Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Camera Conversions for Astro photography

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
17 Feb 2011 7:07PM
Does anyone know of a UK company that will replace the sensor filter on a dSLR to suit it for astro-photography. I assume that it is a similar operation to converting for IR although, for astro work, we need to retain the sensitivity to the visible spectrum while extending it a bit beyond 700nm.

Basically I want to get an old Nikon D70 converted to act like the custom-built Canon EOS 20Da.

There was a firm called ACS that did IR conversion work but they seem to have gone belly-up as they don't respond to e-mails.

Any ideas?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
17 Feb 2011 7:13PM

Quote:There was a firm called ACS that did IR conversion work but they seem to have gone belly-up as they don't respond to e-mails.

Interesting.

I was considering sending my trusty D70 off to them for conversion... Sad

Why not contact their nemesis in the US - Life Pixel and get their input?
17 Feb 2011 7:34PM
Check this site, the guy gave a brilliant lecture with awesome pics at our local camera club, He used a Nikon d200 with 200mm lenses may be of some use, don't recall he had to modify camera but he used a neat gismo on the tripod to track stellar movement

http://cosmicbug.wordpress.com/

Bill
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
17 Feb 2011 7:57PM
http://astrosurf.com/buil/d70/ircut.htm

Remove it yourself, then use external filters to get halpha sensitivity.

~(Astronomik IR-block ) ~

super easy.
17 Feb 2011 8:07PM
Thanks Sam - I lost that link a while ago!!
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
17 Feb 2011 8:12PM
They are quite easy to do, you just need the right thickness screw driver - makes it a doddle.

Generally nikons are quite easy to remove parts from; compared to point and shoots an canon - which tend to use more film-like IR cut offs.

- Make sure you do this in a positive pressure environment, dust is a big problem.
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
17 Feb 2011 8:13PM
Some on SGL use Astronomiser , but quite a few go DIY SGL . Either way there will be plenty of help and advice there.
17 Feb 2011 9:48PM

Quote:...you just need the right thickness screw driver - makes it a doddle.

...and that I have!

Wink
MikeA 10 1.2k England
18 Feb 2011 9:18AM
I had my old D10 converted using Astronomiser , works a treat and at a reasonable price.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.