced members

We have a wide range of skills and abilities in our club and have put several things in place to help the beginners that seem to work well without seeing this problem, for example:

- named "Focal point" members with specific area of expertise that others can tap into, so we have "Canon", "Nikon", "Bridge Camera", "Adobe" etc persons available for members to quiz if / when they need help

- our monthly Digital sub-Group meetings always allocate some time at the beginning of each meeting for a "Help" session

- every now and then the Digital Group run beginners courses on requested subjects

- several of us provide one on one and small group tuition sessions / shoot-alongs

Rather than holding back the standard of the club we are finding that providing such help to beginners is actually honing the skills of those providing the help

The only real problem is that some of our "beginners" are getting rather good and causing us problems in the club competitions! Tongue

NEWMANP
25 Oct 2012 - 8:26 PM

well so are ours Brian, they are tagging on to our regular field trips and picking up tips side by side with experienced workers.

like i said its not happening at our club but i am seeing it in some larger clubs that maybe dont get out together much
Phil

pennyspike
pennyspike  112068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 3:44 PM

Running a thriving club is really hard work & time consuming, even with a great team all doing their bit.

We have a busy website, quite a few of us are known on the NAtional & International scene and support the club in numerous ways with exhibitions and community support. As I write two of our members are driving for 5 hours to support the club in a a national club print comp.
We have as many members as we can shoe-horn in and welcome all levels of experience.
Being popular means we can afford to get inspirational speakers such as Keith H, who we met through EPZ and others who are featured here.

Sadly this means very little time left for EPZ but I'm pleased that both have encouraged me to achieve so much over the years.

Zydeco_Joe
31 Oct 2012 - 11:16 PM

Has anyone found camera clubs to be funny, and sometimes snooty places?

No only people are snooty or the sort that turn up once stand at the back never speak to anyone go home and write on web site how no body spoke to them LOL LOL lol

Find a good local club and you will get loads more out of your photography.

dynexclick
31 Oct 2012 - 11:54 PM

haha, I was sat at the front, and I'm never that quiet.
Clubs in the traditional sence with commities, secrateries, and treasurers etc tend to be too wrapped in their Letters, titles and borders. I've found just going on trips out with other photographer friends more rewarding than going to club nights in village halls.

Last Modified By dynexclick at 31 Oct 2012 - 11:54 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.