Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera display case

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315581 forum posts England
14 Sep 2011 - 11:29 AM

Long shot here - I am looking for a piece of furniture (possible wall mounted) that I can used to display my camera collection. They are currently on shelves but I want them behind glass so I don't have to keep dusting them. The case would need to be no more than say 20cm deep, maybe up to a metre wide and say 60-80cm high. It needs shelves and a glass front (sliding or swing open) to display up to 40 cameras.
I've looked everywhere I can think of and can't find anything suitable without spending hundreds of pounds.
If I'm not successful I'm going to have to build my own Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Sep 2011 - 11:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2011 - 11:43 AM

I assume you've looked through Ikea collection? Surprised they don't have anything

Big Bri
14 Sep 2011 - 11:45 AM

I have looked through Ikea. Nothing the right size.

Andy_Cundell
14 Sep 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hiya Bri

As a long shot, have you tried Ebay? My brother in law collects Oakley sunglasses and managed to pick up an old shop fitted Oakley display case. There must be something on there that interests you!

Andy

Big Bri
14 Sep 2011 - 12:11 PM

There are loads of cabinets, for instance this one looks almost exactly what I am looking for.

But they tend to be only 10cm deep and I need at least 15cm, preferable 20cm. Some CD shelving looks the right size, but they never have glass fronts.

scottishphototours

Bri,

Try Retif the shopfitters - their catalogue has several on page 49, some very close to your size.... Retif

Andy

Big Bri
14 Sep 2011 - 12:51 PM

Thanks Andy, they have some stuff that would be perfect, but was really hoping to spend a bit less (it would be getting on for 500).

bainsybike
14 Sep 2011 - 1:14 PM

Do you have any "antique" shops in your area? Might be worth a browse.

Big Bri
14 Sep 2011 - 1:38 PM

I live in Hungerford. I'm surrounded by antique shops. Smile

Big Bri
14 Sep 2011 - 1:39 PM

I mean, this would be nice, but 700 ????

Andy_Cundell
14 Sep 2011 - 2:55 PM

I have a cunning alternative, if you have the time...........................why not try making one your self!

It could be a great little project for the dark winter nights, if you have a slight 'skill of hand' with wood! You will get exactly what you want and I'm betting it would only cost 100 or so on wood (ok maybe 200 to allow for mistakes if you woodwork grades were like mine!)

Maybe start looking at old display kitchen units as well? I would post a link but the firewall at work lets me go to childrens websites, the BBC and here!

If not, try selling your photos for a wee bit more to save up for that lovely 700 one, it is nice!

Andy

bainsybike
14 Sep 2011 - 2:56 PM

I was thinking more on the lines of this sort of thing. Sometimes you can find the top (bookcase) half by itself for not very much money.

Big Bri
14 Sep 2011 - 3:05 PM

Quote: I was thinking more on the lines of this sort of thing. Sometimes you can find the top (bookcase) half by itself for not very much money.

I see. Yes, there's always the possibility I might find something like that, although it would look odd in my office with all my other furniture... Smile

Andy C - check out the last line of my original post Smile my woodworking skills are... limited. Usually involving lots of swearing and quite often a fair amount of blood.

Big Bri
14 Sep 2011 - 3:09 PM

Everything I can find is either 9.5/10cm deep, or 27/30cm. I suppose I could buy Ikea Billy and saw it in half. If I don't post anything next week, you'll know I had a nasty accident with my circular saw.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2011 - 3:15 PM

I'm pretty sure older Ikea CD stacks had glass options. I saw one listed on ebay when I was looking for Bennos

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.