Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Camera pricing!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

chris.maddock
23 Jan 2009 - 4:53 PM

Might as well buy it anyway - the interest rates hardly make it worth saving at present :-(

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jan 2009 - 4:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2009 - 5:05 PM

Basically we're doomed.

North sea oil running out
The city of London f*****d
Manufacturing industry virtually gone

All we've got left is some call centres, some underused shopping centres and, and, and well that's about it really. Now why would anyone invest their overseas currencies here? Very good question. So don't expect to see the pound improve much in the foreseeable future.

Last Modified By Henchard at 23 Jan 2009 - 5:06 PM
User_Removed
23 Jan 2009 - 5:08 PM

....but we do make a nice cup of tea and there's always hot buttered crumpets! Smile

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2009 - 5:11 PM

Quote: ....but we do make a nice cup of tea and there's always hot buttered crumpets!

True, but both tea and most breadmaking flour has to be imported. So we won't even be able to afford that. Stale bread and dripping for you I'm afraid.

Still 'Crash Gordon' is on the case and all will be well in the end with warm muffins and the nice rosy glow of being British and proud of it.

Last Modified By Henchard at 23 Jan 2009 - 5:13 PM
User_Removed
23 Jan 2009 - 5:15 PM

Having met, listened to and chatted with the "alternatives" on many occasions over the past 2 years, I am not confident that I would want my future in their hands either Smile

Sometimes the expression 'better the devil you know' really is true Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 23 Jan 2009 - 5:15 PM
stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2009 - 5:15 PM

Quote: North sea oil running out

True, but inevitable - fortunatly oil and gas is getting cheaper just at the moment.

Quote: The city of London f*****d

True - not sure if that's the technical term. And this is a big problem. The city was a major source of employment and tax revenue. Since the whole banking/inurance/merchant banking system is a busted flush that tax income has been lost just when we need it most (to pay for the growing unemployment, aging populations, declining population of working age etc)

Quote: Manufacturing industry virtually gone

True and good riddance. Plenty of other ways to make money and the UK is rather good at some of them.

As you say, doomed.

chris.maddock
23 Jan 2009 - 5:28 PM

Quote: Still 'Crash Gordon' is on the case

You mean "no more boom and bust" Gordon?

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2009 - 5:47 PM

Quote: Manufacturing industry virtually gone. True and good riddance.

Now that is a sad statement as it was manufacturing that drove the British Economy and kick off our economic growth, go back to the industrial revolution..

Without the manufacturing I do not think you have true wealth generation and have less security as services are moved to where they are needed. Look at the world economy, look at the economies that have proportionally grown over the last 20 years, spot a link? It is either on the back of manufacturing or energy.

stolzy
23 Jan 2009 - 6:18 PM

Quote:
Now that is a sad statement as it was manufacturing that drove the British Economy and kick off our economic growth, go back to the industrial revolution..

Correct use of past tense and historical context. Its over, forget it. There is no way we can compete in the long term in manufacturing with countries whose cost of production is a fraction of ours. It might be sad, but the sooner we get used to it the better.

strawman
23 Jan 2009 - 6:28 PM

You have a couple of assumptions I think can be challenged.

First you assume our cost base will always be higher, well at the moment our cost base is falling while theirs is rising. Things will naturally balance out. For example do you think people in China and India will always want to work for low wages? So their wage demands will rise.

Secondly, as we start to appreciate the real cost of transport, the make local v's make far away model changes. And if you factor in the shipping times and reactions to a dynamic market that becomes even more apparent.

Third economy and politics. we will start to see a backlash against imported goods as unemployment rises. Also we will start to wake up to where the cash flow is....

Fourth environmental legislation will even out, China will soon have some stricter environmental laws than USA in some areas. This will push costs.

Fifth development, manufacturing need not always be large blast furnaces and machine shops. As automation etc rises it starts to not matter where you build it. Take many modern electronic goods labour will be under 10% of the unit costs, transport and energy could soon run to higher.

So its not as black as you think..

strokebloke
23 Jan 2009 - 6:49 PM

Strange really - I thought I'd joined a photography site.
I now don't have a clue where I got that b****y stupid ideas from. Smile
Do Gordon the Moron & the Hon Darling ever pop in for the tea & crumpets that Barrie was talking about?

Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2009 - 6:54 PM

Quote: ....do you think people in China and India will always want to work for low wages? So their wage demands will rise.

When this happens (in China at least) the factory is simply moved to another principality.

jas

strawman
23 Jan 2009 - 6:54 PM

Quote: Strange really - I thought I'd joined a photography site.

Nah you just get people that have not worked how to do a google search poping in Wink

It passes the time whilst batch processing some Infra-red images. and it answers the question, how come cameras are going up in price.

Last Modified By strawman at 23 Jan 2009 - 6:56 PM
strokebloke
23 Jan 2009 - 7:22 PM

Quote: ....... and it answers the question, how come cameras are going up in price.

Oh, yes.
Sorry. I missed the bit about the camera Smile

What I do find immensely interesting [& almost equally amusing]Strawman, is getting an insight into the personalities of the various people who contribute, who have been, so far, to me, nothing more than names. We are all 'characters', whatever our individual capabilities either in front of, or behind, the lens of a camera. Wink

stolzy
23 Jan 2009 - 7:23 PM

I could respond to all of those, but maybe here is not the place.

However, I never said it was a bad thing to lose manufacturing - good riddance I said.
Its not necessarily a bad thing if we move on to a more knowledge-based economy

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.