Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera connected to TV

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mjsayles
    mjsayles  81019 forum posts
    6 Jun 2007 - 11:46 AM

The other day I tried connecting our digital compact to the TV so that we (some mates and I) could watch the movies and snaps we'd taken on a day out.

The cables were self-explanatory, so we hooked it up and turned on the TV and camera. Hey-preston, the movies/photos appeared on the TV.

However, after a short while (20 - 30 seconds), the camera (which was on the floor) was really highly charged with some kind of electricity - it well like it was 'humming' to the touch, and didn't feel safe.

Is this normal? Iím thinking notÖ

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Jun 2007 - 11:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jun 2007 - 11:49 AM

Probably a fault with the TV in question.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jun 2007 - 12:00 PM

Some kind of interferance, use a longer cable or replace the one you have. It will need to be well shielded.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    mjsayles
    mjsayles  81019 forum posts
    6 Jun 2007 - 6:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd be surprised if the TV was faulty, because it's fairly new (and not cheap LOL!), and works perfectly in all other respects.

I'll try a longer cable, see if that helps.

It was a really weird sensation when I picked the camera up and it felt like it was plugged directly into the mains!!! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jun 2007 - 6:59 PM

Try it again, but this time move the cable around. If its interferance as I think it is, it will alter, fade etc depending on where the cable is positioned. keep the cable away from the screen and tv speakers.

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jun 2007 - 7:27 PM

But if you have connected to the video in then the screen of the Video lead should be grounding your camera, and the only place it can pick up mains potential is the Tv so I would check the main plug connection to your Tv and if it is still happening I would request that the Tv is inspected by the supplier.

Was your camera pluged into its mains adaptor? And if you have enough magnetic leakage to couple onto a video cable I would be worried.

Audio mains pick up is something else.

Last Modified By strawman at 6 Jun 2007 - 7:28 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.