Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera pricing!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ChristopherSmith

Please can somebody tell me why camera prices rise like they do. I assume that it is driven by the manufacturer? but its not something you see often on other popular electronic goods so why cameras. The reason i ask is because ive being watching the d300 lately and its gone up nearly a hundred pounds since crimbo.

Last Modified By ChristopherSmith at 23 Jan 2009 - 11:32 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jan 2009 - 11:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bulldozer
bulldozer  7100 forum posts England
23 Jan 2009 - 11:55 AM

Would have thought it would have quite a bit to do with the changes in the exchange rates as the value of the has decreased against the likes of the Japanes Yen and US Dollar etc.

I also overheard the guy on the Sigma stand at the SWPP Trade Show last week saying that Sigma's prices are all going up in February as well. Sad

Artois
Artois  8405 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2009 - 12:15 PM

Gutting for those who were waiting for further price drops on equipment but with the falling pound prices had to increase. I would not be surprised if they jump yet again. I am going to wait now until pound is strong again, probably at least 3 years lol!
Stella

Brom
Brom  9804 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Jan 2009 - 2:22 PM

yes god forbid that the consumers in the uk pay what their counterparts in Europe do. Lets jack up the prices to maintain the inequal profit margins rather than let the market equalise across europe.

Lets see how fast they change when the money markets go the other way?

Last Modified By Brom at 23 Jan 2009 - 2:25 PM
Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2009 - 2:28 PM

Prices are going up because of the weakness of Sterling against the Yen. Also the weakness of Sterling to the Euro meant that many Europeans were buying from dealers in the UK as Uk prices were relatively cheap. Consequently some of the price moves may be to protect European dealers.

There could be more price increases yet. Someone here yesterday reported that Bogen/Manfrotto prices are going up on Feb 1st.

Last Modified By Henchard at 23 Jan 2009 - 2:31 PM
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2009 - 2:31 PM

Quote: Lets jack up the prices to maintain the inequal profit margins rather than let the market equalise across europe.

Ermmm, how do you know that the profit margins are unequal? Profit margins are usually a closely-guarded trade secret. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

User_Removed
23 Jan 2009 - 2:35 PM

I posted a comment on a thread some days ago now with regard to pricing and the disclosure by Nikon Australia of their retailer price list (i.e. the list of all Nikon products and the prices dealers have to pay).

It showed that the profit margin on a D3 for instance was 19% up to a massive 100% on some items like batteries, lens hoods etc. They typical margin was in the 20-25% ball park.

Bear in mind this is Australia and not Europe but I imagine they work on similar profit margins and that Canon are probably pretty close Smile

Brom
23 Jan 2009 - 2:40 PM

it was my belief that the pound and the euro were trading at roughly similar values, surely that would mean that the items sold in those countries would theoretically be about the same?

Last Modified By Brom at 23 Jan 2009 - 3:11 PM
strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2009 - 2:55 PM

No the pound has fallen against the euro and the $ lets keep it simple and say the has fallen badly against most of the major currencies out there.

strawman
23 Jan 2009 - 2:56 PM

Also expect most major items like TV's to start going up. We are paying the price for manufacturing so little now. What you are seeing is the stock being reduced to create liquidity, so prices will start to rise as stock gets ordered in.

Last Modified By strawman at 23 Jan 2009 - 2:57 PM
Brom
23 Jan 2009 - 3:15 PM

the point was its fallen to a level comparable to the euro

Bridgelayer
23 Jan 2009 - 3:23 PM

As the luxury goods go up in price,(digi cams are included in the RPI), along with essential and seasonal foodstuffs, the price of fuel and heating costs drop. This will balance out to show that we are financially stable, therefore inflation will remain low.

My r-send. Or am I being a cynic?

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2009 - 3:33 PM

Quote: The point was its fallen to a level comparable to the euro

Your missing the point the pound has fallen to nearly parity with the euro thus an equivalent hour's work in Euroland will earn say 16 Euros an hour as opposed to say 10 pounds in the UK (the minimum wage in Ireland is over 8 Euros an hour compared to just over 5 pound in the UK). Thus someone being paid in Euros can buy more Yen for their work (and thus cameras appear more expensive to us) than can someone in the UK.

I've not explained it well - but someone with an hours minimum wage coming from Ireland to the UK has about 8 pounds to spend for their hour's work, conversely some one going from the UK to Europe only has 5 Euros to spend. Help can someone more eloquent explain this better!

Last Modified By Henchard at 23 Jan 2009 - 3:37 PM
strawman
23 Jan 2009 - 3:50 PM

Last summer I was getting 1.5 or so for every 1 I gave to the exchange company. Today it is close to 1 per .(not exact numbers but close enough) So whilst off in Venice sunning myself, the 30 lunch my wife and I had cost us 20, whilst to repeat the trip it would cost me 30.

So parity is a nightmare. But the reverse is also true.

So the 300 camera that once sold in the uk for 200 now will cost 300........

MikeA
MikeA  91173 forum posts England
23 Jan 2009 - 4:48 PM

Quote: So the 300 camera that once sold in the uk for 200 now will cost 300........

.... or not sell at all.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.